Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Climate Change Drying up Mountains in Western U.S.

SAN FRANCISCO - By 2040, climate change will have melted the glaciers of Glacier National Park in Montana and the spring snowpack in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, scientists said on Tuesday.

"People talk about a tipping point, but we've been there and done that," said Tim Barnett, a researcher at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in California and speaker at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union.
    About 15,000 researchers have gathered in San Francisco this week to discuss earthquakes, water resources and planetary science, but climate change was the topic of the day.

Barnett studies snowpack at high altitudes in the Western United States and estimates the region's snow accumulation decreased an average of 20 percent between 1950 and 1999.

Only about one quarter of this decrease can be reliably explained by natural temperature variations. Computer modeling shows the remainder is "a slam dunk" attributable to human activity, said Barnett.

About 50 percent of the fresh water consumed by people worldwide comes from mountains, so the rate at which snowpack is disappearing is worrying, said Daniel Fagre, an ecologist who works for the US Geological Survey in Glacier National Park in Montana.

Fagre said only about 25 of 150 glaciers that once dotted Glacier National Park remain. Initial data projected that, for the first time in more than 1,000 years, the park would be without ice floes by 2030, but more recent estimates project the icebergs may be lost even before then, Fagre said.

"The glaciers of Glacier National Park will be gone in our lifetimes," Fagre said, noting that big horn sheep now graze in the park locations where glaciers once stood.

Scientists say climate change is caused by carbon dioxide which traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere and raises temperatures. Other speakers at the meeting said climate change is also a cyclical process that accelerates once it has begun.

For example, as snow melts on mountain peaks, it exposes the surface of the Earth, which is darker in color and absorbs more of the sun's radiation, said Thomas Painter, an assistant professor at the University of Utah. (Editing by Jim Christie and Mohammad Zargham)

Story by Amanda Beck

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsst...5993/story.htm
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

That story came out of San Francisco? There's a big surprise!

Fire up another blunt, and come up with another fantasy you frickin' stoners!

This makes more sense to me. By John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel:

It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create an allusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environmental whacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the “research” to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. Soon they claimed to be a consensus.

Environmental extremists, notable politicians among them, then teamed up with movie, media and other liberal, environmentalist journalists to create this wild “scientific” scenario of the civilization threatening environmental consequences from Global Warming unless we adhere to their radical agenda. Now their ridiculous manipulated science has been accepted as fact and become a cornerstone issue for CNN, CBS, NBC, the Democratic Political Party, the Governor of California, school teachers and, in many cases, well informed but very gullible environmentally conscientious citizens. Only one reporter at ABC has been allowed to counter the Global Warming frenzy with one 15 minute documentary segment.

I do not oppose environmentalism. I do not oppose the political positions of either party. However, Global Warming, i.e. Climate Change, is not about environmentalism or politics. It is not a religion. It is not something you “believe in.” It is science; the science of meteorology. This is my field of life-long expertise. And I am telling you Global Warming is a non-event, a manufactured crisis and a total scam. I say this knowing you probably won’t believe a me, a mere TV weatherman, challenging a Nobel Prize, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning former Vice President of United States. So be it.

I have read dozens of scientific papers. I have talked with numerous scientists. I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct. There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril. I am incensed by the incredible media glamour, the politically correct silliness and rude dismissal of counter arguments by the high priest of Global Warming.

In time, a decade or two, the outrageous scam will be obvious. As the temperature rises, polar ice cap melting, coastal flooding and super storm pattern all fail to occur as predicted everyone will come to realize we have been duped. The sky is not falling. And, natural cycles and drifts in climate are as much if not more responsible for any climate changes underway. I strongly believe that the next twenty years are equally as likely to see a cooling trend as they are to see a warming trend.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

ah well. most of this crap wont get really bad until after im long gone, so it doesnt matter to me.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this matter but I have read a fair bit, from both sides of the debate. Not being a scientist, a lot of it goes over my head but I get it in the broader sense.

A lot of what is published is conjecture or prediction with an assortment of well-chosen facts, chosen usually only in order to support the writer's case.

What always come back to haunt me about the silliness of the whole debate is this:

If this is just part of a naturally occuring cycle, there is pretty much nothing we can do to alter events. If man-made, there are surely preventative measures which can be taken. Now here's the crux. If I were a betting man and I didn't know which of the two was more likely, I would take steps on the things that I could control, that is, carbon emissions.

If I'm wrong it doesn't matter anyway, but if I'm right, I may just have saved my future.

Another point is that fossil fuels will run out at some point so we need to be developing renewable energy now anyway, not waiting until it's too late.

There is a lot of sensationalist writing on this subject and so many unknowns but if I had the power to do anything major, I would certainly be erring on the side of caution.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

If I'm wrong it doesn't matter anyway, but if I'm right, I may just have saved my future.
    Interesting. Parallels can be drawn from that on religion and deity, yet your stance there is much more rigid.

Off topic. Need not be discussed. Just struck me odd hearing that coming from you.

Personally, I agree with the weather channel feller. I think man made global warming is a pile of shit that people eat daily, and many make a steady diet of.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's good Viking, instead of debating with the facts, you discredit the source...and that substancesless diatribe provided NOTHING--not a SINGLE THING--in the way of scientific refutation of the facts.

The polar ice caps are melting. Glacier National Park is rapidly losing its glaciers. How does anyone explain this away?

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's our self-destructive bent, Jan. Funny how most of the folks who won't
    accept climate change were the ones most eager to go to war. I think what
    they're saying is: Fuck everything. Including you and San Francisco.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Personally, I agree with the weather channel feller. I think man made global warming is a pile of shit that people eat daily, and many make a steady diet of.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

At school, and this further's my hate for teachers, in one of my classes we got on the topic, and my teacher apparently said we're in danger and we have to take steps in order to save our lives in the future because of Global Warming.

I have NEVER believed in this, and I've been hearing about it since I was in first grade. So I decided to point out "If we're in danger, and the polar ice caps are melting, exactly what proof is there that it's actually happening? Last I checked, nothing's been proved." I got a response something like "That's what we're being told." My response, naturally, was "By who? The American Government? Yeah, right. I'd take the word of a scientist over a political figure, and scientists have been able to PROVE Global Warming is a myth."

Afterwards, I got threatened with some form of disciplinary action if I were to counter the "facts" again. But why should I sit there and let this blowhard talk bullshit into the minds of these gullible young kids who will believe anything? It just isn't right.

So yeah, Global Warming is a political myth, and when I'm 40 years old and my children ask me "What was Global Warming?" all I have to tell them is "A fucking joke told by the U.S. Government, and we lived through the punchline".
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Last edited by onefootoutthedoor; 12.22.07 at 02:17 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Interesting. Parallels can be drawn from that on religion and deity, yet your stance there is much more rigid.

Off topic. Need not be discussed. Just struck me odd hearing that coming from you.

That made me laugh seenbad. I get your point entirely but you have to admit that the religion bit is about a faith. To say, for example, I believe in god because I'm scared that there is the possibility of a hell (or whatever) is an intellectual exercise of hedging bets. Nothing to do with faith. This idea has more to do with a presentation of facts. These things are happening, there is just debate as to why. But I do, as I say, see what you are saying. I'll bet you laughed your arse off when you saw what you thought was a conflict of ideas on my part. My job is to entertain.

I tend to agree more with the global warming "alarmists" (as they seem to be viewed here) for a variety of reasons.

Like i said, so much of the intricacies of the science is beyond me, but I have read numerous "simple man" break downs and it seems to be pretty logical.

One argument against man made global warming is that man's output of co2 is only a small percentage of that which is naturally occuring. I agree with this, it seems obvious yet, our whole enviroment, from the macro right down to the smallest ecosystems, is balanced very finely. Even small adjustments have drastic repercussions. I think man is that small adjustment that could tip things over the edge.

Deforestation, a man made phenomena, is most certainly affecting the enviroment's ability to absorb c02 and to stabilise it with normally naturally produced o2. The rates at which we are losing the "lungs" of the world are astonishing. I'm sorry but, anyone who says this isn't affecting things has not read the facts. It's not just about producing more greenhouse gasses: it's also about us removing the planet's ability to deal with the surplus.

Polar ice caps melting? They are. The evidence speaks for itself. No need to provide links. Just look at anything on the subject. As to whether it's man made..... well, it's accelerated beyond previous known patterns, by a mathematical factor of "shit!! we're going...."

I could go on but a) I can't be bothered right now and b) I don't like getting into fights when I don't have all the weapons at hand.

I will say though, that a lot of the naysayers, such as this tv weatherman, seem to spout out groundless diatribes such as posted here, which sound more like an angry egotrip than the words of a serious scientist. No facts, just lots of "I, that's right I, ME, have been thinking and THEY are wrong". mmmm, thanks for clearing up the debate so quickly.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post

At school, and this further's my hate for teachers, in one of my classes we got on the topic, and my teacher apparently said we're in danger and we have to take steps in order to save our lives in the future because of Global Warming.

I have NEVER believed in this, and I've been hearing about it since I was in first grade. So I decided to point out "If we're in danger, and the polar ice caps are melting, exactly what proof is there that it's actually happening? Last I checked, nothing's been proved." I got a response something like "That's what we're being told." My response, naturally, was "By who? The American Government? Yeah, right. I'd take the word of a scientist over a political figure, and scientists have been able to PROVE Global Warming is a myth."

Afterwards, I got threatened with some form of disciplinary action if I were to counter the "facts" again. But why should I sit there and let this blowhard talk bullshit into the minds of these gullible young kids who will believe anything? It just isn't right.

So yeah, Global Warming is a political myth, and when I'm 40 years old and my children ask me "What was Global Warming?" all I have to tell them is "A fucking joke told by the U.S. Government, and we lived through the punchline".

Wow you're such a man of the world. Just as you say there is "no proof" of global warming you can't provide any evidence to show otherwise. While the truth about whether it is cyclinic or man made can be argued the reality is the ice caps and glaciers are melting. All you have to do is look at satellite imaging. If seeing is believing then there is your proof. The seas are also rising. Beaches and coastal areas I once played on as a kid are now underwater.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Proof of Global Warming...

A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hail to the Global Warming then!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

That proves it......evolution and adaptations do infact occur with the female species.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post

I have NEVER believed in this, and I've been hearing about it since I was in first grade. So I decided to point out "If we're in danger, and the polar ice caps are melting, exactly what proof is there that it's actually happening? Last I checked, nothing's been proved."
    Did you even bother to read the original post?