Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?

WASHINGTON Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

The article, to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, says Huckabee asked the question after saying he believes Mormonism is a religion but doesn't know much about it. His rival Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is a member of the Mormon church, which is known officially as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The authoritative Encyclopedia of Mormonism, published in 1992, does not refer to Jesus and Satan as brothers. It speaks of Jesus as the son of God and of Satan as a fallen angel, which is a Biblical account.

A spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Huckabee's question is usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith rather than clarify doctrine.

"We believe, as other Christians believe and as Paul wrote, that God is the father of all," said the spokeswoman, Kim Farah. "That means that all beings were created by God and are his spirit children. Christ, on the other hand, was the only begotten in the flesh and we worship him as the son of God and the savior of mankind. Satan is the exact opposite of who Christ is and what he stands for."

Romney spokesman Kevin Madden said Romney will not debate candidates on their faith or question their faith.

"For those who want to know how Governor Romney's faith informs his values, they can look at how he lives his life and how he has raised his family," Madden said.

Earlier this month in Iowa, Huckabee wouldn't say whether he thought Mormonism rival Romney's religion was a cult.

"I'm just not going to go off into evaluating other people's doctrines and faiths. I think that is absolutely not a role for a president," the former Arkansas governor said.

While he said he respects "anybody who practices his faith," Huckabee said that what other people believe he named Republican rivals Romney, John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton "is theirs to explain, not mine, and I'm not going to."

He also resisted wading into theology when pressed to explain why some evangelicals don't view the Mormon faith as a Christian denomination.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read the article but things are getting interesting in Iowa.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I worked with a Mormon person, and they loved Jesus.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 2,235 Times in 1,128 Posts

Premium Member

This is stupid.

Catholics have just as strange views as Mormons--it's only because they aren't your own that someone sees them as strange. If you take any Christian religion--or any religion for that matter--there are some strange concepts that require you to suspend disbelief. Mary was a virgin? Jesus woke up three days after dying? The communion host transubstantiates into Jesus' body and blood?

Who's to say what Mormons believe is wrong? Maybe they should concentrate more on Mitt Romney's policies and less and his religion. Afterall, it is his policies that would impact the nation, not whether or not Joseph Smith actually found real golden tablets.

I just lost a little respect for Mike Huckabee.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is stupid.

Catholics have just as strange views as Mormons--it's only because they aren't your own that someone sees them as strange. If you take any Christian religion--or any religion for that matter--there are some strange concepts that require you to suspend disbelief. Mary was a virgin? Jesus woke up three days after dying? The communion host transubstantiates into Jesus' body and blood?

Who's to say what Mormons believe is wrong? Maybe they should concentrate more on Mitt Romney's policies and less and his religion. Afterall, it is his policies that would impact the nation, not whether or not Joseph Smith actually found real golden tablets.

I just lost a little respect for Mike Huckabee.
    Catholicism has a deep historical background to protect it. Mormons base their entire belief system on a guy who had a dream a hundred years ago, who's to say what the difference is? Either way this guy is an asshole.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

K, I'm a registered Republican, a devout Christian and have a boatload of Mormons within my family.

I'm just going to be blunt, I do not want Romney in the White House, will never vote for him, I've met him and Mormonism does NOT belong within that position of power.

Anyhoo and if anyone wants to go down the religious road regarding Mormonism versus Christianity, I'll be more than happy to point out all of the differences. They aren't even close.

Anyhoo, the Mormon aspect isn't even why I'm so Anti-Romney at all. I don't trust a guy who doesn't give a shit about his own dog. If he cannot properly care for a pup, then how could/can anyone think he could manage this country?

Fine, he's well spoken, etc and charming in person but he's a pud.

Trust me.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Sounds like you're pretty anti-mormon. What religion does belong in that "kind of power?" He is not making his religion an issue, others are. Yes it guides his principles but he's not out to convert anyone.

I don't think someone that doesn't believe in Evolution (Huckabee) should be in that kind of power because it shows he clearly does not have reasoning skills. When you place religion over science when determining what is correct science, you are a dumb hillbilly. Evolution does not kill God, but "Intelligent Design" ,or whatever they try package Biblical Creationism in these days, kills science.

Mormonism is Christian. Christianity means to believe in Jesus being the Christ. Yes, I think their beliefs beyond that are a little haywire, but who am I to judge? I have met many different mormons in my life and every time they comes across as good, God-fearing, and family oriented. As they say: "They will know we are Christians by our love."

To not vote for someone based on their religion is as narrowminded as not voting for someone based on race or gender. We are the most diverse country in the world, yet we still have issues with people being "different" than we are. If you don't want to vote for him because you don't like his stance on issues, that is fine. If you don't vote for someone based on race, gender, or religion, you are doing yourself and your country a disservice.

As far as the dog thing, I have no idea what you are talking about, but it must be heinous for you to be against him so much. Did he pull a Mike Vick or something?

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Evolution does not kill God, but "Intelligent Design" ,or whatever they try package Biblical Creationism in these days, kills science.
    What??

Sorry, but that's offensively absurd, at least the way it was stated (hill billy remark aside). Science to me is the study of the less obvious way God created things. The motors and design behind it. Science is fascinating. God doesn't kill science, he created things that requires science to figure out.

I've never understood why creationism and evolution can't be on the same plain. Anybody can see and understand that the bare matter required for evolution had to initially be created somehow and anybody can understand that that which has been created can also evolve. This polarity is perplexing.

Mormonism is Christian.
    Careful. No, it is most decidedly not. Its much more Joseph Smithism than it is Christianity by FAR. Smith and Young hold the trump card over Jesus in that gig.....that's not Christianity.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ou812max View Post

Anyhoo and if anyone wants to go down the religious road regarding Mormonism versus Christianity, I'll be more than happy to point out all of the differences. They aren't even close.
    I was in the Mormon church for 15 years. They hold the basic belief that Christ is the Son of God and died for them. Mormons are Christians, dude.

I'm curious to hear the differences...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Careful. No, it is most decidedly not. Its much more Joseph Smithism than it is Christianity by FAR. Smith and Young hold the trump card over Jesus in that gig.....that's not Christianity.
    Well, define Christianity then...

Obviously, if you don't buy Joesph Smith's story, Mormonism doesn't hold true. But I'm pretty sure when I went to Sunday School, they were NOT preaching the word of Joseph Smith over the belief that Christ died for our sins.

This doesn't mean that Joseph Smith's vision was not prevalent, but it didn't trump the basic Christian belief.

I left the church because I ultimately felt Joseph Smith was full of shit. But the definition of Christianity to me is the belief that Christ came from Heaven to Earth so we could go from Earth to Heaven. Mormons believe it, therefore they are Christian.

And following The Word of Wisdom was a bitch also....
    Last edited by HippieLettuce; 12.12.07 at 02:07 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Let me restate that then so I can be little more clear:

Creationism does not allow for evolution despite there being overwhelming evidence to support the theory. Evolution does not eliminate the possibility of God for the exact reason you stated. That's all I'm saying (and I think we are in agreement). If someone really believes that the earth as we see it now was created in 7 days, they are a dumb hillbilly. I'll stand by that comment.

Personally, I think there is a God, and that God created the process of Evolution by creating life in the first place. Huckabee does not believe in Evolution, which strikes me as more disturbing than what anyone believes about Joseph Smith.

In Mormonism, Jesus is the savior, Joseph Smith is a prophet, so Jesus wins in importance.

Who cares what Romney's religion is, anyways? Shouldn't they be more worried about the real issues?
    Last edited by bsbll4; 12.12.07 at 02:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every denomination of Christianity has its differences, be it communion and whether or not the wine & wafer is the actual body & blood of Christ, or whether or not good deeds lead to salvation. Some will say it is only God's grace through faith which brings eternal life.

This argument is not one which can be won as there are so many interprations. Anyway, religious affiliation, while important to me, does not ultimately determine who will receive my vote next February.

If there was only a good LCMS candidate running....

Last Online

02.02.12 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am LDS (Mormon), and I am a Christian.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by knarfO View Post
    I am LDS (Mormon), and I am a Christian.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
    Are you going to be a God yourself someday?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

02.02.12 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Are you going to be a God yourself someday?
    Probably not... but it doesn't stop me from trying.