Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Pair Claims Buffet Restaurant Banned Them for Hearty Eating

HOUMA, La. — A 6-foot-3, 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet line, then banned him and a relative because they're hearty eaters.

A spokesman for the restaurant denies the claim.

Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.

On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,"' Labit said.

Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size. "I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277," Borrelli said, adding that a waitress told him he looked like he had a "baby in the belly."

Houma accountant Thomas Campo said the men were charged an extra $10 each on Dec. 21 because they made a habit of dining exclusively on the more expensive seafood dishes, including crab legs and frog legs.

"We have a lot of big people there," said Campo, who spoke for owner Li Shang, whose English is limited. "We don't discriminate."

Labit denied ever being told he would be asked to pay more than the standard adult price.

The argument grew heated, and police were called.

The police report states, "The incident was settled when the management advised that the bill was a mistake and, to appease Ricky, the meal was complimentary."

Labit said he insisted on paying but was told not to come back. He complained that when seafood on the buffet line runs out, the restaurant only grudgingly cooks more.

Campo said the proprietress tries to reduce waste of quality food, he said.

"Food is for eating, not toys for your child," reads a sign posted on a wall in typewritten text. A handwritten addition reads "Or 20% added."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Good for the restaurant. If a customer insists on exploiting the goodwill and intentions of an offer, then rightly they should be made to pay for the privilege. While the sign stating "Food is for eating, not toys for your child" is obviously a message to parents to keep their children in order, it is also a message toward civility. It's a shame this was lost upon these "adults".
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.03.08 at 08:06 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

I would say I'm shocked, but, it was a Chinese restaurant, so I'm not. That culture is completely different when it comes to things like this.

Let's face it, Chinese restaurants are like little embassies...they're like stepping into another world. I've eaten at Chinese restaurants only a number of times as compared to American ones, but every time I come out thinking how different the experience is. For example:

One time my fiance and I went to eat at a buffet in college. When the waitress brought out the drink, we noticed there was an opened sweetener packet inside the soda. She obviously grabbed the cup from the wrong stack and had filled a previously used cup. I bring it to her attention, and I watch as she takes the cup up to the employee soda fountain, dumps it out, then refills it, only to bring it back with a smile. What's worse, she knew I had just seen her do it, and didn't even think twice about it. No offer for a free meal, no apology, nothing.

Then there are the minor things. Ironically, we just tried a new Chinese place down the street last night. Here is how it went down:

(I place call)
    her: "Hewro?"

me: (puzzled, thinking I reached the only chinese residence in St. Louis) "Yes is this China 1?"

her: "uh, yeah, this China wah"

me: "How much is it for delivery?"

her: "10 dollas"

me: (cringing) "Okay, we'll get an order for pickup."

(After placing order for 14.75)

me: "I also have this coupon for a free crab rangoon."

her: "you need 15 dolla odah."

me: "for a difference of $.25?"

her: "you need 15 dolla odah fo fwee cwab rangoon."

me: "alright, give me one cup of egg drop soup."

her: "ok, bye."

me: "wait, don't you need my name or something?"

her: "uh yeah, wha you name?"

me: (give name)

her: "ok, bye"

The food was good though
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

Yar. 'Tis no man. 'Tis a remorseless eating machine.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size. "I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277," Borrelli said, adding that a waitress told him he looked like he had a "baby in the belly."

LOFL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is not the first of it's kind down here. Houma is about an hour or so from where I am. Quite a few years back, we had a really nice "all you can eat deal" and what happened was that certian groups of people would take advantage. They would come for lunch, kids and all, but they would stay for dinner. In the time between they would eat desert, drink coffee, snack a bit, and play cards. They would actually spend 5,6,7 hours in the restaurant. At the time, I laughed at the situation, but the owners did not and did away with the buffet and eventually closed the whole thing down. Remember, it only takes a FEW to FUCK it up for EVERYONE!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Good for the restaurant. If a customer insists on exploiting the goodwill and intentions of an offer, then rightly they should be made to pay for the privilege. While the sign stating "Food is for eating, not toys for your child" is obviously a message to parents to keep their children in order, it is also a message toward civility. It's a shame this was lost upon these "adults".
    I'm with you...I also sided with the airlines a few years ago when they tried to charge two fatasses for two seats each because they simply could not fit into one seat. I recently flew to North Carolina and I had to sit next to a fat guy all the way there....he was literally folding and pouring out of his seat....rolls sagged over the armrest, his gut so huge he couldn't keep his legs together...the whole ride I had this guy's body rubbing up against me. Screw that.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    ...Remember, it only takes a FEW to FUCK it up for EVERYONE!
    Years ago, a few local Wendy's offered an "all you can eat" or "serve yourself" type (I honestly can not remember which) of salad bar. People would pile stuff up 8 inches high on their plates. Needless to say, it did not last the year.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.03.08 at 09:35 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Okay, that's excessive, not to mention pathetic.

But I think if you go in for ONE meal and you eat more than your share, that's too bad for the business owner. They get plenty of people that don't eat their share. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose what types of people you serve. If they eat too much seafood, take away the seafood. Buffets by their nature are usually crap food--just lots of it. If they can't figure out a formula that works, it's not the customer's fault.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Okay, that's excessive, not to mention pathetic.

But I think if you go in for ONE meal and you eat more than your share, that's too bad for the business owner. They get plenty of people that don't eat their share. You shouldn't be able to pick and choose what types of people you serve. If they eat too much seafood, take away the seafood. Buffets by their nature are usually crap food--just lots of it. If they can't figure out a formula that works, it's not the customer's fault.
    actually...being a private business owner means precisely having the right to pick and choose who you serve and buffets are changing...go to vegas...shit come here to Houston and check out some of the buffets. Very high end food.

The problem is, quite simply, there are some indignant, arrogant, fat asses in this country who go through the life with their hand out and their mouth open. They're trying to turn themselves into some kind of persecuted minority. If they fuck up their restaurant's vibe, to hell with them. Send them out. Let them go graze somewhere else. THEY are the ones taking advantage of the situation here. The restaurant is simply protecting their assets. Why should they change the quality of their buffet, increase the price, or limit the food choices (things that would effect their entire clientele) when they can just get rid of the problem....two fat people that take advantage of their all you can buffet. If you own a business you have every right to do things the way you want to do them and the customers have every right to decide whether or not to support your decisions or stop visiting.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    actually...being a private business owner means precisely having the right to pick and choose who you serve and buffets are changing...go to vegas...shit come here to Houston and check out some of the buffets. Very high end food.

The problem is, quite simply, there are some indignant, arrogant, fat asses in this country who go through the life with their hand out and their mouth open. They're trying to turn themselves into some kind of persecuted minority. If they fuck up their restaurant's vibe, to hell with them. Send them out. Let them go graze somewhere else. THEY are the ones taking advantage of the situation here. The restaurant is simply protecting their assets. Why should they change the quality of their buffet, increase the price, or limit the food choices (things that would effect their entire clientele) when they can just get rid of the problem....two fat people that take advantage of their all you can buffet. If you own a business you have every right to do things the way you want to do them and the customers have every right to decide whether or not to support your decisions or stop visiting.
    I'm supporting broken 9500 for PRESIDENT!!!

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

i did think it was all you can eat at buffets though......

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN View Post
    i did think it was all you can eat at buffets though......
    for the past few years I've begun noticing all-you-can-eat buffets with "fine print" etc....even cheap joints like CiCi's. I was in one a few months back and they had something on there about not sharing plates, no take out, and "excessive" trips to the line or something to that effect.

Bottom line, as this country becomes more and more fat, things like this are going to become more and more common. The airlines fought over it a few years back. Health companies are trying to charge fat people more for coverage. Buffet lines have to protect themselves as well. It may sound stupid but it isn't. What makes it difficult is that Fat America is organizing and evolving into a contingency. It amazes me how these people can't get up enough energy to take a walk, but they can mobilize themselves into action whenever they feel that beauty needs to be redefined or companies are persecuting them.

Give it a few years and fat will be added to the civil rights amendment and people will be protected against discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, nationality, sexual and PHYSICAL WEIGHT preference.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    ...Give it a few years and fat will be added to the civil rights amendment and people will be protected against discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, nationality, sexual and PHYSICAL WEIGHT preference.
    It's already begun. Here is the NAAFA-National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance:
    http://naafa.org/

And here is a link to when they were bitching about seats on airplanes from a few years ago, when I first heard about the organization.

http://www.naafa.org/Convention2002/airlines.html
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.03.08 at 10:04 AM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

and I thought they were just getting a round now...

© 1969-2007 NAAFA, Inc. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of NAAFA's content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.

NAAFA is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA has been working since 1969 to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support. NAAFA needs the support of everyone who feels that size discrimination is unfair and unacceptable.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton