Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Default Bill Gates has it right....

So I teach 5th grade in Ventura County, California. I used to teach at a very affluent school in good ole Westlake Village until I got transferred to a school that is primarily blue collar. In comparing the two, I am much happier where I am now and here are a few reasons...

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won' t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait ‘til you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
    Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes, and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's gen eration, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life, people actually
    have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on.
    If you can read this - Thank a teacher!

If you are reading it in English -Thank a soldier

At the affluent school, I can't tell you how many parents made excuses for their kids repeatedly making bad choices. At my new school, for the most part, the parents have my back. It's nice..

Anyway, I thought this was cool. And to anybody who has kids who go to elemetary school in the Conejo Valley, I might end up being your kid's teacher..

And by the way, happy winter break to all the teachers out there...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this is another email I get every few months and it's always attributed to somebody different...bill gates, steve jobs, colin powell, and peter jennings are ones that come to mind....

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

No matter who it is attributed too, it is good advice!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    this is another email I get every few months and it's always attributed to somebody different...bill gates, steve jobs, colin powell, and peter jennings are ones that come to mind....

Regardless, it's refreshing to hear..

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.asp

But I agree - good rules to live by.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Well, kudos to Chuck Sykes...

Dude has it right

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by HippieLettuce View Post
    Regardless, it's refreshing to hear..
    definitely good stuff...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Do real people actually forward this kind of stuff to friends, family, and co-workers? Everyone I know hates getting crap like this in their e-mail.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Do real people actually forward this kind of stuff to friends, family, and co-workers? Everyone I know hates getting crap like this in their e-mail.
    i really have no idea how/why crap like this gets around...i have to assume there are bots involved somewhere...

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Regardless of the source, this is great advice.

In itself it teaches a sense of personal responsibility, something so lacking in our "who can I blame for this?" culture.

If a kid fails an exam, no, they are not a winner. The best ideology is to teach, or at least guide, our young to realise that we are not all academics, or indeed capable of all, just something.

I am an English school director with a mensa iq yet, put me on a football field with David Beckham and this guy would make me look like a moron, yet this guy struggles to express himself in his native language.

The best education i ever had was when i was about 12 years old.

A very old school English professor told me that I could write and that maybe words could be my career. He then told me that I should never try throwing a punch at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX because it was very likely that he would become a professional boxer.

Good advice. none of us is good at it all. The best inspiration comes from guidance into finding what we can do,not what we can't.

False hopes are just delaying an inevitable disappointment and possible resentment.

Tell the kids how it is, at least as the speaker sees it, and then inspire them to be the best they can be at what they do.

Shit, I am obviously one of those idealistic teachers. I'll stick with that for now though.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

If a kid fails an exam, no, they are not a winner.
    I'm glad that you said this. Because here in the United States, we have this thing called 'every kid is a winner' type bullshit. Every kid gets a trophie or a ribbon etc, for just playing a sport. Even at levels as high at 10,11, and 12 year old kids get awards for being in LAST place. That's just stupid. It doesn't teach our kids the simple fact that, "Only the strong survive." In the real world, not everyone wins. These kids think that it's ok to come in last and we don't want to hurt their feelings. It only screws them up once they get older. They wake up one day when they are 20 and then 30 and wonder why they haven't won employee of the month at Burger King...yet again.

I always pegged you as a lefty "all kids are winners" kind of guy. I was wrong. And since you're a Mensa smarty pants, I'll not ask you to tangle in spelling bee or a math quiz. LOL. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Regardless of the source, this is great advice.

In itself it teaches a sense of personal responsibility, something so lacking in our "who can I blame for this?" culture.

If a kid fails an exam, no, they are not a winner. The best ideology is to teach, or at least guide, our young to realise that we are not all academics, or indeed capable of all, just something.

I am an English school director with a mensa iq yet, put me on a football field with David Beckham and this guy would make me look like a moron, yet this guy struggles to express himself in his native language.

The best education i ever had was when i was about 12 years old.

A very old school English professor told me that I could write and that maybe words could be my career. He then told me that I should never try throwing a punch at XXXXXXXXXXXXXX because it was very likely that he would become a professional boxer.

Good advice. none of us is good at it all. The best inspiration comes from guidance into finding what we can do,not what we can't.

False hopes are just delaying an inevitable disappointment and possible resentment.

Tell the kids how it is, at least as the speaker sees it, and then inspire them to be the best they can be at what they do.

Shit, I am obviously one of those idealistic teachers. I'll stick with that for now though.
    Nice post.