Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Default Van Halen III promotional footage

I was just looking through YouTube and came across an 11 part thing with a bunch of promotional interviews and autograhp signings, etc. right when VH3 was coming out. Tons of stuff I've never seen. Lots of shit slinging, which is always fun, but I feel bad for Gary. He was probably like "What the hell did I sign up for this disfunctional shit for?" Just check out part 11. Al is just freaking going off. Punch in "Van Halen III promotional footage" in the YouTube search box.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, VERY cool find! Thanks for that! Seen bits of these but never realised there was this much footage. A MUST SEE for any 3 Brigade member.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, watch part 4 and just see how much they were on form in 1998.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the live footage in parts 4,5 and 6 is pretty awesome....never saw any of that.

i only saw bits of part 11 before...Al is classic "they sound like little pissed off school girls!" hahahahahaha

i've said it before and I'll continue to say it, they should have finished that second record...they would have settled into each other and could have made some stellar music. I really felt there was an incredible amount of ambition and potential in that reccord...but hell...what do I know...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I was just looking through YouTube and came across an 11 part thing with a bunch of promotional interviews and autograhp signings, etc. right when VH3 was coming out. Tons of stuff I've never seen. Lots of shit slinging, which is always fun, but I feel bad for Gary. He was probably like "What the hell did I sign up for this disfunctional shit for?" Just check out part 11. Al is just freaking going off. Punch in "Van Halen III promotional footage" in the YouTube search box.
    Some of what I think your talking about is from Canadian programming. Yeah it is Canadian, I'm looking now at least video 11/11 is.

I love this quote from Video 11/11

Interviewer: Were you surprised about the amount of Press generated when Samy left, and then with David, and with Gary joining?

Alex: No...becuase they started it! .....

It's amazing to me how I can tell how Ed and Al probably over-talk every member of that band....Ed could barely get a word in edge-wise and Al just kept getting louder....
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.08.08 at 06:58 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A couple of things I noticed. I watched clips 8,9,10,11 and 2 so far.

1. Ed and Al say Sam quit. "He quit, what do you want us to do" If Sam says anything else, he is lying! Then they say something about it not being fun anymore and when that happens, you have to make a change. So which one is it, did he quit or did you kick him out because it wasn't fun anymore?

2. Ed was publicly proud of "How Many Say I". Now that is proof of some defective thinking!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The footage was available from JTT...

http://www.jamtothis.com/showthread....light=VH+Promo

Much better on disc than crappy utube quality

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

"i've said it before and I'll continue to say it, they should have finished that second record...they would have settled into each other and could have made some stellar music. I really felt there was an incredible amount of ambition and potential in that reccord...but hell...what do I know..."

I couldn't agree more. I really would love to hear what they recorded for the follow-up. Ed was on-fire both recording III and on the tour. Sadly, it may have been his swan song...

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Some of what I think your talking about is from Canadian programming. Yeah it is Canadian, I'm looking now at least video 11/11 is.

I love this quote from Video 11/11

Interviewer: Were you surprised about the amount of Press generated when Samy left, and then with David, and with Gary joining?

Alex: No...becuase they started it! .....

It's amazing to me how I can tell how Ed and Al probably over-talk every member of that band....Ed could barely get a word in edge-wise and Al just kept getting louder....

Also notice Mike says virtually nothing in any of these clips. He's probably thinking "I'd rather be in Cabo right now. Please Sam call me and get me the hell out of these uncomfortable interviews where Ed and Al are making asses out of themselves".
    I always find this era (96-98) of the band interseting. It seems that Ed just became a different person around then and got this chip on his shoulder. He started talking about his singers ego problems when it was actually his ego that was swelling. I wonder if finally realized maybe he was the problem after losing his 3rd singer in 3 years when Cherone left. Then came the "lost years" from '99-'03 where Ed & Al kind of fell off the face of the earth.
    At the end of the day, I do wish they would have finished the 3 followup. It probably wouldn't have been great, but it would have been something. Which is better than the nothing (ok, 3 songs) we've gotten since. Gary just didn't do it for me though. I almost cringe when watching him onstage. Nice guy though.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 18,051 Times in 8,922 Posts

Al
    At the end of the day, I do wish they would have finished the 3 followup. It probably wouldn't have been great, but it would have been something. Which is better than the nothing (ok, 3 songs) we've gotten since. Gary just didn't do it for me though. I almost cringe when watching him onstage. Nice guy though.
    Absolutely. HATE VHIII, would have loved to hear the follow up, Gary seems to be a nice talented guy who was an absolute wrong fit for VH. You have a couple of hard rock legends that you replace with the Donny Osmond of hard rock and wonder why people give you this look ?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Also notice Mike says virtually nothing in any of these clips. He's probably thinking "I'd rather be in Cabo right now. Please Sam call me and get me the hell out of these uncomfortable interviews where Ed and Al are making asses out of themselves".
    I always find this era (96-98) of the band interseting. It seems that Ed just became a different person around then and got this chip on his shoulder. He started talking about his singers ego problems when it was actually his ego that was swelling. I wonder if finally realized maybe he was the problem after losing his 3rd singer in 3 years when Cherone left. Then came the "lost years" from '99-'03 where Ed & Al kind of fell off the face of the earth.
    Your exactly right! Mikey just says things that make us fans say, "DUH! I already knew that!"

Mainly because I'm sure that's all the bros. let him say...the simple, implied things. I know that is speculation...but you'd have to be an idiot not to come to that conclusion.

The band started to go crazy when Eddie started to talk...period....put 2 and 2 together...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Judgement Day, Mine All Mine
    Last Online

04.29.10 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

awesome find, haven't seen most of it before.

it actually got me thinking about edward's guitar sound and how i liked everything up to 95 live and the III record... but 98 live and the tours in 04 and 08 onwards it's had a sort of lifeless dirty tone. Does anyone know what he changed in his set up? Did he stop using the detuner or harmonizers, or did he switch to 5150 amps in 98?

also his guitar never really went out of tune up until 98 live and the two tours following. could this be due to a change in technicians or the wolfgangs or what?

anyone else seem to think that III record and III live are completely different sounds guitar fx-wise?
    'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig

"Van Halen is the 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our driving' kinda music!" - Roth

I was trying to take the band in a direction that I thought was appropriate, and Roth was trying to take the band in more of a Las Vegas direction. And there he is. - Ed

I - On Fire
    II - Light Up the Sky
    WACF - Romeo Delight
    Fair Warning - Dirty Movies
    Diver Down - ....lol
    1984 - House Of Pain
    RDM3410 - Mailman
    5150 - 5150 (LWAN)
    OU812 - Mine All Mine
    FUCK - Judgement Day
    Balance - Crossing Over
    III - Fire In The Hole

---

Demos - Big Trouble
    Best Of I - CGTSNM
    Best Of II - Learning To See

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I really like the buzz-saw sound he had on this tour. The higher notes actually came out clean, but the chords crunched. It's totally different than the unclear sound he had in '04 and even '07.

Also, listening to how amazing his technique was still in '98 really makes me sad to listen to anything '04 and on. I still think there have been moments of brilliance this past tour, but it just isn't the same guy.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

damn, didn't Ed play great in '98?!