Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Cash Grab '04

While I dont think it was " only "for the cash... Think Sammy would have went back out on tour & lived thru all the drama if the $100 mil Cabo sale was done prior to the tour?
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Yes, I truly believe Sammy is in it for the Music and the Fans.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Except of course that little deal he cut with the VH brothers regarding opening more Cabo Wabo Cantina's in return for touring. I guess that had nothing to do with money and was only about the music......And before you flame me, I'm a fan of Van Hagar. I just don't think for a minute they did the reunion thing just for the music and the fans. It was about money from the get go. No harm, the music business is called a business for a reason after all.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Except of course that little deal he cut with the VH brothers regarding opening more Cabo Wabo Cantina's in return for touring. I guess that had nothing to do with money and was only about the music......And before you flame me, I'm a fan of Van Hagar. I just don't think for a minute they did the reunion thing just for the music and the fans. It was about money from the get go. No harm, the music business is called a business for a reason after all.

what's this deal you're making up? How/why would the Vh brothers have any say in Sammy opening any new Cabo clubs if they already sold off their interest in the brand in the 90s?
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't know about the deal with the cabo clubs (i thought he now owned the name outright as well), but sammy definitely went on that tour for the money... i would say, however, that he does look like he genuinely enjoys himself while performing, unlike some others who maybe go through the motions... and there's nothing wrong with doing it for the money - they're not out to save the world...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I do think that Sammy is out doing it for the fans and the people who really do love his music and performances.....I'm just kind of tired of him and Mikey too saying, "They'd do it for free tomorrow"....well sorry guys...you're not doing it for free...so stop saying that....

I mean I'm sure if they did do it for free the management would not be happy maybe that's why their charging money...that could be why I guess...

Either way I would have no problem paying double what I paid to see VH to see Sammy on stage like I did last year....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

There is a scene in "The Long Road to Cabo" (2003 DVD) where Sam and Mike are in a car leaving a show. Sam says to Mike "wouldn't it be great to do it one more time with the brothers"

I am paraphrasing but it is a cool part of the movie and it really pumped me up for a reunion that wasn't set up yet.

My point is that they looked so genuine in that seen. It doesn't look like dollar signs in Sam's eyes. He looks like he wants to do it because he loves it.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    what's this deal you're making up? How/why would the Vh brothers have any say in Sammy opening any new Cabo clubs if they already sold off their interest in the brand in the 90s?
    The rumor is that the original Cabo deal between Sam and the brothers left the brothers with an interest in the Cabo clubs if Sammy ever wanted to open them in the U.S. Supposedly as part of the 2004 deal, the brothers gave that up.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Guy View Post
    There is a scene in "The Long Road to Cabo" (2003 DVD) where Sam and Mike are in a car leaving a show. Sam says to Mike "wouldn't it be great to do it one more time with the brothers"

I am paraphrasing but it is a cool part of the movie and it really pumped me up for a reunion that wasn't set up yet.

My point is that they looked so genuine in that seen. It doesn't look like dollar signs in Sam's eyes. He looks like he wants to do it because he loves it.
    Funny thing is I watched that movie after the 2004 Tour was almost finished. So it was kind of cool to watch that.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.30.09 @ 08:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would say the 2007-2008 tour is an even bigger cash grab.
    Eddie is helping to secure his son's future as well. Wolfie has to be getting paid a very large amount of money which Eddie most likely insisted on. All the money is paid by promoters.
    As Mike stated in an interview a few months back the brothers have had divorces which caused alot of money to be lost. That was the main reason he didn't need to worry about money anymore.
    Also, Eddie has stated in the past that he WOULD NOT tour without new music. Not only are they not playing new music they are playing the same exact set list every night and the newest song they play is about 23 years old. Even Dave's little rap is almost word for word every night. I have listened to 99% of the bootlegs so can say this is true.
    The only difference in his rap was the other night in San Jose where he said he knew the town like the back of his hand and that was from riding a bike around town each time he has been there. He also changes the part about his girlfriend asking for a kiss to him telling her he would play the ice cream song if she kissed him.
    All no big deal...but it is all definetly for the money. Nobody plays for free on that big of a scale...even the Ozzy shows where they had free admission still saw Ozzy getting paid from the promoters.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be hard to say the money has nothing to do with it, but I still think Sammy really does care about the fans and understands how many of us wanted a better ending than we got in 1996. For me personally, I look at the 2004 tour(for all it's issues) as closure for Sammy and Van Halen. I got my chance to see him one last time with Ed and Al and I actually got a pretty good show in Biloxi. Had Ed not been so sick with alcoholism, maybe they would have been able to air their issues and move forward with a new record. Obviously, that didn't happen and we have the 4th version of the band to see now. So, as a fan, you take what you can get. When it comes to fault, they all share in that, some more than others. As far as integrity, I happen to believe Sammy has a lot of it. That said, having 2004, makes it a lot easier for me to see Van Halen on this tour, and I will.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.09.12 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sam wouldnt play in front of 5000 people in Sioux City, Iowa if it werent for the fans and the enjoyment of playing. Try and get VH to play in front of 5000 people for the price of $50 a ticket.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it possible that he did it for the himself, the fans and money or must he only have one motivation?
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Guy View Post

You are correct - that's also when Mike call's the bros. Beavis and Butthead - that was classic.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    The rumor is that the original Cabo deal between Sam and the brothers left the brothers with an interest in the Cabo clubs if Sammy ever wanted to open them in the U.S. Supposedly as part of the 2004 deal, the brothers gave that up.
    Correct. I either read/heard an interview with Sam soon after the 1996 split and he said he could never expand Cabo Wabo into America without the brothers getting a piece of that. Might have been his book.
    Always wondered about how the Tahoe place came about because of that, and had never heard of that deal in 2004, but it makes sense since he opened that place about a month before they hit the road together.

On Sam's motives, he isn't purely in it for the fans or the music. He's in it for money, the music, the fans, and probably ego as well. Don't you think it stroked his ego to play the big arenas again and get some attention he didn't get on his own by joining up with VH?
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red