Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Job Hunting SUCKS!

So the art gallery I run will be closed down at the end of January. I found out two weeks ago and since then I've been frantically updating my resume and applying for jobs. In the last week alone I've applied to over 30 jobs. I haven't gotten a real reply or invitation for an interview yet and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

This blows.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

It totally sucks. It's even harder if you're trying to break into a company. Since employers hold the upper hand, they will hold out for the most experienced person 9 times out of 10. That's great if you're really experienced doing something, but is very difficult if you're a recent graduate. On the flip side, if you're over experienced, employers are cheap and do not want to hire someone they feel they will need to pay more to fill the position. You have the be in the Goldielocks zone to get the job. It also helps if you are female and have a great body. Unfortunately I'm male and have a coach potato physique.

I went through this process for almost a year out of college. I would take shit jobs just so I could say I was employed and I wasn't getting any other offers. The real trouble was I was spending more money than I was making because of the nature of the work. Now I finally have a job that's workable and makes money to pay the bills, but it was the most frustrating year of my life.

Hang in there man. I wish I could give advice, but I sucked at finding a job, so I would probably be the last person to ask. Definitely put an updated resume on Monster, Hotjobs, etc. I got a call from the employer after they saw my resume, no job hunting required
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've got a resume up on monster...I guess I'll add it to hotjobs while I'm at it.

It sucks because I have a lot of experience that in reality do in fact translate to a lot of different places but on paper, it doesn't sound like they would...if that makes sense.

For the past three years I've run every aspect of a retail store and a website. Before that I was a record setting sales guy, departmental and assistant store manager for a major retailer. Before that I was a director of training for a major market research firm...but it seems that since the three companies were so different from one another, people don't see me as versatile...they see me as not having applicable skills...

I'm over qualified for stuff like office assistant and admin assistant stuff but I'm under-qualified for upper management crap as far everyone seems to be concerned. We'll see...I'm putting nothing but positive energy out there...or at least I'm trying to...so I know the cosmos will open something up for me...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

hear ya...when your working jobs fall right on top of you..when you need a job freaking wal mart isnt hiring. Its who you know, not what you know.
    Dealing with it.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    hear ya...when your working jobs fall right on top of you..when you need a job freaking wal mart isnt hiring. Its who you know, not what you know.
    I always say the only thing worse than working is looking for a job

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't lose hope, Broken 9500. December is traditionally a difficult time to find a job, what with end-of-year budgets and stuff. Things should pick up in January. In the meantime, enjoy the unemployment checks.

I always enjoyed job hunting (really!). Tailoring the cover letter and resume to what one thinks the potential employer would like to see. I particularly liked the psychology of the interview. Do I tell them the truth or repeat what the company rep wants to hear? I always opted for the truth because if they didn't like me at the interview, they certainly wouldn't like me on the job.

True story. I hated my job. I had been applying in New York, but I really wanted to live in LA. I started using my job's sick days/vacation days to make clandestine trips to LA for interviews. I was thisclose to getting one job in LA, but they chose the other person. Then I got "laid off" of my job in NY.

During the last week of my unemployment benefts, I received a call (one year later, mind you) asking if I was still interested in that same job in LA. I had two weeks to pack up, find an apartment, and get on a plane.

Things will happen.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    So the art gallery I run will be closed down at the end of January. I found out two weeks ago and since then I've been frantically updating my resume and applying for jobs. In the last week alone I've applied to over 30 jobs. I haven't gotten a real reply or invitation for an interview yet and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

This blows.
    What gallery?
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've got a resume up on monster...I guess I'll add it to hotjobs while I'm at it.

It sucks because I have a lot of experience that in reality do in fact translate to a lot of different places but on paper, it doesn't sound like they would...if that makes sense.

For the past three years I've run every aspect of a retail store and a website. Before that I was a record setting sales guy, departmental and assistant store manager for a major retailer. Before that I was a director of training for a major market research firm...but it seems that since the three companies were so different from one another, people don't see me as versatile...they see me as not having applicable skills...

I'm over qualified for stuff like office assistant and admin assistant stuff but I'm under-qualified for upper management crap as far everyone seems to be concerned. We'll see...I'm putting nothing but positive energy out there...or at least I'm trying to...so I know the cosmos will open something up for me...
    Then make sure you write a skills-based resume - lead off with the skill sets you bring to the table, similarly to what you just wrote, but more as a bullet point list. Then do brief job description with the jobs to tie them in. Skills translate, even if positions don't necessarily. If you make that plain and clear on the resume, it'll get picked up on. And will get picked up on the search and screening tools that use skill based key words.

Also, review your resume like you were looking to hire someone like you. What would you want to see? Are you too specific or detailed where you don't really have to be? Are there places you can make it simpler and more advantageous-looking WITHOUT lying? (never, EVER lie on a resume, too easy to get caught) A good resume makes ALL the difference in getting you in the door.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't rely on the internet.

You've got to target employers and walk in through their door. The holiday season is a time when many employers cut loose problem employees and you can take advantage of this.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    A good resume makes ALL the difference in getting you in the door.
    This is quite true, but what many people don't know is that a good cover letter is just as important.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    What gallery?
    the name of the place is Indian Sun...we were located in the Rice Village for sometime and moved to Old Town Spring last year. We specialize in native american art and jewelry....

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Then make sure you write a skills-based resume - lead off with the skill sets you bring to the table, similarly to what you just wrote, but more as a bullet point list. Then do brief job description with the jobs to tie them in. Skills translate, even if positions don't necessarily. If you make that plain and clear on the resume, it'll get picked up on. And will get picked up on the search and screening tools that use skill based key words.

Also, review your resume like you were looking to hire someone like you. What would you want to see? Are you too specific or detailed where you don't really have to be? Are there places you can make it simpler and more advantageous-looking WITHOUT lying? (never, EVER lie on a resume, too easy to get caught) A good resume makes ALL the difference in getting you in the door.
    this is the approach I've taken, really stressing all the skills I've acquired and I'm also tailoring the resume and cover letter to the specific jobs I'm applying for because not all the positions I'm interested in are in retail. In fact, my preference is to leave retail and move back into office management/market research/HR that kind of thing...but since my last two jobs which between the two cover the last eight years have been in retail establishments, on the surface it doesn't seem like my skills translate to an office...so I've retooled my resume to reflect the totality of my background and the skills that I've acquired running retail stores that do in fact translate well...

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Don't rely on the internet.

You've got to target employers and walk in through their door. The holiday season is a time when many employers cut loose problem employees and you can take advantage of this.
    you know...I've always been a fan of meeting people face to face and takling to them and that's how it used to be. You could walk into a place ask to speak to a manager and start up a conversation and hand them a resume. Now Im' being told over and over and over again that they don't even have or accept applications, that everything is handled through "corporate" and through the website. Most companies don't even do their own hiring anymore...I'm covering my bases by putting out applications but I'm really hoping that one of my personal contacts will come through because finding a job/good career move always seems to come from people I know rather than faceless application process.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

you know...I've always been a fan of meeting people face to face and takling to them and that's how it used to be. You could walk into a place ask to speak to a manager and start up a conversation and hand them a resume. Now Im' being told over and over and over again that they don't even have or accept applications, that everything is handled through "corporate" and through the website. Most companies don't even do their own hiring anymore...I'm covering my bases by putting out applications but I'm really hoping that one of my personal contacts will come through because finding a job/good career move always seems to come from people I know rather than faceless application process.
    Yeah, i work for a large insurance co. And you can walk into the office and ask about a job, and the manager just gives them the co. website to apply on.

I got my previous job by walking in...but it was still a who you know deal. The branch manager had quit and a friend of mine in the biz told me about the opening. But it was a real small company.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I've always hated looking for a job. I am normally a procrastinator but when it comes down to looking for a job, is when I'm at my best at the whole procrastination thing.

It's probably why I ended up at Amazon again after being fucked over. I didn't want to take the time to hunt for a new job, so I just got back a job that I knew would be easy for me to get into.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I heard back from a friend's friend. He says he can only pay me straight commission and it would be at least 2-3 months before I made anything but after that I'd be set....that's ain't gonna work.

I got a call from a complete fucking prick this morning wanting to bring me in for an interview and he was such an arrogant ass that I passed. He was that bad.

I got a call from another place yesterday and had a great phone conversation with the lady and she said she was going to check the owner's schedule and call me back for a face to face interview this week.

I also have another lead that my buddy is going to check on later today and I'm going to lunch in a bit with a good friend who may have some ideas. We'll see.

god this sucks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sucks? You seem to be teeming with potentials in just a short time. So there's some clunkers during the way. If you were going solely through the search engines and the local paper you'd be sitting around the house waiting.

Everyone always told me that networking is the key. Sounds like it's working in spades for you.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.