Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Default Urgent Help!

okay, when I move around the strings of my guitar to chech the tightness of my strings I found that my b string is in tune but is really loose, and my e string is very tight. What do I do to make all the strings the same tension.

By the way I'm using a wolfgang.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang_'99 View Post
    okay, when I move around the strings of my guitar to chech the tightness of my strings I found that my b string is in tune but is really loose, and my e string is very tight. What do I do to make all the strings the same tension.

Are you using a tuner? They could be tuned to the correct note but in a different key. This may sound stupid but, are you sure you have the correct strings in their proper order?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Move around the strings to check the "tightness" - do you mean tension? And by moving around the strings - are you talking about moving the saddles for intonation?

First of all there is a very simple answer to your question - there's not a chance in hell you're going to get all the strings to be the same tension. Whether this is all from a scientific standpoint or even a perceived standpoint - your unwound G (which should be everyone's favorite) and your high E are going to have more tension than the B - these are gauges using a system of tempered tuning here. You CAN equalize your spring tension, but not your string tension. You may have gotten a shit string on there, or you might want to ratchet up the spring tension if you have a Trem Wolf.

First, I'd try throwin on a brand new B if that is a brand new set of strings you have on there. Second, if it's not a new set, throw on a brand new set, and see how that works out. If you're not happy with the tension, tighten it up a bit - no matter what, the inherent and/or perceived tension of the B is not going to be like that of the high E or unwound G. There's no question shit like this drives everyone to lunacy every now and then. Hope you get it worked out man.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

The problem is that the rotating locater bar below the fret stress retensioner is frozen. This often requires being sent back to the factory for replacement. If you want a quick fix, get a drill with a 1/4" drill bit and drill five or six holes through the body of the guitar, it doesn't matter where. If that doesn't fix the problem, drill a few more. (Of course you know to heat the drill bit in the microwave for a few minutes before using it.)

If that still doesn't work, try a new E and B string and make sure they're on in the right order. Maybe take it to your local guitar shop and have them look at it.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The problem is that the rotating locater bar below the fret stress retensioner is frozen. This often requires being sent back to the factory for replacement. If you want a quick fix, get a drill with a 1/4" drill bit and drill five or six holes through the body of the guitar, it doesn't matter where. If that doesn't fix the problem, drill a few more. (Of course you know to heat the drill bit in the microwave for a few minutes before using it.)

If that still doesn't work, try a new E and B string and make sure they're on in the right order. Maybe take it to your local guitar shop and have them look at it.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

THE STUPIDEST ERROR I've EVER MADE. I put in the wrong guage of string. Problem solved.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

THE STUPIDEST ERROR I've EVER MADE. I put in the wrong guage of string. Problem solved.
    hopefully you didn't follow bullwinkle's step by step instructions to come to that realization!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Don't feel bad. You're still young, you'll make much stupider errors than that in the future.

I once used a guitar cable to connect the speaker out of an amplifier into the input of a mixing board. Don't try that at home.

Don't read this.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Don't feel bad. You're still young, you'll make much stupider errors than that in the future.

I once used a guitar cable to connect the speaker out of an amplifier into the input of a mixing board. Don't try that at home.
    That's classic.

How many channels did the mixer have? You still had plenty of input I.C.'s and other protective components to blow.

I have a repair shop in my store. This is more common than most may think.

I had a friend that quit selling music retail because he had a customer take a microphone and solder an a.c. cable to it, and plug it into a wall outlet. The guy brought it back complaining that it didn't work. The last straw for my buddy. He couldn't take it anymore.

I suggested he tell the guy that after plugging it in, one needs to lick the mic while standing in a bucket of water.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin View Post
    That's classic.

How many channels did the mixer have? You still had plenty of input I.C.'s and other protective components to blow.

I have a repair shop in my store. This is more common than most may think.
    Believe it or not, the mixer survived! It was a Peavey "box" mixer or powered mixer. I think it was an XR-600. It sounded like crap when I plugged the amp into it, but nothing got fried.
    I still have it in storage somewhere, I think. It was my go-to mixer/amp for lots of live things: CD players, drum machines, keyboards. If you ever see a used one, grab it!

Most of my heavy stuff is just gathering dust now, but I can't bear to part with it. I can carry in a backpack now what used to require a pickup truck.

Don't read this.