Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

06.02.08 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dave's Voice...

I am a Rothtard and biggest critic of Dave's voice. Dave's voice during 78-84 was defined by whiskey, cigarettes and pot. I noticed during Your Filthy Little Mouth that his voice was changing for the worst. I saw him in '94 on a club tour and felt sorry for him. The California Girls set on Jay Leno was embarissing. When Alex said after the '96 MTV fiasco that ..."the '96 dave is not the same as the "84 dave"..and that touring with him would be ripping off the fans, I agreed. 2001 Tour not to bad but it seemed that his band was "playing down" to his voice capabilities.

I have to say after seeing countless videos of the new tour plus seeing him in Seattle, I am impressed. Not Rob Halford but...it sounds great. And if you see the Tylers, Plants, Halfords, Neils today they are limited also...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by #5fairwarning View Post
    And if you see the Tylers, Plants, Halfords, Neils today they are limited also...
    One of these singers is not like the others, one of these singers is not the same....with apologies to Sesame Street.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tap1966 View Post
    One of these singers is not like the others, one of these singers is not the same....with apologies to Sesame Street.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was just talking about this same thing yesterday. I saw him in '94 too, and was kinda bummed regarding his voice. Man i dont know what he has been doing but its been a total turnaround. He's sounding great now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I agree

Dave sounds pretty good these day's!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saywin View Post
    Dave sounds pretty good these day's!
    Yes, he does. You can tell Dave's been working hard!

Little Dreamer Hot Dog and A Shake's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

UNCHAINED
    Last Online

05.13.08 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMHO, a combination of a healthy diet and training, Dave has been in "TOP" form vocally and pyshically in 2007.

He has really tried to make a lasting impression, (perhaps the last ?), and concentrating on the vocals more so than he has EVER done in the past, [Van Halen or solo efforts], as far as I am concerned ...

I applaud him, and am actually proud of him to be so precise and professional, yet still so damn electric as a performer as well.

ROTH ON ...
    I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Dave sounds awesome and better than most expected! Dave is a great singer. Not in the fashion of Plant or even Cherone or Hagar etc., even the guy from Tesla can out sing Dave range wise etc. Dave has like a Sinatra charisma /bluesman bite thing going in his delivery. It's not act or forced it's how he approaches singing. You can't underestimate charisma in how you sing and approach vocals. Sinatra for example, his style of music is very difficult to fake or force..you HAVE TO have charisma and special delivery to pull it off well. That's an area that Dave excels in(but in rock and roll Vh style) IMO and thats not the norm. It's really a treat to watch/listen to him in good form with Ed laying down the guitar.

That's something that made classic VH great, Dave great and this bitter sweet 3/4 reunion so powerful. Roth adds something special to this band. It's amazing to hear again especially live. I'm both happy to enjoy it again and proud of him for stepping up and killing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

DLR had no choice but to sound good. If he didn't, he was done, and in all likelihood VH and the tour would be done.

It would appear that working with a vocal coach paid off.

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

You guys must have heard a different version of the charlotte boot than I did...I thought he was, at best, below average. I'm a huge fan of Dave but left disappointed in his (and Eddie's) performance in Cleveland. Something just isn't right about Daves voice anymore. If you think age is a part of it then go check out Sting on the Police reunion tour (a real reunion that is)

As far as I'm concerend he's kinda butchering the classics. Same with Eddie. Listen to boots from the old days and listen to the '07 version. There's a huge difference.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    You guys must have heard a different version of the charlotte boot than I did...I thought he was, at best, below average. I'm a huge fan of Dave but left disappointed in his (and Eddie's) performance in Cleveland. Something just isn't right about Daves voice anymore. If you think age is a part of it then go check out Sting on the Police reunion tour (a real reunion that is)

As far as I'm concerend he's kinda butchering the classics. Same with Eddie. Listen to boots from the old days and listen to the '07 version. There's a huge difference.
    I sorta agree with you. I did see a clip on yourtube that was from early in the tour of Dave singing I'll Wait and he sounded pretty good, especially when he covered his ear. But the rest has pretty much sounded like Dave has since, i dunno, 1999? His voice is what it is. It'll never sound like it did all those years ago. My guess is the smoking damaged it. His voice certainly fits well into the bluesy kinda sound fine and Dave can sing that stuff perfectly. But his "rock star" voice is long gone and it ain't coming back. I saw this tour at MSG and he sounded more or less the same he's sounded for the last few years. There are moments when his voice seems to sound a little like it used to but that comes and goes really quick.

you just gotta take it for what it's worth. Don't expect The Voice to be The Voice of The Past.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tap1966 View Post
    man, that was the first thing that popped out...Neil's name just jumped out at me...

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by #5fairwarning View Post
    I have to say after seeing countless videos of the new tour plus seeing him in Seattle, I am impressed. Not Rob Halford but...it sounds great. And if you see the Tylers, Plants, Halfords, Neils today they are limited also...
    Not the Tyler. He's still as good as ever.
    Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 11,555 Times in 4,924 Posts

Dave sounds better than he has in a long time, but his voice is certainly limited. I think he understands that, but he still has struggles on certain songs. He seems to really struggle with "Little Guitars." for example.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenshoes View Post
    Not the Tyler. He's still as good as ever.
    Agreed. Tyler is as good or better than he was in the 70's.

Roth sounds a lot better now than he did a few years ago, but he can't hit any of the high stuff anymore. That's ok, he adjusts for it and it still sounds pretty good.

What a drag it is getting old