Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 773 Times in 309 Posts

Default 7-year old girl a hero for saving her whole family

VALLEJO, CA -- Vallejo firefighters are calling a 7-year old girl a hero for saving her whole family this morning.

A fire broke out at about 4:00 a.m. Monday morning, in a house where

Tamara Groves and her three children were sleeping. The smoke finally woke 7-year-old Kelby Yelder, who was sleeping in her top bunk. She knew what to do, but it sure wasn't easy.

"I was getting my mom up, then my brother. He doesn't like to get up so I had to make him get up," says Kelby.

Kelby knew what to do because the Vallejo Fire Department had visited her first grade class at Widerman Elementary School to talk about what to do in the event of a fire.

"The living room was engulfed in flames. She was leading her two brothers outside. If it wasn't for my daughter, I don't know what would have happened. She saved our lives this morning," says Tamara.

Kelby's lesson learned was needed one more time when her mom tried to go back into the flaming house.

"We told her no because she was trying to get back in the house," says Kelby.

Kelby's brothers, 5-year-old Reginald and 4-year-old Kendrick, know they owe their sister big time.

Fire investigators say the cause of the fire was due to flammable material being left too close to a wall heater. There was in fact a smoke detector, but it was not working. Luckily, they had a 7-year old girl there to save their lives.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 02:17 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

They had a smoke detector that wasn't working? Good thing their backup worked.

Very lucky for the family.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

03.25.16 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

flammable material too close to a space heater?

can't fix stupid.

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aceface9 View Post
    flammable material too close to a space heater?

can't fix stupid.
    It was a WALL heater, NOT a space heater.

And I bet you never, EVER, have made any kind of mistake. Have you?? Sometimes you put stuff someplace and don't even realize it's a fire hazard.

Add to it, a lot of your older, single level houses in California don't have standard, basement furnaces. They have wall heaters that are anywhere from 3 to 6 feet high. A chair can be considered flammable material under this circumstance.

Don't paint too widely with that self-righteous paintbrush there ace. It may come back to slap you in the face, when you least suspect it.
    Last edited by RRMB; 12.27.07 at 01:31 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)