Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Secrets
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. That's all I can start with. Consistent show with everything I have read around here. 2 1/2 hours of kick ass Van Halen. I was in the back of the arena, mix was in and out. Piped in back ups on Little Dreamer, and those are all I heard that I thought were fake.

This may sound cynical, but with as tight as the show is scripted, I almost felt like the comradery and chemistry among the band was as tightly scripted as the set list. I want more Van Halen very bad, but I had a sinking feeling.

Again not trying to be negative, just explaining the vibe I felt.

Going to Aneheim in 3 days to do it again!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.25.11 @ 11:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether or not it was scripted, whether or not dave and eddie really meant all of thier high fives and hugs...dont care...that was 2 1/2 hours of pure jubilation and rock n' roll glory. Same setlist...eddie tinkered around with his solo a little more than when I saw them in Sacramento, Somebody get me a doctor solo was really tight. The only song they werent in sync it seemed like was Voodoo Queen, er, I mean Mean Street. Otherwise, no one that says they like Van Halen has any excuse not to see this show...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good show in San Jose, the band really seems to be enjoying playing together. Roth seems giddy to be out there. The set was the same as all others on the tour, it's only the guitar solo that seems to vary in structure. Ed started with the Little Guitars intro...it was not his best solo, a bit off and disjointed, but he seemed to enjoy himself. The "that suit is you" like in Unchained was directed at a guy in a Santa hat instead of Wolfgang, although Wolfie still gave the "give me a break" line to Roth. The crowd seemed to react more to the "hits" and was more subdued for the deeper stuff.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

San Jose was fantastic! I was in the 5th row center and the band sounded great. They really do seem to be having a great time up there. Dave had a big smile the whole night. Eddie seems really touched when the crowed broke into the EDDIE , EDDIE chant. Can't wait for Oakland this Saturday the 22nd!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.21.08 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Don't shoot the messenger

Since there's only 4 reviews here does that mean everyone else felt the same as I did?

I was at the show Sunday night and had been waiting with huge anticipation to see this tour since I purchased the tickets in September. I was nearly center floor, 18th row. The seats were amazing. Sound was okay, better at times. My hearos cleared up a lot of the sound when I had them in.

So, let me preface by saying that I love this band, especially EVH. He's the reason I play guitar in the first place. I've seen the band a number of times (unfortunately my first time with Dave - my favorite of all the incarnations) and I've watched bootlegs, official videos, LWAN, to know when EVH is really cooking and on his game. I play guitar and have spent countless hours and days trying to mimic his licks and feel.

The show I saw Sunday leaves me to conclude the very sad fact:

Eddie is half the man he used to be.

I know for some people this is going to be like trying to tell them that the Virgin Birth is a myth, but let me try.

His tone is not good. It's way overdriven and extremely brittle. When he rolls off the volume knob he has no dynamics. The brown sound of old (hell I'll even take processed RHRN over this) was organic and had presence. His tone now basically sucks and doesn't gel with the drums. The way his tone is now there is no room for error. No jape, no nothing. You can hear each time his gnarled fingers barely make a mistake.

We've all watched LWAN, seen the boots, seen him rip live. That guy isn't around anymore. There's something strange about the way he's playing. It's like he just can't do it like he used to. I'm not talking 80 percent. I'm saying 50 percent. He's always a half beat behind but seems like he's trying hard.

His solo was pure horseshit and it is the first time in history (even 2004) that I wanted for it to be over. Revisit the rolled off volume knob. . do any other guitar players feel like it sounds shitty when he does it now?

EVH used to be able to fall down the stairs and land on his feet. Now he falls down the stairs and lands on one knee at best.

He's smiling like hell and jumping around. Happy. I loved that. But long gone are the days of the fluid Ed who would just fucking knock you out with the things he'd do live. He used to be in control and the person I always watched. I found myself watching Dave and Al more than Ed. It was weird.

On to the great parts of the show. DLR is amazing. He has a true presence. The guy's in better shape than most athletes under the age of 30. I mean jesus, his fucking chest and stomach? How does he do that? His voice is *great* and I did see some attempts at screech and howls which came off well. Loved the recreation of the arched back pose from VH1 he pulled off halfway through the show.

Wolfie was great, although you do tend to forget he's up there. He is MOST DEFINITELY playing bass guitar. The vocals seemed to be his and Ed's, although they were buried at times. I'm sure they used a Harmonizer to fatten things up but so does everyone else. Ed should be proud of the kid. He's stepped up and done the impossible and it seems like he's starting to get more comfortable. That being said, it would have been great to have Mikey there.

Alex, you are the most consistent thing of this tour. I havent read a single review where you didn't blow everyone away. My friend who came along for the ride had never seen him play and thought Alex was king.

To the average person and non-diehard, the show was probably the best ever. I LOVED the show on the whole, but I didn't come out satisfied. I love this band still and often found myself smiling and feeling a little bittersweet with the knowledge that this may be the last time we see this band.

To come back to Eddie, I don't think we're getting the whole story. Something seems wrong with him. Before flaming, has anyone else noticed this? Is Van Halen Inc. telling us everything? I love that guy - you have to realize that. I just hope he's truly healthy.

Despite what I've said, go see this tour. Just temper your expectations. I have read FAR TOO MANY adoring reviews and it kind of got my anticipation too high. I'm as big a fan as any - I'm just calling it like I saw it, outside my personal bias.

The show is about as scripted as they come, down to the moment where Ed and Dave hug, but it did seem genuine. I'm so glad I got to see the show despite my misgivings.

Long live VH.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.18.07 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I Couldn't Agree More

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post
    Since there's only 4 reviews here does that mean everyone else felt the same as I did?

I was at the show Sunday night and had been waiting with huge anticipation to see this tour since I purchased the tickets in September. I was nearly center floor, 18th row. The seats were amazing. Sound was okay, better at times. My hearos cleared up a lot of the sound when I had them in.

So, let me preface by saying that I love this band, especially EVH. He's the reason I play guitar in the first place. I've seen the band a number of times (unfortunately my first time with Dave - my favorite of all the incarnations) and I've watched bootlegs, official videos, LWAN, to know when EVH is really cooking and on his game. I play guitar and have spent countless hours and days trying to mimic his licks and feel.

I know for some people this is going to be like trying to tell them that the Virgin Birth is a myth, but let me try.

His tone is not good. It's way overdriven and extremely brittle. When he rolls off the volume knob he has no dynamics. The brown sound of old (hell I'll even take processed RHRN over this) was organic and had presence. His tone now basically sucks and doesn't gel with the drums. The way his tone is now there is no room for error. No jape, no nothing. You can hear each time his gnarled fingers barely make a mistake.

We've all watched LWAN, seen the boots, seen him rip live. That guy isn't around anymore. There's something strange about the way he's playing. It's like he just can't do it like he used to. I'm not talking 80 percent. I'm saying 50 percent. He's always a half beat behind but seems like he's trying hard.

His solo was pure horseshit and it is the first time in history (even 2004) that I wanted for it to be over. Revisit the rolled off volume knob. . do any other guitar players feel like it sounds shitty when he does it now?

EVH used to be able to fall down the stairs and land on his feet. Now he falls down the stairs and lands on one knee at best.

He's smiling like hell and jumping around. Happy. I loved that. But long gone are the days of the fluid Ed who would just fucking knock you out with the things he'd do live. He used to be in control and the person I always watched. I found myself watching Dave and Al more than Ed. It was weird.

On to the great parts of the show. DLR is amazing. He has a true presence. The guy's in better shape than most athletes under the age of 30. I mean jesus, his fucking chest and stomach? How does he do that? His voice is *great* and I did see some attempts at screech and howls which came off well. Loved the recreation of the arched back pose from VH1 he pulled off halfway through the show.

Wolfie was great, although you do tend to forget he's up there. He is MOST DEFINITELY playing bass guitar. The vocals seemed to be his and Ed's, although they were buried at times. I'm sure they used a Harmonizer to fatten things up but so does everyone else. Ed should be proud of the kid. He's stepped up and done the impossible and it seems like he's starting to get more comfortable. That being said, it would have been great to have Mikey there.

Alex, you are the most consistent thing of this tour. I havent read a single review where you didn't blow everyone away. My friend who came along for the ride had never seen him play and thought Alex was king.

To the average person and non-diehard, the show was probably the best ever. I LOVED the show on the whole, but I didn't come out satisfied. I love this band still and often found myself smiling and feeling a little bittersweet with the knowledge that this may be the last time we see this band.

To come back to Eddie, I don't think we're getting the whole story. Something seems wrong with him. Before flaming, has anyone else noticed this? Is Van Halen Inc. telling us everything? I love that guy - you have to realize that. I just hope he's truly healthy.

Despite what I've said, go see this tour. Just temper your expectations. I have read FAR TOO MANY adoring reviews and it kind of got my anticipation too high. I'm as big a fan as any - I'm just calling it like I saw it, outside my personal bias.

The show is about as scripted as they come, down to the moment where Ed and Dave hug, but it did seem genuine. I'm so glad I got to see the show despite my misgivings.

Long live VH.
    Well....I couldn't agree more, JBR. I was at the San Jose show and I really can't add anything that you haven't already said. I think your review was dead on, regarding each member of the band. And I too have been a such a fan of this band over the years. Eddie has been such a musical inspiration.....that sick, warm, beautiful tone, man. Damn. I remember getting into Van Halen for the first time when I was in Junior High. I'd listen to Eddie's guitar and the hair on the back of my neck would just stand up, and I'd close my eyes and just soak it up and be completely mesmerized by it.

<sigh>

And, you're right....it's just not there anymore. Not the way it used to be, anyway. ...and in some instances, not even close (Cathedral was so sadly flat and lifeless Sunday night).

I too am so glad I got to see VH again with Dave (my first concert ever was seeing Van Halen with Dave on the '84 tour), though I did miss Mike....talk about cool cats. But, as you already mentioned....there's a bittersweetness to Van Halen '07. I was happy and sad all at the same time Sunday night.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.22.12 @ 10:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH- San Jose

VH came into town- literally flying in and going straight to the venue in time for soundcheck- and leaving immediately after Jump and doing the same in reverse. The crowd certainly had its share of interesting and/ or extremely drunk people. I saw numerous people getting ill which is not a plus. And the big gal next to us in the Catholic school girl outfit was not a bonus. We sat on the side literally next to the stage- the pros were the tix were $75 or so each, the cons were half price means half the view as that box was in the way. No big deal as we get one more show in Oakland. Jimmy DeGrasso was hanging out in the VH guest area, which was immediately below us. EVH came out a few times to stand there/ smoke/ etc. Here are some pics I took at the show-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07038.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07039.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07040.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07064.jpg EVH's little room to go into

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07060.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lenSJ07049.jpg

from our vantage point you could see the staff bring out Dave's next top hat that he would wear (they would put them on a chair behind the drum area), his acoustic guitar before ICM, etc... I agree with the show being staged down to every minute detail- that is the problem with having internet access these days- you know too much in advance, i.e. the setlist, etc. Regardless- the crowd sure was eating up the show. The cheers were loud in betwen songs, and I haven't seen that many air guitars in a while. The venue looked packed also.

Oakland is next.....
    Last edited by bret6262; 12.18.07 at 11:41 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.22.12 @ 10:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default and...

p.s.- that guy in the Santa hat that DLR spoke to/ of- he was a VH employee who was an assistant to the cameraman, as opposed to a fan in the crowd. Right after that quote from DLR- the guy walked out to the side stage area and took off the hat, walking with a guy who was filming various things on the side stage. Kind of odd as I thought it was a fan too- then they immediately walked out back to the side.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 17,107 Times in 8,420 Posts

Premium Member

Until I saw your pictures I did not know they have litte screens on the side stage that matched the Jumbotron image.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeffBeckRules View Post

Long live VH.
    It's reviews like these that make me glad I'm a not a musician. "Tone not `good' ?" "Overdriven?" what does that exactly mean? I don't want to know. To me this is a rock show, I don't want it to be perfect and I want some bum notes, loudness, things bordering on chaos...If there is a complaint, yes, the show is scripted, but VH has always been so dating back to the Roth I era! So that is nothing new. I think the real problem is we are all older, look at the audience, look at the band (minus wolfgang) it's just not the same and it NEVER will be. I saw the show in Sacramento and I was a bit underwhelmed and yes, disappointed. Then I hauled down to Fresno ( I already had tix) and was expecting another dull night, but the show was really good. I was also at San Jose and the show was good and I thought Ed played just fine...I was struck by some nice playing at the end of Unchained. I recorded the show (not the DIME source) and just listenened back to that part again and Ed plays really well. It may be a case of the new VH being an acquired taste.