Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Here's Hoping Our West Coast Linkers Are OK: 600K W/O Power Due To California Storm

600K without power amid Calif. storm

By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Writer 32 minutes ago

SANTA ANA, Calif. - The storm that has pummeled California with gale-force wind and heavy rain dropped a thick blanket of snow on the Sierra Nevada on Saturday and kept thousands of people from their homes in mudslide-prone areas.

A major highway crossing the Sierra Nevada between Nevada and Northern California had been closed since Friday evening because of the snow.

Up to 44 inches of snow had fallen in some parts of the Sierra Nevada, the National Weather Service said Saturday morning. Forecasters expected the storm to dump as much as 10 feet at higher elevations of the mountain range by Sunday.

Flights were grounded Friday and trucks overturned in Northern California as wind gusted to 80 mph during the second wave of the arctic storm that has sent trees crashing onto houses, cars and roads. Hundreds of thousands of customers lost power from central California into Oregon and Washington.

In the south, residents of Orange County canyons that were stripped by wildfires last fall making them susceptible to mudslides nervously watched weather reports to learn when they might be hit by the fierce wind and heavy downpours forecast for the area.

"There's a little bit of a letup right now in the rain, but there's still a huge band of rain that's going to come in today," Ted MacKechnie, a National Weather Service forecaster, said Saturday morning.

About 3,000 people in four canyons had been told to leave their homes by 7 p.m. Friday, Orange County fire Capt. Mike Blawn said.

"We don't take these evacuation orders lightly. We do everything we can to make sure they're necessary," Blawn said. "The thing with debris flows, mudslides and flash floods is that you can't see them coming."

Flash flood warnings were in effect Saturday for broad swaths of Southern California, including most of Los Angeles County and southeastern Santa Barbara County.

Homeowners in Southern California and the Central Valley stacked sandbags and hay bales around their homes to keep out floods. A voluntary evacuation was in effect at an apartment complex northwest of downtown Los Angeles because of flooding and a small mudslide.

In the Sierra Nevada, where a winter storm warning was in effect, the California Department of Transportation said Interstate 80, the main east-west link between Northern California and Nevada, remained closed Saturday. The Red Cross set up a 200-bed shelter in Truckee for stranded motorists, as well as a shelter in Butte County.

"It's going to be a mess for travelers," said Chris Smallcomb, a weather service meteorologist. "We expect the road conditions will be hazardous if not impossible."

In the Sierra National Forest, three missing members of a Clovis family were found in good condition just after nightfall Friday, ending a daylong search, when rescuers found them with three other hikers who had apparently gotten trapped by the snowfall.

The state opened its emergency operations center Friday to coordinate storm response, and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he had spoken with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff by phone.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection dispatched inmate crews in Northern California to clear debris from roads, spokesman Daniel Berlant said. Swift-water rescue teams were on standby in several counties in case of flash floods.

Travelers' flight plans were put on hold Friday when airlines delayed or canceled flights in Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. The wind also overturned trucks on interstate highways in Northern California.

About 440,00 homes and businesses from the Bay Area to the Central Valley were in the dark early Saturday, down from about 1.5 million the day before. It could be days before all the lights are back on, Pacific Gas & Electric officials said.

The huge storm also toppled trees and cut power to thousands of customers in Washington and Oregon.

"A huge tree, over 100 years old, just fell across the house. It just wrecked the whole thing," Faye Reed said of her daughter Teenia's damaged home north of Sacramento. "They won't be able to live in it. The whole ceiling fell in, and now it's raining inside."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080105/...s/winter_storm
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.05.08 at 07:01 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

We just went thru this in Oklahoma last month. Went without power for 4 days. The damage to the trees is a site to behold. We had electric company's coming from all over the south to help us restore power.

Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

....and help you're fellow man any way you can.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

My neighborhood only lost power for about 10 sec last night. I dont live near any hills or streams, so the only thing I'm watching for is ants coming in.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

We've been OK but damn it has poured.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

We didn't lose power here in my part of The City but north of us in Marin had a lot of power outages.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yep, it was a wild one yesterday. We are pretty used to wind storms up here so nothing alarming. Was outside in it for awhile and can honestly say there were a few gusts that blasted through it even made me stop and go "Whoa" maybe I ought to go in for the day. It was trash pickup today and sure enough, I can't find the lid to our trash can.

Maybe it's in Olo's back yard?

I was concerned about the weather for the Hawks / Skins game today, but it seems to have calmed down and they are now saying no snow until tommorow.

Maybe it's in Olo's back yard?
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Aside from doing some repair work on my roof I'm fine.

I have power at work and at home.

Driving the 17 miles to work yesterday was an adventure. I've decided that any jacked up SUV or oversized pickup truck that doesn't have mud-flaps deserves to be run off the road. If you're going to pay all that money to tell the world you have a small dick at least have the brains to get the mudflaps too, duchebag.

Lots of trees down, our upper parjing lot was closed because roof tiles had crashed down from above. Highway signs down everywhere.

At this moment I'm looking at a flashing traffic light and blackness across the street (they're on another grid). The third storm rolled in at 3:10 pm and we're getting soaked, but not so much wind.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300