Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default New Custom AT Blue Sparkle Ash Strat!

I completed a new custom guitar this morning--a blue sparkle ash "Fat" Strat. Despite having various new guitar projects in the works, I haven't actually completed one since my custom Tele more than a year ago. (This is mostly due to my decision to start painting and/or staining them myself. I did NOT do the finish on this one, thus it came together in just a few weeks.) Unlike the Tele, I've been trying to find ways to make building guitars more economical. That has put me at looking for alternative parts builders and suppliers, taking on more of the assembly work myself, and combing eBay for deals on parts. (The tremolo on this guitar usually sells for about $175; I paid $25.)

Ted Vig at My Music Store (where I teach) helped with a couple of very important final aspects of the assembly of this guitar: He did all the electronics wiring and drilled the tremolo post holes (the lone bit of mounting I opted to leave to a seasoned pro).

I was a little disillusioned after my first couple of guitar projects went together as swiftly as they did. The several projects I have ongoing right now have all required very detailed preparation of routed cavities and parts, and as I mentioned earlier the finishing of a guitar body is tedious, messy, and slow. This new Strat was relatively easy, though I did have to go back three times to route the pickguard to fit the various other parts I'd chosen, the trem cavity required extra routing, and I had to play with neck shims about eight different times. To date I haven't ever used a Dremel tool on anything as much as this guitar.

I spent a good few hours this morning getting the setup right, and the thing plays remarkably well already; I'm usually tweaking for a couple of weeks after I complete a guitar.

If you're so interested, pictures of my other guitar projects are up on my MySpace page: <A HREF="http://www.myspace.com/andrewthomasolomusic">www.myspace.com/andrewthomassolomusic</A>.

Anyway, I'm always damn proud after I finish a guitar, so thanks for letting me share it here. The parts list and photos are below!

Mighty Mite Solid Ash Body--Blue Sparkle Finish
    Mighty Mite Maple Neck--C-Shape, 9.5"-12" Compound Radius, Medium-Jumbo Frets, Satin Finish
    Schaller M6La Mini Chrome Tuners
    Wilkinson Licensed Floyd Rose Chrome Tremolo Bridge w/ EVH D-Tuna
    Guitar Fetish FAT PAF Bridge & Neck Boutique Humbucker Pickups w/Chrome Covers
    3-Ply White Pearloid Pickguard & Tremolo Cover
    500K Volume & Tone Potentiometers w/ White Knobs
    3-Way Pickup Selector Switch w/ White Tip
    Switchcraft Jack
    All Chrome Hardware: Floyd Rose String Retainer Bar, 1 5/8" Locking Nut, Jack Plate, Neck Plate, Strap Buttons

Edit: Okay, so I still don't know how to properly embed photos. The ones I was attempting to post here are on the front page of my website: www.andrewthomas.net.

Edit Top Timmy---took care of those pics for you Andrew.
    Last edited by AT; 12.23.07 at 08:55 PM.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

That's the exact setup I want on my custom dream guitar. From Strat body/neck to Humbuckers to Floyd to the volume knob positioning....... FUCKIN' AWESOME ANDREW!!!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Look, having lived myself in an abode similar to your's, I honestly know how truly frustrating it can be to have a darned guitar in the way when one is bending over, trying to reach for that "Get Smart" DVD from the shelf.

If I can help you in any way (such as you sending me one or two of those nasty and annoying "extra" guitars that you have laying about), feel free to PM me for my current shipping address.

Oh, and the sparkly "bowling ball" finish axe looks nice.

By the way, it is not too late for you to install these, to truly finish the job!

All the best, Andrew. Nicely done.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks, TT!!

Yeah, Hammer, I was really careful about volume knob placement. My biggest gripe about most Strats is the placement of the volume--because that exactly where I like to rest my hand. Plus, I hardly ever use even the one tone knob, so why the hell would I need two?

I wanted a "rock" Strat that would function in a similar capacity as my Wolfgangs. So far this thing seems like it could do the job.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Look, having lived myself in an abode similar to your's, I honestly know how truly frustrating it can be to have a darned guitar in the way when one is bending over, trying to reach for that "Get Smart" DVD from the shelf.

If I can help you in any way (such as you sending me one or two of those nasty and annoying "extra" guitars that you have laying about), feel free to PM me for my current shipping address.

Oh, and the sparkly "bowling ball" finish axe looks nice.

By the way, it is not too late for you to install these, to truly finish the job!

All the best, Andrew. Nicely done.
    Chef, duder, I WISH I owned the Get Smart DVDs! But 2001: A Space Odyssey is on the far bottom shelf (difficult to get to), and that's one I often put on while I'm working on music.

"Bowling Ball Finish"!! I hadn't even thought of that! Classic!!

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Thanks, TT!!

Yeah, Hammer, I was really careful about volume knob placement. My biggest gripe about most Strats is the placement of the volume--because that exactly where I like to rest my hand. Plus, I hardly ever use even the one tone knob, so why the hell would I need two?

I wanted a "rock" Strat that would function in a similar capacity as my Wolfgangs. So far this thing seems like it could do the job.

My picking hand pinky always bangs into the volume knob on regular strats.

Also I pick right into the middle single coil pickup on a regular strat which is annoying.

I don't normally use the tone knob but it looks good. I think it balances out the look of the pickguard. I do like to do the Clapton "woman tone" thing with the neck pickup and the tone at 0. A Tone on/off switch would be cool. I never use any numbers on the tone knob except 0 or 10.

I want to do what you did but maybe a noiseless single coil at the bridge. Do you think this is a good place to start? : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=517910
    I wish it was a maple neck.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice. I hope my Kramer build looks 1/10th as good as that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,574 Times in 4,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Guy View Post
    Also I pick right into the middle single coil pickup on a regular strat which is annoying.
    I do the same thing, one of the reasons I don't play Strats. But my '83 Kramer Pacer Deluxe was 2 singles and the humbucker, and I just removed the middle single coil and had it rewired to get rid of that problem. I was actually going to just pull and Ed and have only the humbucker wired, I hate single coils anyway.

Nice axe AT, very interesting combination of electronics and hardware.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Nice work, AT. Make me one today and give it to Santy Clause so's he can bring it on his way to my house. Hurry! C'mon, man...chop chop. Get to work.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

beautiful work A.T.
    its always nice n refreshing to see some original work on here rather than the usual frankie/5150 clones. the sparkle finish looks great with the pickguard and the chrome humbuckers/hardware compliment the overal finish really well.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Guy View Post
    I want to do what you did but maybe a noiseless single coil at the bridge. Do you think this is a good place to start? : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=517910
    I wish it was a maple neck.
    That'd be pretty close. You'd need to replace the whole pickguard assembly with a new one that had the S-S-S configuration and the volume/tone placement like mine. I don't know where you'd get one like that, but you could see about getting an S-S-S pickguard without volume/tone holes drilled.

I did this whole guitar for under $400. If you have the will, you could do one similar.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default GFS Pickups

Thanks for the compliments, all. This Strat was actually a distraction from the other (numerous) ongoing projects I have. I found the body (lotted with a different neck) new on eBay cheap. I'm usually not a fan of pickguards at all, but I loved the blue sparkle finish so much I dismissed that dislike for this project.

Also, I'd asked about GFS pickups on here a few times. I can usually get Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio pickups at or slightly above dealer cost, but they're still more expensive than the GFS pups. So far, through my home rig, they sound pretty damn good--very PAF warm with balanced lows. I also bought a set of their 59s for my Thinline Strat, so I'm now looking forward to hearing those also. It was a pleasant surprise (and relief) to hear how good the GFS pups were.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

v cool.

nice work.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beautiful Guitar AT! I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you should seriously think about getting some more guitars. I just don't think you have nearly enough.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How's that Mighty Mite neck? I've heard they're not as good as Musikraft / Warmoth.