Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Question about a guitar I am building

So a month or two ago I bought a Kramer body off ebay some guy made. It looks pretty damn good but there were some routing issues with the floyd rose that I had to get sorted out, and now I am noticing something that bothers me.

The heel of the guitar, where the neck connects to the body is 1 1/16 inch wide. After looking at my Charvel and Ibanez, i have come to realize that that is about twice as wide as my other guitars. Doh. I don't know if the Kramers had that large of a heel, but I am noticing that it may not be deep enough to even mount the neck correctly.

So I am wondering if any body has any suggestions to fix this issue. I bought a hockey stick neck from divebomb, and if this body doesn't work out I might be buying a body from him too. But I would like to use this body since it did cost me 100 bucks, and it does look good a side from the routing issues.

Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Wait some guy made? Was this not a real American Kramer body?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Wait some guy made? Was this not a real American Kramer body?
    I found the body on Ebay. A guy on there makes a wide array of body's, such as strats, tele's etc. He just happened to make a kramer body, so I bought it with intentions of striping it and such. The shape looks really good and it is made of basswood. If I can find a digital camera I would be happy to take a picture.

EDIT: Nevermind, eGay still had the pictures up.

Last edited by iplayguitaralot; 12.24.07 at 11:22 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I'm not sure what you are referring to at 1 1/16 wide? Standard eck pockets are generally 2 3/16 wide or even 2 1/4 wide to geerally 5/8 deep. Also it should be roughly 3 inches long. Of course these are standard bolt-o measurements for bolt on necks. AS for the heel, I am not seeig what you are saying? Are you saying that the neck of the guitar hangs either over the edge or there is space from the heel shoing when he neck is mounted?

Give me more info and I'll be glad to help.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are referring to at 1 1/16 wide? Standard eck pockets are generally 2 3/16 wide or even 2 1/4 wide to geerally 5/8 deep. Also it should be roughly 3 inches long. Of course these are standard bolt-o measurements for bolt on necks. AS for the heel, I am not seeig what you are saying? Are you saying that the neck of the guitar hangs either over the edge or there is space from the heel shoing when he neck is mounted?

Give me more info and I'll be glad to help.
    It is kinda hard for me to describe.

Ok, imagine that the neck is bolted on. The piece of the body that the neck bolts to, when looking down on it, is about 1 and 1/16 wide. The neck joint is what I beleive it to be called. You know how the all access neck joint is nice and slender at that spot, and doesnt have that much width? The width of my body right there is what is worring me.

Thank you guys for bearing with me here. I have much to learn about guitar building. I have just measuered with my ruler how shallow the pocket is and it is 5/8, so that is good I think

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    It is kinda hard for me to describe.

Ok, imagine that the neck is bolted on. The piece of the body that the neck bolts to, when looking down on it, is about 1 and 1/16 wide. The neck joint is what I beleive it to be called. You know how the all access neck joint is nice and slender at that spot, and doesnt have that much width? The width of my body right there is what is worring me.

Thank you guys for bearing with me here. I have much to learn about guitar building. I have just measuered with my ruler how shallow the pocket is and it is 5/8, so that is good I think
    OK man. I know it's Xmas eve, but can you attach the neck with a clamp and then take a pic for me? I know I can help but am still not understanding the problem? DO you have the neck? Will it fit in the neck pocket as far as width?

If it's what I think you are saying, you are referring to the amount of heel that is left past the 5/8 depth of the routing for the neck pocket(depth). So actualy when you add the 2 measurements up it is 1-11/16" total? If so that is in the normal standard for board thickness to carve out a guitar.

If you want a more sculpted heel ( and this isn't for the faint of heart) get the sandpaper/ chisel/small plain out and begin from the bottom up. I would attach the neck with a clamp or two ( make sure you put some tape or scrap to it first) then begin by rounding the edges nicely and keep removing wood Slowly! As for playability the thickness as it is really won't bother you. My advice would be to go ahead and build the guitar (sans paint) which you should do anyway to make sure everything is right, and play iy for a while. I doubt it will bother you as much as you think. If it does, sculpt away, just don't take much because the neck pocket, especially on bolt on guitars needs stability. Start with a nice round over. Even better use a router if you have one and use a 3/8 roundover bit on the edges. If you don't the above mentioned will do.

Hope this helps. Do you have a pro around. If so definitely give it to a Luthier to sculpt the heel joint for you. Shouldn't be expensive. Let me know.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Confused (?).

Can you post a link of the eBay auction?

2 3/16" is about the standard, and most replacement necks are made to those specs. If the body wasn't routed to those specs, you should probably have a pro re-shape the neck pocket to fit your Divebomb neck.

What was the issue with the Floyd route?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    OK man. I know it's Xmas eve, but can you attach the neck with a clamp and then take a pic for me? I know I can help but am still not understanding the problem? DO you have the neck? Will it fit in the neck pocket as far as width?

If it's what I think you are saying, you are referring to the amount of heel that is left past the 5/8 depth of the routing for the neck pocket(depth). So actualy when you add the 2 measurements up it is 1-11/16" total? If so that is in the normal standard for board thickness to carve out a guitar.

If you want a more sculpted heel ( and this isn't for the faint of heart) get the sandpaper/ chisel/small plain out and begin from the bottom up. I would attach the neck with a clamp or two ( make sure you put some tape or scrap to it first) then begin by rounding the edges nicely and keep removing wood Slowly! As for playability the thickness as it is really won't bother you. My advice would be to go ahead and build the guitar (sans paint) which you should do anyway to make sure everything is right, and play iy for a while. I doubt it will bother you as much as you think. If it does, sculpt away, just don't take much because the neck pocket, especially on bolt on guitars needs stability. Start with a nice round over. Even better use a router if you have one and use a 3/8 roundover bit on the edges. If you don't the above mentioned will do.

Hope this helps. Do you have a pro around. If so definitely give it to a Luthier to sculpt the heel joint for you. Shouldn't be expensive. Let me know.
    It seems that you have figured out my terrible description!

All right, since that is normal I am definantly going to leave it alone. I have played many strats and that has never bothered me so I doubt it will here. Since it is an ebay body though I always want to double check.

Andrew, the route for the floyd was not deep enough, so I took a dremle and "modified" (hacked it) deep enough for my 42mm sustain block. It doesn't look bad, really.

Thanks a bunch you guys. I hope you don't mind my newb questions.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Divebomb neck is here today, it is so nice. I can't wait to get this thing together.