Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

Default Romeo Delight "forgettable", Mean Street and So This is Love? "mediocre numbers"

I am a staunch believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't like either Romeo Delight, Mean Street or So This Is Love? you shouldn't be reviewing a VH show!

Concert Reviews By Steve Newton
    At GM Place on Wednesday, December 5

The vast majority of people at last week's Van Halen show appeared to be males between the ages of 30 and 50, eager to reconnect with the unbridled guitar-rock noise that erupted straight outta Pasadena when David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen hooked up. I was hoping to relive that late-'70s/early-'80s vibe too, so I brought along a buddy I used to hang with back in the day, when skunk weed, Baby Duck, and Van Halen II were a triple threat to our already scarce brain cells.

The show started off strongly, with Roth staking out a ramp above Alex Van Halen's drum kit, waving a huge red flag while Eddie churned out his famous take on the riff from the Kinks' "You Really Got Me". Sporting a yellow version of the matador-style bolero jacket he's been partial to of late, Roth strutted around the stage looking so elated you'd have sworn he'd just been handed a platinum membership card to the Hair Club for Men. Two songs later, he donned a red top hat for "Runnin' With the Devil", another ear- busting gem from Van Halen's self-titled 1978 debut, glancing at an imaginary wristwatch while crooning "I live my life like there's no tomorrow."

Next up was "Romeo Delight", one of the quartet's more forgettable ditties, and green lasers kicked in as if to make up for its aural deficiencies. These weren't mind-blowing lasers though, and their ineffectiveness was in line with the show's other drawbacks. The staging was basic, the lights no great shakes, and the sound passable. Folks who had paid upwards of $160 deserved better.

What they were mainly shelling out for was the chance to see Roth back in the lineup for the first time in 20 years, replacing his replacement, Sammy Hagar. Despite the fact that Eddie couldn't stop grinning the whole time, it didn't seem as if there was any deep connection between the long-lost bandmates. Roth's vocals were weak in spots; perhaps the massive reunion tour has sapped his vitality. He was much more of a powerhouse a few years back, when he played the Orpheum as a solo artist.

While not energetic, both Roth and Eddie VH looked in shape. The shirtless Eddie was the picture of sinewy strength. The same couldn't be said of his teenaged son, Wolfgang, who handled the bass and backup vocals normally assigned to long-time member Michael Anthony. But so what if the kid could stand to shed some baby fat? He's 16 and he's in Van Halen.

It would have been cool to hear Roth tackle a tune or two from Van Halen's Hagar era instead of padding the set with such mediocre numbers as "Mean Street" and "So This Is Love?" After a tedious drum solo.is there any other kind?.things improved with the dynamic "Unchained", the smouldering "I'll Wait", the ribald "Hot for Teacher", and the intense "Little Dreamer". When Eddie was left alone on-stage for his own extended solo, he repeatedly twiddled his volume knob to mimic the sound of a string section, apparently forgetting that nobody wanted to hear the sound of a string section.

As expected, the group encored with its biggest hit, "Jump", but by then I was already pondering the question that has raged among Van Halen fans for decades. After this unspectacular gig, I'd say the jury's still out on whether Dave's the best or Sammy rules.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am a staunch believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't like either Romeo Delight, Mean Street or So This Is Love? you shouldn't be reviewing a VH show!

Concert Reviews By Steve Newton
    At GM Place on Wednesday, December 5

The vast majority of people at last week's Van Halen show appeared to be males between the ages of 30 and 50, eager to reconnect with the unbridled guitar-rock noise that erupted straight outta Pasadena when David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen hooked up. I was hoping to relive that late-'70s/early-'80s vibe too, so I brought along a buddy I used to hang with back in the day, when skunk weed, Baby Duck, and Van Halen II were a triple threat to our already scarce brain cells.

The show started off strongly, with Roth staking out a ramp above Alex Van Halen's drum kit, waving a huge red flag while Eddie churned out his famous take on the riff from the Kinks' "You Really Got Me". Sporting a yellow version of the matador-style bolero jacket he's been partial to of late, Roth strutted around the stage looking so elated you'd have sworn he'd just been handed a platinum membership card to the Hair Club for Men. Two songs later, he donned a red top hat for "Runnin' With the Devil", another ear- busting gem from Van Halen's self-titled 1978 debut, glancing at an imaginary wristwatch while crooning "I live my life like there's no tomorrow."

Next up was "Romeo Delight", one of the quartet's more forgettable ditties, and green lasers kicked in as if to make up for its aural deficiencies. These weren't mind-blowing lasers though, and their ineffectiveness was in line with the show's other drawbacks. The staging was basic, the lights no great shakes, and the sound passable. Folks who had paid upwards of $160 deserved better.

What they were mainly shelling out for was the chance to see Roth back in the lineup for the first time in 20 years, replacing his replacement, Sammy Hagar. Despite the fact that Eddie couldn't stop grinning the whole time, it didn't seem as if there was any deep connection between the long-lost bandmates. Roth's vocals were weak in spots; perhaps the massive reunion tour has sapped his vitality. He was much more of a powerhouse a few years back, when he played the Orpheum as a solo artist.

While not energetic, both Roth and Eddie VH looked in shape. The shirtless Eddie was the picture of sinewy strength. The same couldn't be said of his teenaged son, Wolfgang, who handled the bass and backup vocals normally assigned to long-time member Michael Anthony. But so what if the kid could stand to shed some baby fat? He's 16 and he's in Van Halen.

It would have been cool to hear Roth tackle a tune or two from Van Halen's Hagar era instead of padding the set with such mediocre numbers as "Mean Street" and "So This Is Love?" After a tedious drum solo.is there any other kind?.things improved with the dynamic "Unchained", the smouldering "I'll Wait", the ribald "Hot for Teacher", and the intense "Little Dreamer". When Eddie was left alone on-stage for his own extended solo, he repeatedly twiddled his volume knob to mimic the sound of a string section, apparently forgetting that nobody wanted to hear the sound of a string section.

As expected, the group encored with its biggest hit, "Jump", but by then I was already pondering the question that has raged among Van Halen fans for decades. After this unspectacular gig, I'd say the jury's still out on whether Dave's the best or Sammy rules.

This guys review is in the minority. Seems like most people and reviewers loved the show ! Not sure what this guys problem is, seems like a very negative guy. I saw the show at MSG and will see them tonight in Vegas, the show was awesome.

Not to offend Hagar fans, but the last thing I want to see is any VH songs from post Roth era, I will take what this guy says with a grain of salt.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

11.21.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts

Weak review, bad writing
    "I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"
    -DLR
    http://twitter.com/#!/slappy33

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:12 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

...things improved with the dynamic "Unchained", the smouldering "I'll Wait", the ribald "Hot for Teacher", and the intense "Little Dreamer". When Eddie was left alone on-stage for his own extended solo, he repeatedly twiddled his volume knob to mimic the sound of a string section, apparently forgetting that nobody wanted to hear the sound of a string section.
    ...wow, I've never really thought of "Little Dreamer" as intense.

And that "string section" bit...umm, yeah, I think it's called "Cathedral", which was what, only the SECOND most-popular instrumental bit EVH ever did?!?

Why are we even discussing this pontificating blowhard?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

forgettable ditty = romeo delight?
    mediocre = mean street and so this is love?

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NO SH*&! I guess this guy just wants to hear Jump and Pretty Woman.

Douche.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 2,064 Times in 670 Posts

fuck the critics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 1,963 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    NO SH*&! I guess this guy just wants to hear Jump and Pretty Woman.

Douche.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Just a fag reviewer that knows NOTHING about VH or music in general.

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave's Dreidel;918953]I am a staunch believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you don't like either Romeo Delight, Mean Street or So This Is Love? you shouldn't be reviewing a VH show!

As expected, the group encored with its biggest hit, "Jump", but by then I was already pondering the question that has raged among Van Halen fans for decades. After this unspectacular gig, I'd say the jury's still out on whether Dave's the best or Sammy rules.[/
    QUOTE]

The person who wrote this is a fuckin tool.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.03.08 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    This guys review is in the minority. Seems like most people and reviewers loved the show ! Not sure what this guys problem is, seems like a very negative guy. I saw the show at MSG and will see them tonight in Vegas, the show was awesome.

Not to offend Hagar fans, but the last thing I want to see is any VH songs from post Roth era, I will take what this guy says with a grain of salt.

They can play a whole different setlist and STILL not everybody will be satisifed!!!

I also saw the VH show @ MSG and they were fantastic and I am pretty damn picky!

People should just stop bitchin...maybe they shouldnt have ever toured at all so you could all complain about how they dont play anymore...geez be happy for crying out loud instead of picking everything apart....you wont ruin my good time, but I sure hope you ruin your own.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

This has got to be a joke.

I have never heard smoldering and I'll Wait in the same sentence...now should they ever be put together AGAIN!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

After this unspectacular gig, I'd say the jury's still out on whether Dave's the best or Sammy rules.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

I apologize on behalf on Canada.

This is the same guy who also said:

"would have been great to hear Dave-O wrap his lips around "Finish What Ya Started". That might be Van Halen's best song ever! Who cares who's singin' it?!"

Mean Street and So This is Love are mediocre, Romeo Delight is forgettable and FWYS is VH's best tune ever. This is what we're dealing with here.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post

This is the same guy who also said:

"would have been great to hear Dave-O wrap his lips around "Finish What Ya Started". That might be Van Halen's best song ever! Who cares who's singin' it?!"
    LOL, shouldn't there be a Man Law that a guy does not talking about another guy wrapping his lips around anything?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Opinions are like assholes....everybody's got one