Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default The man behind "WHY ME?!, WHY ME!?, WHY ME?!", is dead...

PORTLAND, Ore. - Brian Sean Griffith, a former bodyguard to figure skater Tonya Harding who admitted a role in the attack on her rival Nancy Kerrigan during Olympics tryouts, has died. He was 40.

Griffith died Wednesday of what his doctor reported as natural causes, according to the Washington County medical examiner's office. The specific cause of death is expected to be listed when the doctor files a death certificate, which could take two weeks, the medical examiner's office said.

Formerly Shawn Eckardt, Griffith had changed his name since the attack in an attempt to put it behind him.

Griffith, of Beaverton, was Harding's bodyguard when the Portland-born skater competed for a spot on the U.S. Olympic figure skating team in 1994.

That January, an assailant clubbed Kerrigan in the knee, forcing her out of the competition. The International Committee of the U.S. Figure Skating Association granted Kerrigan a spot anyway, and she recovered in time to win a silver medal at the Olympics.

Days after the attack, Griffith confessed, detailing a plan that he and Harding's ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, had hatched. The investigation also eventually netted convictions of Shane Stant, the actual attacker, and Stant's uncle, Derrick Smith, who drove the getaway car.

Griffith was sentenced to 18 months in prison for racketeering but was released four months early, in September 1995.

He started a computer business, Applied Information Systems Inc., in 2001, but state records show it was dissolved in 2005. He was also sentenced to three years' probation for misdemeanor assault in 2001.

Family members refused Friday to comment on Griffith's life before or since the infamous attack.

"Shawn Eckardt died a long time ago," his brother, Mike Skinner, told The Oregonian. "There is no other person than Brian Griffith."

Harding has always said she didn't know of the plan. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy to hinder an investigation and was banned from U.S. Figure Skating Association competitions.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"natural causes" at 40???

If memory serves, he was as big as a Wal-Mart. More than likely he had himself a nice ol' heart attack.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wouldn't that fall under the category of "natural causes"? Maybe the coroner should instate a "lifestyle" category.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Odds are good the fat bastard dropped dead of a good ole heart attack.

It's pretty funny when you think a figure skating scandal was the biggest story going for a while. But how funny is that whole thing in hindsight? Tonya Harding orders a "hit" on the knee of her biggest rival and actually thought people wouldn't figure that one out in......oh.....about 5 minutes.

What a ridiculous threesome Harding, Gilooly, and Eckardt were.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    Wouldn't that fall under the category of "natural causes"? Maybe the coroner should instate a "lifestyle" category.
    Normally I would tend to agree if it not for the fact that every time I hear someone die of a heart attack, they specify it. "Natural Causes" seems to be reserved for the 90+ crowd.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't mean to be argumentative but here's one from the Indiana Gazette:

IUP student likely died of natural causes, coroner says
    Written by Indiana Gazette Staff
    Tuesday, 14 November 2006
    An autopsy Monday showed an Indiana University of Pennsylvania freshman likely died of natural causes related to an existing medical problem, the Indiana County Coroner's office reported.

Megan Peth, 19, of Renfrew, Butler County, was discovered dead by her roommate at about 8:30 a.m. Monday in her dormitory room in Esch Hall. Coroner Michael Baker estimated Peth died at about 2:30 a.m.

Baker withheld final rulings on the cause and manner of death until toxicology tests are completed, which are expected in 10 to 14 days. But he ruled out violence or criminal activity.
    "Based on what we know from the investigation right now, I have no clear reason to suspect that drugs or alcohol played a role," Baker said. "The word of those who were with Megan in the hours before she died seem to support that."

As well, didn't Pimp C, who was found dead in the Mondrian hotel recently also die of "natural causes."

Maybe it depends on what's natural?
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

ok
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Must've been in bad health to die at 40. I really don't remember much about him but it's too bad to die so young (yeah but it's young to me).
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    Normally I would tend to agree if it not for the fact that every time I hear someone die of a heart attack, they specify it. "Natural Causes" seems to be reserved for the 90+ crowd.

I know what you mean and I agree with you. The term "natural causes" just makes me think of that elderly person who's body just kind of gave up.

It's not wrong to say Eckardt died of natural causes, it's just not specific enough for a guy his age. Because of his age it leaves you wanting a more specific reason and more detail.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I know what you mean and I agree with you. The term "natural causes" just makes me think of that elderly person who's body just kind of gave up.

It's not wrong to say Eckardt died of natural causes, it's just not specific enough for a guy his age. Because of his age it leaves you wanting a more specific reason and more detail.
    Maybe its just me....but the idea of just up and dying at 40 doesnt sound very 'natural' at all. Odd use of the term.

50 bucks on the heart attack. Anyone want this action?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Nancy Kerrigan's father is dead, and brother is arrested...

WOBURN, Massachusetts (CBS) Nancy Kerrigan's brother, Mark Kerrigan, has had a turbulent history with his parents, and was once sued by them for $105,000 in 2008, according to the Boston Herold.

Kerrigan owed his parents $105,000 they spent paying his mortgage, caring for his dogs, and for old lawyers fees, according to old court papers.

The case was ultimately dismissed.

An unemployed plumber, Mark Kerrigan, 45, was charged with assaulting his 70-year-old father, who died over the weekend after a disturbance at the family's Massachusetts home.

He pleaded not guilty and was ordered held on $10,000 cash bail after his arraignment Monday in Woburn District Court.

A police report said officers responding to a 911 call at 1:30 a.m. Sunday found Daniel Kerrigan lying on the floor unconscious. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead. An autopsy was planned.

The report said Mark Kerrigan was found on a couch in the basement of the home in the middle-class Boston suburb of Stoneham and was "belligerent and combative" when questioned. Officers used pepper spray to subdue him and eventually arrested him.

Defense attorney Denise Moore said her client, an Army veteran who had served overseas, was on medication for post-traumatic stress syndrome and was seeing a psychiatrist.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    "natural causes" at 40???

If memory serves, he was as big as a Wal-Mart. More than likely he had himself a nice ol' heart attack.

Gulttoney is a Bitch...it ain't one of the seven deadly sins for nothin'
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

When I was leaving the ER tonight, Shreveport Fire brought in a 33 year old male, who just dropped dead in the back seat of a car. This guy had zero medical history. Friends state he was in the back seat, laughing at something, started coughing and was gone..........just like that.

They worked this guy for about 15 minutes in the ER, plus the 15-20 minutes the SFD paramedics worked him prior to his arrival in the ER, 4 rounds of cardiac drugs and no results.

I chalk it up to, "When it's your time, it's your time......"

HH<----Grim Reaper ain't prejudice--------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Nancy Kerrigan's father is dead, and brother is arrested...

WOBURN, Massachusetts (CBS)
    Ahem - WOBURN is where the court is. STONEHAM, MA is where the Kerrigans lived and where this happened. Woburn has enough shit to deal with in its past (A Civil Action, anyone?), doesn't need THIS...

Crazy situation. Sad, too. My wife's family is from Stoneham, they somewhat knew them. Crazy shit.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

WOBURN, Mass. The brother of figure skater Nancy Kerrigan's has been jailed after failing required alcohol screenings while awaiting trial on charges he killed his father.

Mark Kerrigan had been free on $25,000 bail after pleading not guilty to manslaughter last year. A judge revoked Kerrigan's bail Monday after prosecutors said he failed four breath tests Saturday. The readings were below the legal limit.

His lawyer said Kerrigan told her that he took cough syrup for a cold. The judge said he would hold a new hearing if the defense could show Kerrigan had taken only medicine.

Prosecutors say 70-year-old Daniel Kerrigan died after a fight with his son, who had been drinking. Kerrigan's lawyer and family say Daniel Kerrigan had a heart condition and his son was not responsible for his death.