Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Home wireless network

Hey guys, I was wondering what I would look for if I wanted to purchase a wireless network for the house. We always have 3 computers running and now the xbox live. Is there some sort of package deal with the router and cards? I currently have wires everywhere and would like to get rid of them. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my internet through my phone service and bought the wireless router through them. It provided built in security which is suppose to be on par with the firewalls that banks have and is updated regularly along with the encryption so people don't log right in. I've had good service from them as well.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Wireless networking can seem a bit complicated, but once you decide what to purchase it's straight-forward to get it set up. You'll get a lot of different recommendations on brands and systems. I've had experience with Dlink, Linksys, Motorola, US Robotics, and few off brands. I'm using a couple of Motorola routers at home, and have been very happy with them. I don't think they make consumer items any longer, however. I've had mixed results with Dlink and Linksys gear. Some has worked well, while others didn't work at all. Those two brands get very mixed reviews from most people. One brand that I don't have any personal experience with is Buffalo. I've heard a lot of good things about their products, but most impressively I've never heard a bad thing about them.

Your Xbox complicates things a bit. The easiest way to set it up is with MS's adapter. That's an 802.11g part, however. The 802.11n gear is fairly established now, and if I was getting a new set up that's what I'd want. I'm not sure if using an 802.11g device (like the 360 part) slows an entire 802.11n network to 802.11g speeds. Perhaps someone knows that. Your other options for the 360 include the various gaming adapters or bridges that are out there. Those aren't as easy to set up.

For your computers, I'd look at PCI or PCIe cards. USB adapters aren't all that impressive in my experience. They just don't get the same range or speeds.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I currently have a linksys router and regular wired network cards for all the computers, I was hoping someone would make direct suggestions as to what I should buy with links. Wireless networking will be something new for me, but I think I can handle it. I am wanting the usual reasonable priced, but functional. I really have had no problems whatsoever with my linksys router and different network cards, although the majority I have ever used have been 3com or Kingston.

Ok, so I will hunt for a linksys wireless router and some pci wireless network cards. MS has their own adapters for the xbox, although I am sure there is probably a cheaper, yet equal alternative.

Thanks again!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

yes, I would go with linksys wireless routers... keep in mind, one computer must stayed hard wired to it.

you could wire a wireless switch to your current router, but that cost almost the same as just replacing your router with a wireless version.

I use mostly USB recievers and have nad no issues.

The only part I can not help on is the 360, although generally, one device working at a backwards compatible speed does not affect the entire network.

and other than computer to computer networking, even the slowest original wireless routers are faster than any ISP out there. So internet speed will not be an issue.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    yes, I would go with linksys wireless routers... keep in mind, one computer must stayed hard wired to it.
    That's not correct.

The only part I can not help on is the 360, although generally, one device working at a backwards compatible speed does not affect the entire network.
    When mixing b and g gear, having b gear active on the network limits all wireless connections to b speeds. As I said, I'm not sure if that holds true for g gear in an n network, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    That's not correct.

When mixing b and g gear, having b gear active on the network limits all wireless connections to b speeds. As I said, I'm not sure if that holds true for g gear in an n network, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Maybe something has changed or maybe its just Linksys.
    But you can not access the setup/configuration IP on my Linksys G router through a wireless connection, you must use one of the hard ports.
    So to setup security, MAC clone or port forward, I have to keep one connected. Not an issues since it sits right next to the router.

yes, a B device will slow the network, I am not sure about N either... it says it is reguired to be compatible and interoperable... whatever that means.
    kind of moot if you are buying new, as I dont think you can even find B equipment anymore.
    My point was that the fastest ISP's run about 3 times slower than even a B network... so as in my case where I do not move data across, I just want internet access on all my PC's. Network traffic is not an issue no matter what I use.

I work in a IT shop of 500, surely one of those geeks has hooked a console up wireless I will ask around.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    Maybe something has changed or maybe its just Linksys.
    But you can not access the setup/configuration IP on my Linksys G router through a wireless connection, you must use one of the hard ports.
    So to setup security, MAC clone or port forward, I have to keep one connected. Not an issues since it sits right next to the router.
    You don't need to be connected to the internet to set that stuff up, so if you don't want to have a computer connected to the router permanently, you can bring the router to one of the computers and connect it temporarily to set it up, then put it in it's permanent location and it will be fine as long as no one hits "reset".

But I think you can even set up the wireless stuff nowadays without being connected to the router at all.