Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:04 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

some big figures there!
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I was going through articles on Billboard just yesterday and noticed the attention given to Rush. With VH, The Police, The Eagles, and whatever other "reunion" acts I'm not remembering that successfully toured this year (and in the last couple of years), it really lends credibility to the idea that the record industry did itself in. There are more than enough young, talented musicians/bands out there right now, but they're not getting the national/international spotlight that bands of the past did. The record industry's failure to, a) invest long term in new bands, b) adapt to changing technologies, means the old bands can and will thrive. They have the loyalty from consumers! (They were given the TIME and ATTENTION in their respective days to develop a loyalty from/with the public!) Not that I'm complaining; I was almost damn giddy when I saw The Police this summer. But music in the mainstream got dumbed down to the point it was all about the three-minute formula hit--a quick bang for the buck--and there was no loyalty to artists from the record labels, thus there was no loyalty to artists from consumers. (There are exceptions to this, of course, but I'm speaking from a general, overall perspective.)

So I'm not surprised at all that older/reunion acts are doing so well. Just as time brought them to the point they felt like going out and doing it, the timing itself couldn't have been better--there's very little modern competition for them.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:57 AM
    Liked 18,102 Times in 8,944 Posts

The music industry has given up on supporting acts that actually produce albums instead of singles. I think it is being proven that bands that can throw out 25 songs that people know by heart will draw fans to a concert.

Bands that I know three songs from the radio will not draw me to a show, especially at $75 a seat minimum.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

#5 for VH isn't too shabby since their tour didn't start until the end of September. If it started when it was originally supposed to they could have and likely would have been no worse than #2 and IMO could have had the #1 tour.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

...and I have to say, The Police are really still at the top of their game. I've seen them three times this year, and they were truly magnificent. Completely new and fresh arrangements of all those truly wonderful songs, and outstanding performances each time to boot. I hear all the arguments about older bands getting too much coverage etc., but really, these guys are still sensational - if it's great it's great. I, for one, would be ecstatic at news of a new recording from messers Copeland, Summers and Sting.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    ...and I have to say, The Police are really still at the top of their game. I've seen them three times this year, and they were truly magnificent. Completely new and fresh arrangements of all those truly wonderful songs, and outstanding performances each time to boot. I hear all the arguments about older bands getting too much coverage etc., but really, these guys are still sensational - if it's great it's great. I, for one, would be ecstatic at news of a new recording from messers Copeland, Summers and Sting.
    Absolutely agree 100%. I've seen them twice this year and they are fantastic.

As for Van Halen, to pull that much money on 39 shows is stellar. I agree with Eddymon, in that if the Van Halen tour started earlier, they would be no worse than second. Great year for acts in 2007....

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    #5 for VH isn't too shabby since their tour didn't start until the end of September. If it started when it was originally supposed to they could have and likely would have been no worse than #2 and IMO could have had the #1 tour.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking. VH started this tour near the end of the year. If they started at the beginning of the year, they might have been number 1.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

On a per show basis, Van Halen is averaging about 1.45 Million per show. This is a better per show average than Kenny Chesney, who is in 2nd place overall.

Didn't the 2004 tour with Sammy generate something like 54 Million, but for 80 dates? Granted ticket prices have increased, but I'm pretty sure this year's tour is doing better than the 2004 tour. In terms of pure numbers -- Gross ticket sales, attendance, number of sold out shows, etc.

Where are all the people that thought this tour would fail miserably without Mikey? Let's face it, Van Halen is mainly about Eddie and Dave.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
    Absolutely agree 100%. I've seen them twice this year and they are fantastic.

As for Van Halen, to pull that much money on 39 shows is stellar. I agree with Eddymon, in that if the Van Halen tour started earlier, they would be no worse than second. Great year for acts in 2007....
    If only the mighty Van Halen would grace Europe, or, dare I hope it, the UK; that would make it tours from my two favourite bands - and not only my favourite, I've been pretty much a borderline obsessive superfan of these two groups since the late 70's/early 80's - in the space of a few months of each other!
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abe5150 View Post
    Where are all the people that thought this tour would fail miserably without Mikey? Let's face it, Van Halen is mainly about Eddie and Dave.
    Nobody EVER said it would fail miserably. Only a fucking idiot would think Mike not being there would make that much difference. Doesn't change the fact that Ed and Al acted like tools for their pathetic dismissal of Mike.

Van Halen may be about Ed and Dave to a lot people, never was to me. It was a band, not a revolving door around whatever Ed and Al's flavor of the week is. This year it's Dave.

Good for them doing well. They did well in 2004 despite the notion it was an utter failure. Hardly. Van Halen always makes money touring, even with Cherone they made money. It still changes nothing for me. Van Halen making a billion dollars doesn't validate dumping Mike.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Nobody EVER said it would fail miserably. Only a fucking idiot would think Mike not being there would make that much difference. Doesn't change the fact that Ed and Al acted like tools for their pathetic dismissal of Mike.

Van Halen may be about Ed and Dave to a lot people, never was to me. It was a band, not a revolving door around whatever Ed and Al's flavor of the week is. This year it's Dave.

Good for them doing well. They did well in 2004 despite the notion it was an utter failure. Hardly. Van Halen always makes money touring, even with Cherone they made money. It still changes nothing for me. Van Halen making a billion dollars doesn't validate dumping Mike.
    You know Brett, I think I finally figured out why people are so concerned with your opinion regarding the current tour because reading this has made me perhaps understand. It's because you have lost your sense of wonder and awe about the band and specifically Ed. It's like kids finding out that they've been lied to all those years about Santa Claus or realizing that no matter how good you are, life is not fair. It's the loss of innocence. When you started this website, you most certainly still had that but with each passing year and each slap in the face of the fans, the curtain has been pulled back and revealed that the Wizard is just a man like any other. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with how you feel about the treatment of Mike or Sam or anything other aspect with the band as I respect your principles. It's more a matter if you stop believing, it makes it harder for others to continue. (I know this probably sounds weird and sorry if this is the wrong place for it.)

Last Online

03.06.08 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So now Brett is reponsible for the loss of innocence as well as the perpetuation of the lie of Saint Nicolas to millions of children the world over? Damn, that's quite a load to bear. All this for a stupid little rock band outta Pasadena?

I think those who put so much stock into a website owner's opinion take the band far more seriously than even, well, a guy who starts a tribute website about the band.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    You know Brett, I think I finally figured out why people are so concerned with your opinion regarding the current tour because reading this has made me perhaps understand. It's because you have lost your sense of wonder and awe about the band and specifically Ed. It's like kids finding out that they've been lied to all those years about Santa Claus or realizing that no matter how good you are, life is not fair. It's the loss of innocence. When you started this website, you most certainly still had that but with each passing year and each slap in the face of the fans, the curtain has been pulled back and revealed that the Wizard is just a man like any other. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with how you feel about the treatment of Mike or Sam or anything other aspect with the band as I respect your principles. It's more a matter if you stop believing, it makes it harder for others to continue. (I know this probably sounds weird and sorry if this is the wrong place for it.)

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Chevy View Post
    So now Brett is reponsible for the loss of innocence as well as the perpetuation of the lie of Saint Nicolas to millions of children the world over? Damn, that's quite a load to bear. All this for a stupid little rock band outta Pasadena?

I think those who put so much stock into a website owner's opinion take the band far more seriously than even, well, a guy who starts a tribute website about the band.
    I was using it as something comparable so please reread what I was trying to convey. It certainly wasn't what you've said. It's more a matter that it sucks when reality comes crashing in. Ed is no longer the guitar hero, he's just a guy that changed the way it was played. Geez bud, you really need to chill.
    Last edited by loveevhsince79; 12.28.07 at 07:04 PM.