Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default TC Electronics G-System vs G-Major

I'm looking to simplify my pedalboard so I don't have to do a tap dance with my stompboxes. I figured either G-System or G-Major might be a good addition to my setup while keeping a couple of key stompboxes like MXR Phase 90, MXR Flanger, and Bad Horsie wah. Does anyone have experience with either of these and is there a big difference between the 2 besides the price? I'm more interested in the delays, reverbs, chorus, and detune effects on these. Any help would be apperciated.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ideas

Have you ever thouht of rack mounting your effect units. The GCX by voodoolabs is nice.

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

They make a cool ground control midi switcher. This enables you to kick on any device or series of pedal. I have it and it works excellent.

The downside to the g-major is the tones. If you can sacrafice the sound of your sound alone devices go for it.

To me, it's hard to replace top of the line stand alone effects.

Are you primarily using the TC for time based effects? What pedals will this unit be replacing?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    Have you ever thouht of rack mounting your effect units. The GCX by voodoolabs is nice.

They make a cool ground control midi switcher. This enables you to kick on any device or series of pedal. I have it and it works excellent.

The downside to the g-major is the tones. If you can sacrafice the sound of your sound alone devices go for it.

To me, it's hard to replace top of the line stand alone effects.

Are you primarily using the TC for time based effects? What pedals will this unit be replacing?

I would be replacing a Visual Sound H20 chorus and echo, a Nick Greer Sonic Boom, and a Line 6 Reverb pedal. I would want a TC mainly for the Detune, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb....everything else with it would be a bonus. I'm also considering maybe a second chorus stompbox, a boss super shifter for the detune effect, and a second delay but by the time I do that I could probably buy a used g-major. I'm not too sure what I want to do. I have a new amp (Mako MAK2-makoplex version) coming this week to replace a Marshall DSL so I might keep my stompbox setup depending on the tone I get. The DSL with the effects is just too noisy for me right now and is driving me crazy. I had a H&K triamp that was dead quite with the effects but it was more amp than I needed so I'm temporaly using a DSL until I get my MAK2.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really rate the g-major, loads of features, great spill over when switching out of an echo or reverb, really useful at the end of a solo. Sound wise imo there's no sacrifice, I just can't fault it, especially for the price. I use it with the GC switcher system through a soldano... I'm as happy as a pig in shit with it

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ooops my bad

I was thinking this was one of those units with built in distortion. I heard one and was not impressed with the dirt tones. How do you rate this as far as the compression and reverb features. Please excuse my nagative comments guys. I know that unit is good on the time based stuff.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Not to hijack your thread, but I have the exact same question in mind. I was also looking at the G minor, but it doesn't have eq. I am real curious to hear other people's experience with any of the TC electronics stuff...I'd be running it in the loop of my 5150. Sorry guitarman, I'll go back and hide in the bushes and watch.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The g-major is great for delays and modulation effects, in fact it's probably one of the best at that price point.

I've heard that the g system is having problems with it and that it doesn't sound as good as the g-major
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for this link. I think this could really be something I would use.

I have the G-Major but haven't used it much yet. Originally I bought it for the detune effect; I found the delays and reverbs to be excellent. It isn't part of my live rig (still prefer the big heavy pedalbaord) but it will see some studio use soon. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer about it beyond that.