Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Ewan McGregor's movie, STAY

Holy shit... What a fucked up movie this is...

For the past few years, numerous movies have taken pleasure in screwing with our conception of reality. As if borne out of some post-millennial fear of our world, since 2000 we've had the likes of Memento, Vanilla Sky, Donnie Darko and The Jacket all feeding into this growing paranoia. Now, five years into this spree of movies, comes Stay.

Sam Foster (Ewan McGregor) is an Ivy League professor who takes on the case of troubled student Henry (Ryan Gosling), who tells Foster he is going to commit suicide on Saturday at midnight. Unable to keep him in for prolonged observation Foster begins a search for Henry in order to stop his prophecy from becoming true. Along the way, strange events start to occur. Foster finds a man who Henry claims to be his father. The only problem being that Henry's father is dead. The further Foster goes, the stranger things get.

Stay comes from Marc Forster, one of the most talented and daring directors working in Hollywood today. Unlike many, he doesn't tie himself down to one genre or one style of direction. His first breakout movie was the gritty 2001 drama Monster's Ball, a raw powerful film which garnered an Oscar for Halle Berry. Next up was the whimsical fantasy biopic Finding Neverland and now comes Stay, a trippy reality-bending thriller. Oh and just to make sure he's covered all bases, there's a Will Ferrell comedy coming out next year.

In fact, his direction is Stay's strongest point. The film looks incredible. Forster enjoys confusing us and there are some wonderful transitions throughout. There is a brilliant scene in a college building where everyone in the background appears to be walking in groups of identical threesomes and there is a confrontation near the end on a bridge that is one of the most beautiful scenes of the year. Taken on a purely visceral level, Stay is hard to beat.

However, it's a shame that the script couldn't really match the visuals. The film struggles with maintaining a constant sense of suspense and there are a few too many 'weird', unexplained scenes which after awhile only serve to infuriate rather than intrigue. The main narrative problem is the final twist. Yes, unsurprisingly in a film such as this there is a twist. It's actually not a bad twist, it's just we've seen it so many times before. It's revealed in a clumsy manner and the film cheats by only giving us the clues after we know the secret.

McGregor delivers a good, if unspectacular performance while Ryan Gosling and Naomi Watts, as McGregor's depressive girlfriend, do excellent work. Stay may have seemed a lot fresher if it had been released at the beginning of the influx of these kind of movies, but now its surprises seem stale. Although it is worth noting that for a film which had such an infuriating conclusion, I have an urge to watch it again. It's one of those movies which gets better the more you remember it. It may also be the most visually stunning film of the year.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have this on DVD, it's pretty good.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Not the biggest Ewan McGregor fan out there, but this was a good movie. A total mind fuck, but a good movie.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I'll have to see this one. Ewan McGregor was a major talent when he did "Shallow Grave" and "trainspotting" but for some reason - ok, cash - he decided to go Hollywood and he's fucked his reputation pretty badly, but I still watch his movies, just in case he decides to get good again.

I'd like to see him do something serious again but I gather he's more interested in riding his motorbike around the world these days. Acting just pays the bills. Shame.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:34 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

He'll always be young Obi Wan, but i'll check it out. Never liked the dude that played Anakin, but McGregor was the perfect choice for Obi wan...gotta give Lucas credit there.

I even liked him in The Island which i know was kind of a flop but thought it was a pretty decent film. Scarlett Johansson didnt hurt either.
    Dealing with it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    He'll always be young Obi Wan, but i'll check it out. Never liked the dude that played Anakin, but McGregor was the perfect choice for Obi wan...gotta give Lucas credit there.
    ya got that right. In fact, he's another guy who belongs in the Men Who Don't Get Enough Credit thead.....But I won't tell you all about that.

And the dude who played Anakin - kinda creepy.

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by eden View Post
    ya got that right. In fact, he's another guy who belongs in the Men Who Don't Get Enough Credit thead.....But I won't tell you all about that.

And the dude who played Anakin - kinda creepy.
    Honesty compells me to report i have bumped around on that thread.

Surprised you guys haven't mentioned Dennis Quaid over there yet. I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to think he's a handsome man. lol
    Dealing with it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    Honesty compells me to report i have bumped around on that thread.
    LMAO! Ok, then who's your favorite(s) over there?

Surprised you guys haven't mentioned Dennis Quaid over there yet.
    hmmm, I don't know about him. I'll have to check some pics out. But if he cheated on Meg Ryan, then he's out. I don't care how hot a guy is - if he fucks over his girlfriend or wife....

oh, nevermind. I think Michael Jordan is hot as hell, and I'm pretty sure he cheated on his wife...*sigh*

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the truly great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"Edward?.....thank ya." ~ Could This Be Magic

"The attitude is we live and let live. This is actually an amazing change in values in a rather short time and it's an example of freedom from religion."
    ~ Thomas Wolfe

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by eden View Post
    LMAO! Ok, then who's your favorite(s) over there?

hmmm, I don't know about him. I'll have to check some pics out. But if he cheated on Meg Ryan, then he's out. I don't care how hot a guy is - if he fucks over his girlfriend or wife....

oh, nevermind. I think Michael Jordan is hot as hell, and I'm pretty sure he cheated on his wife...*sigh*
    lol...I dont look at the pics long enough to make that distinction.

I dont know if he cheated on her or not. I certainly wouldnt..she's a doll. Im sure she'd take comfort in knowing that.

My ex just used to think he was really good looking. I can never think of him as anything but Randy Quaids brother. ha
    Dealing with it.