Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Elves

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Elves

Alrighty, so being a huge fan of Middle Earth and everything that was going on there, I've been always wondering what is that place where elves have been sailing their ships to. Mostly because they, as a race of Valar - devine like if you want, is meant to be superior to humans in every aspect.

I just came to realizing that elves are fankly so very boring. Or maybe not that, just limited in their own narrow of perseption of what live is.

Their poetry. So they write about trees and subtle tremling of leaves in the wind (yeah, whatever), occasionally about giganic events like massive battles and whatnot. Nothing humans haven't written about. Then they come up with a genius of Lay of Luthien, which is about a High Elf princess giving her mortal life for her love with a human (Beren). Which is supposed to be a huge sacrifice because they live eternally otherwise, not aging and all.

In other words, in her thousands of years that she's been dwelling her love for a mortal human surpassed everything in her life experience.

Then *exactly* the same happens with Arwen when she chooses a mortal life for her love with Elessar.

And when her father confronts her about 'the life of Eldar is leaving you' and 'take the last ship to the Green Shores' I'm just totally with her on why she wants to rather stay and face the soon-ish death instead.

Coz when you think about it, the travel to the 'undying lands' is a metathor exactly for dying. Elves remain the ability of shifting from Aman, the sort-of Elvish heaven, back to Middle Earth, that's how Gandalf came back after he was killed after Moria, but since they're divine creatures already it's a natural phase for them, to go to elvish 'heaven' . Elves don't go to hell, so like - it's nothing more than a vacation trip for them.

Then men get jealous of elves being immortal, which is about the only thing they had an advantage over men. People on Numenor had machinery and better weaponry/architecture and the more rich culture than elves. They even had guts to build a fleet to conquer the elvelands and gain immortality thru this way - so in responce for that the God in that universe drowned the whole island along with it's inhabitans. Regardless, men went East and built Arnor and Gondor, Isengard, fortified mordor and hell knows what else. Elves did jack shit - couple of libraries in Rivendell and well, trees in Lorien. Never wrote anything in couple of thousands of years, just kept themselves around 'things of old' and umm I don't know even. What elves even do in their spare time? Walk around with long dresses and sing to the soil.

Seriously I'd probably do the same if I had to remain in the same body for a couple of milleniums.

So elves are a drawn parellel to what we know of as 'angels' , and apparently our 'clear souls' go to heaven or 'undying/green shore lands' (if we as humans live our lives here according to rules of any of the religions). What I'm trying to say - immortal life SUCKS. Even those divine creatures seem to have the most lame existance, and if divine powers were abit more creative they'd give people/humans better examples of what the 'promised afterlife' looks like. Coz I don't want any of it, and I'd rather be human with all imperfections you get for being one.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I agree. I think. Actually, I'm not real sure what you're talking about. Kind of like a politician reading the latest bill they're about to vote on.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know about elves, but that traveling gnome is pretty cool, in my book.

Mish, have you been visiting Amsterdam lately?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like to bang elves because it makes my dick look HUGE -er.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The parallel you are drawing (correct me if wrong) is that elves basically lead a life of pulling essence from vegetables, write about them and ultimately become as such. True, alcohol can be drawn from corn (I think) and everything is a spirited jaunt regarding festivals of growing and such.

OK, elves are harvesters. Yet may I ask, who or what asked them to be much more than that? And more so, why need you speculate about their duty in the afterlife, whereas your own such existence is so highly speculative?

Precisely why are they being called into speculation in the first place? For some unknown reason, I do not recall the garden lizards of this planet "Earth" being called into reason with their regards toward fighting increased pricing for paperback novels at garage sales.

Duh...what you apply as "responsibility" toward creatures is respectable, in reality (and please prove otherwise, in writing) how do you know that certain "elfin" ancestors have not accounted for album sales of not only "T.Rex", "The Cure", "The Smiths", and yet "My Chemical Romance" as well!

And that only deals with something as meaningless as music, let alone day to day decisions of importance reflecting all life.

Please, for your own regard...do not disregard the "elfin" contribution to your daily exhistance. Seriously...you wanna fuck with a group of pissed and armed elves, boy?

You are alone on this one, my friend.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 12.29.07 at 09:33 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The parallel you are drawing (correct me if wrong) is that elves basically lead a life of pulling essence from vegetables, write about them and ultimately become as such. True, alcohol can be drawn from corn (I think) and everything is a spirited jaunt regarding festivals of growing and such.

OK, elves are harvesters. Yet may I ask, who or what asked them to be much more than that? And more so, why need you speculate about their duty in the afterlife, whereas your own such existence is so highly speculative?

Precisely why are they being called into speculation in the first place? For some unknown reason, I do not recall the garden lizards of this planet "Earth" being called into reason with their regards toward fighting increased pricing for paperback novels at garage sales.

Duh...what you apply as "responsibility" toward creatures is respectable, in reality (and please prove otherwise, in writing) how do you know that certain "elfin" ancestors have not accounted for album sales of not only "T.Rex", "The Cure", "The Smiths", and yet "My Chemical Romance" as well!

And that only deals with something as meaningless as music, let alone day to day decisions of importance reflecting all life.

Please, for your own regard...do not disregard the "elfin" contribution to your daily exhistance. Seriously...you wanna fuck with a group of pissed and armed elves, boy?

You are alone on this one, my friend.
    Dude, you like..write cool and stuff. I wish I could string words together like that. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

God have I been smoking last night..!

Chef, I'm not even sure if elves *were* harvesters as I've never read about them having any food production in the first place. I know that Dark Elfs of Mirkwood had fine vineyards and Lorien Galadrim have probably been noble hunters, as for what Rivendell relied on I've no idea. Probably bought granery stock off Hobbits or Bree-landers. That, and furthermore I don't think they praised the food at all as again they're immortal - they don't even have basic needs - hence no hunger or a desire for satisfaction.

They've always been put on a pedestal above humans, that's why Numenorians were banned from sailing into the West as for they could reach the shores of Aman - what happened there was when armed men landed off their ships the "trees have captured them" and "hills have swollen them", kinda - "the elvish lands are ours! Our precious!" thing, you know? What I'm saying though is what exactly is that portraited land of theirs and how their lifestyle benefits from being there. Elrond mentions that "leaves never fall there" - again talk about boring, besides we have loads of evergreen zones on Earth, I'm sure they had loads of them on Eriador. Now admit it Chef, where in your bloodline you have an elf ?

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    God have I been smoking last night..!

Chef, I'm not even sure if elves *were* harvesters as I've never read about them having any food production in the first place. I know that Dark Elfs of Mirkwood had fine vineyards and Lorien Galadrim have probably been noble hunters, as for what Rivendell relied on I've no idea. Probably bought granery stock off Hobbits or Bree-landers. That, and furthermore I don't think they praised the food at all as again they're immortal - they don't even have basic needs - hence no hunger or a desire for satisfaction.

They've always been put on a pedestal above humans, that's why Numenorians were banned from sailing into the West as for they could reach the shores of Aman - what happened there was when armed men landed off their ships the "trees have captured them" and "hills have swollen them", kinda - "the elvish lands are ours! Our precious!" thing, you know? What I'm saying though is what exactly is that portraited land of theirs and how their lifestyle benefits from being there. Elrond mentions that "leaves never fall there" - again talk about boring, besides we have loads of evergreen zones on Earth, I'm sure they had loads of them on Eriador. Now admit it Chef, where in your bloodline you have an elf ?
    I thought elves made by burly Christmas gifits. Not eating roots and harvesting all kinds of crap. That part about the Dark Elf freaked my shit out. Not trying to be a smart ass here, but what is "Eriador?" Is that where the cool ones made my burly toys? Or is that where the dark ones lived? You know spending their time making 3 wheeled skate boards and non working cd players? Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eriador is a continent inside Tolkien universe, of which Middle Earth is the most famous part of. But georgraphy doesn't matter, my point in a nutshell is that divine creatures, along with eternal life/afterlife blow
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 12.30.07 at 09:08 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

half-elves make for some very pretty ladies...

I'd wax intellectually about parallels between elves and humans and the roles elves should, should not, are expected to, shouldn't be expected to, play in the universe as well as the parallel universes and invisible world, but I've got to get gear packed up, hit the music shop, and get over to the club to start setting up and sound checking for tomorrow night's big gig.'

continue on...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Good luck with a gig mate! And do come back for the dicsussion thereafter.