Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

Default Livin' It Up on DirecTV

Saw Sam's "Livin' It Up!" show from St. Louis on DirecTV last night and I thought Vic did the best job that I have ever seen/heard him do. I thought he struggled a little bit with the VH material when the Other Half played, but besides that I thought he was dead on.

Mike however, was way off on his vocals, way out of tune to my ears. Did anyone else catch the show and did Mike seem off to you as well?

I am not a big fan of Sam's whole Hard Rock Jimmy Buffet thing he has going on, but it was a good show. Hope I am that energetic when I am 60.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

van halen I / fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i watched it on the HDNet channel and as a CVH fan i thought pretty much like you did: so here are the thoughts of an uninitiated cvh fan watching sam solo for the first time....

* that there was an 'amway' feel to the event: ie everything was branded with cabo, and a lot of 'non'-scripted scripts about the cabo lifestyle as opposed to pure music concert....

* having said that, very high production value....

* i want to go a step further on the vic / playing thing: i too agree that not doing the eddie stuff, the guy is really, REALLY entertaining to watch and great to listen to.... but the actual material:

i found older sam stuff was actually pretty good, but the newer material (that i could tell) is very bush-league in its writing and painful to listen to.... (ie: heavy metal / one way to rock vs mas tequilia etc.) and to me the energy level from the stage seemed to jump up for older material....

* i too found mike's vocals to be off but that was me being picky, i think if you were there and in the spirit of the whole thing you wouldnt have noticed.... but that version of right now was awful and lacking in any energy....

* it was almost as if he is to keep playing van hagar material, he may want to let vic re-work it so that he doesnt feel compelled to be 'playing like eddie' and i think they could come up with some amazing versions....

* that mike and sam do play very well off of each other and it shows....

* the big thing i left very impressed with as well, was sam on stage at his age.... i had a new respect for him vis-a-vis other rockers his age (or younger!) and that i never once was thinking along the lines of "ok its not bad for a 60 year old" but just was watching it as if the guy was 40.... i was very blown away with his energy level throughout the show

* that i might actually make the effort to go check him out in london, ontario this summer - looks like a fun show to go see....

and for the record, his tequilia (and bar) are incredible.... the cabo tequilia is an evil, evil drink that goes down oh so smoothly LOL it is worth the trip to cabo if you havent been yet....

g.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What channel on DirecTV?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nitefly5150 View Post
    What channel on DirecTV?
    I believe it is channel 79 which is HDNet I think. They have an HD concert on it every Sunday night. Some nights it's bands I have never heard of, but they had Satriani one night and it was awesome.

And after reviewing my original post I would like to reiterate that I thought it was a great show and that I would have loved to have been there. I was nit-picking for the sake of conversation.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.14.10 @ 02:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wish I'd seen it.

I love the album