Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ed can't hear Al's drums ... and drinking

A buddy of mine in LA went to see the Van Halen show. He went with a personal friend of Roth's. They met up with Roth and were told a funny (but slightly odd) story. From what I am told, Roth showed up for sound check and Eddies rig was practically in front of Al's Kit and Roth was like "what's up with this?" .... Eddie told Roth that he is having a lot of trouble "hearing Al's kit" due to the sound problems on the tour etc. and that is why he had his rig placed there ... so it would remedy the problem. Evidently Roth and Eddie talked a bit and smoothed it over/compromised. From what I understand Eddie's rig is now extremely close to Al's kit on the side as opposed to how it was during the 1st half of the tour. Does anyone have confirmation of this???????

Also, Roth said Eddie is drinking again... (I just hope it is within reason)

Just some gossip that I was told. Take it for what it's worth.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Last Online

01.26.12 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Go ahead...spread it around...like shit on toast.
    "There is no racial bigotry here...Each of you is equally worthless!" --Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

"I'm not a rock star, I'm a musician. And I'll be damned if someone is gonna tell me what comes through me is not what they expected." -Eddie Van Halen

"I tell ya, I've been doing this for about 20 years now, and I still haven't figured out which is the right drumstick and which is the left drumstick." -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anubis72 View Post
    Go ahead...spread it around...like shit on toast.
    Rumor Mill? There was one?

Oh, by the way, most raving alcoholic's don't drink reasonable amounts of alcohol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I don't want to jump the gun but let's give Ed the benefit of doubt.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

A buddy of mine in LA went to see the Van Halen show. He went with a personal friend of Roth's. They met up with Roth and were told a funny (but slightly odd) story. From what I am told, Roth showed up for sound check and Eddies rig was practically in front of Al's Kit and Roth was like "what's up with this?" .... Eddie told Roth that he is having a lot of trouble "hearing Al's kit" due to the sound problems on the tour etc. and that is why he had his rig placed there ... so it would remedy the problem. Evidently Roth and Eddie talked a bit and smoothed it over/compromised. From what I understand Eddie's rig is now extremely close to Al's kit on the side as opposed to how it was during the 1st half of the tour. Does anyone have confirmation of this???????

Considering that your "gossip" is almost a month old...figuring Ed was beside Alex for almost the latter half of November and the whole month of December....you're not really brining to light anything that has not been known already....

Regarding the drinking...I believe Ed is innocent before guilty...however that last show in Vegas (from the YouTube clips I saw of his solo) doesn't make for a strong case
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

From what I am told, Roth showed up for sound check and...
    Hmm...

Since DLR (like Sammy before him) didn't attend soundchecks...can't help but wonder how much of the rest of this story is fabricated??

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Actually, there's nothing crazy about this. It all sounds about right for things in Van Heineken land.

Last Online

08.02.10 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    I think they call it TMZ.com now. Times are slow in the fabrication business.....I heard Fox News is playing re-runs because of the writer's strike.
    Last edited by abcrazy1; 01.07.08 at 08:55 PM.
    BACK FROM IRAQ!
    OIF II SEPT 17, 2004 -APR 30, 2005

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 2,066 Times in 670 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post

Oh, by the way, most raving alcoholic's don't drink reasonable amounts of alcohol.
    There was one?
    Is that a Stripes reference???

Love it!

Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This may not be the best place for this post...but I didn't want to start an "Ed and his drinking...." or "Ed's solos suck...." post.

So here's the take on it. If you played the same solo for 30 years wouldn't you want to mix it up a little? Ya know add a little here and there? The same with the songs...add a fill here and there. I don't want to hear a record when I see a Van Halen concert. I want the experience. I appreciate that Ed does some really weird shit. That's how we got some of the cool stuff that we here everyday and can't imagine a world without that sound.

Plus let me ask everyone this....

Are you and your wife or you and your husband still doing the "same thing"? Nope...everyone gets a little out of the box every once in a while to mix things up and make it a little more interesting...

Think about it...
    Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the problem: With Ed so close to Al's drums, the soundman cannot turn up the monitors because they will feedback (squeal) due to being so close to the drum microphones. So by Ed getting closer to the drums to hear them, he is actually ruining his chances of hearing them better. When you are on a huge stage with a big crowd and a concert p.a. system blaring, you cannot hear the drums unless they are amplified - even if you are right next to them. Ed needs to move away from the drums so the soundman can turn up the drums in his monitor.

Take it from a drummer who knows. I have played on stages in front of 6,000 people and couldn't even hear my own drums until the soundman turned them up in my monitor. Everything becomes washed out, and you can hear only what the soundman feeds you.
    Last edited by VanHalenRocks; 01.08.08 at 12:50 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I know that money is very important in this world, but wouldn't people be outraged if they saw him drink next to his teenage son? Would Val be ok with this, and Al? He's still the best rock guitar player of all time in my book, but even with that "title" there are limits to the kind of behavior people should tolerate from him. I'd like to think the tour would already have been canceled if he was hitting the bottle again.

I thought he was "re-inspired" with Wolfy on the tour and everything was fine and dandy. They sold us that line time and again.
    Little Dreamer

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I know that money is very important in this world, but wouldn't people be outraged if they saw him drink next to his teenage son? Would Val be ok with this, and Al? He's still the best rock guitar player of all time in my book, but even with that "title" there are limits to the kind of behavior people should tolerate from him. I'd like to think the tour would already have been canceled if he was hitting the bottle again.

I thought he was "re-inspired" with Wolfy on the tour and everything was fine and dandy. They sold us that line time and again.
    Nobody in that band has ever set Ed straight, so he could be drinking all he wants and nobody would say anything. I wouldn't give Ed the benefit of the doubt, we all know his past. I'm not saying I think he's drinking, but I am far more inclined to believe he is than he isn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Why would anyone think he stopped drinking? Because of his stint in "rehab" in early 2007? That was to get a haircut and his teeth fixed. Did he say he stopped drinking? He never said before or after "rehab" that drinking was a problem and that he quit. In fact, he hasn't said much of anything during this tour - unlike 1995 when we read in every magazine that he was finally sober. And that explains why he doesn't do interviews unless it's a HSN-type deal with Guitar World where he just sells his $25k guitar and his 5150III amps. Too many hard questions re: personnel and his habits.

But who cares.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,
    Ed

He appreciates each and every one of us.
    He feels he owes us.
    He worked on himself.
    He had people write this for him.