Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Another giant leap for Big Brother: RFID chips in driver's licenses

Another giant leap for Big Brother: four states to insert RFID chips in driver's licenses

Just because you have an RFID chip in your driver's license doesn't mean the authorities are watching you; it simply means they can if they want, whenever they want. Arizona, Michigan, Vermont, and Washington will be the first states to begin placing the radio frequency identification chips in their citizens' licenses.

The chips don't need to be physically read by someone scanning your license -- they can be read by monitors within a 30-foot range. Information contained will include name, DOB, physical characteristics, and a private identity number that will allow access to further information stored in the state's DMV database. One good thing about the enhanced ID's: travelers will be able to cross the border without a passport as of January 2009.

The Department of Homeland Security is in favor of the program, promoting it under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Said a DHS fact sheet, "Multiple cards can be read at a distance and simultaneously with vicinity RFID technology, allowing an entire car full of people to be processed at once." Motorists won't be compelled to use an enhanced ID, however -- in the beginning, it will be by voluntary issue only.

Arizona, New York, Washington, and Vermont all pledge to beef up ID security

It's been a while since we've heard anything about the much-hated Real ID unified RFID national identification card, but that doesn't mean the Department of Homeland Security has been sitting still: New York, Arizona, Washington, and Vermont all agreed earlier this month to beef up the security of driver's licenses to comply with DHS' new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. WHTI is the same fun law that requires US citizens carry a passport to travel to Canada and Mexico, and while it's not clear if it requires RFID licenses for states to comply, eWeek is reporting that both New York and Washington are headed towards including the tags anyway. Given the immense backlash Real ID came under for similar schemes, it'll be interesting to see how WHTI plays out -- but you can bet we're holding onto the janky laminated driver's license we got in college as long as we can.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

If you don't want "Big Brother" to know what you're doing, don't carry your voluntarily-issued license.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

don't see the big deal here. it just gives access to my dmv file. no biggie.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member
    *In his best paranoid-stoner liker voice*

What??! You just don't get it man......They're after us man.....all of us....it's Big Brother man.....our rights are being violated all the time.....we're as bad as Nazi Germany......Wh...what's that? What rights are being violated? I don't know man, all of them!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i've been saying for years that tracking devices and the means by which we shall be controlled will not be put upon us through force...we'll gladly buy them and celebrate the convenience and benefits of it. Think about it...lowjack on our cars, GPS in our cel phones, chips on our drivers license and pets. Now we can also sign up for chips to be put in our children when they're born because after all...if we love our children, we'll want them to be easily found if they're kidnapped.

Where many see convenience and easier transfer of information, I see serious serious problems.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

no offense, but I see paranoia

What would they do with all that information anyway? No matter how the devices get there, it's how they're used that will always get the attention. We are a long way from "1984." As Americans, we still crave our independence and that will always keep things in balance. I just do not believe there are that many people with evil intentions in the right places to make America an oppressive society.

You see the next step in the slippery slope, I see a bunch of Chicken Littles. But then again, it's people like you who will ensure that the balance stays intact, so in a way, while I feel you are pessimistic in your viewpoint, it is necessary so that I can be optimistic.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    no offense, but I see paranoia

What would they do with all that information anyway? No matter how the devices get there, it's how they're used that will always get the attention. We are a long way from "1984." As Americans, we still crave our independence and that will always keep things in balance. I just do not believe there are that many people with evil intentions in the right places to make America an oppressive society.

You see the next step in the slippery slope, I see a bunch of Chicken Littles. But then again, it's people like you who will ensure that the balance stays intact, so in a way, while I feel you are pessimistic in your viewpoint, it is necessary so that I can be optimistic.
    I don't think we're going to end up just like the people in 1984 anytime soon...but I do think the groundwork is being laid without most people noticing or caring. Do I think there are a group of people plotting some evil course of action, of which these sort of things are a part of? No not really. But I do think these things, once in place, will make controlling and monitoring people's actions very very easy. Another piece of this is the cashless society we seem to be moving towards. People don't even like checks anymore. Everything is swiped. I'm afraid that we may end up in a world where cash is being used as kindling and the only people that have access to society ie: jobs, healthcare, commerce, etc will be those who are wired in and on the grid so to speak. Those people will have their little chips implanted in their thumb, they'll scan it for purchasing goods, providing ID etc. While those who did not agree live outside of walled cities. It's not THAT far fetched of an idea. We're seeing the infrastructure established all around us. Will it happen in our lifetime? No. Will it definitely happen...no not definitely.

Personally, I don't really care because I'm going to be dead long before this shit happens, if it happens, but to say it will NEVER happen and that there aren't people in this world that would LIKE to see it happen and other people in the world that are trying to make it happen is simply naive.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The chips don't need to be physically read by someone scanning your license -- they can be read by monitors within a 30-foot range.
    Unless you're planning to spend some time hanging out near a monitor, or they team up with the big three auto makers to have monitors installed in our POV's, no big deal.

I'm still holing out for the RWTD chips!!
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    Unless you're planning to spend some time hanging out near a monitor, or they team up with the big three auto makers to have monitors installed in our POV's, no big deal.
    no...in and of itself...it isn't a big deal. What concerns me is that it is one more incremental step towards everyone having a chip on them at all times that CAN be read by anyone at anytime...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    ...one more incremental step towards everyone having a chip on them at all times that CAN be read by anyone at anytime...

Still a loooooong way to go for that. Maybe something for our kids or grandkids to worry about.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Still a loooooong way to go for that. Maybe something for our kids or grandkids to worry about.
    Unless there's reincarnation. Wonder if when we get where we're going at the end of it all, we have a choice in whether or not we want to come back? I guess maybe if I could come back as a dog, I'd want to come back. Then again, with my luck, I'd wind up with Michael Vick's reincarnated ass...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah that's what I said.