Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Anyone trying to get healthy or lose some weight?

I've been struggling with weight and general wellness for the past couple of years...I'm not crazy fat or crazy unhealthy but I'm definitely in a situation where I need to lose weight...probably about 50 pounds to get me back to my ideal weight.

I was hitting the gym every day and eating right and really enjoying everything but then my gigging schedule picked up, had to travel out of town a few times and lost some momentum there. Then my migraines came back and that kept me on the shelf for a while and then I had the flu and before I knew it happened, all the weight I lost came back and all the bad habits I broke were back.

Now I want to get back into the swing of things and I was wondering if anyone else is interested in perhaps partnering up or using this thread to share results, confess mistakes, and for general accountability. You know what I mean?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

I've never had a weight problem. I work out to look and feel in shape and to deal with stress. But I've gone off the "program" so to speak a few times. The only thing you can do is get back on that horse and get into a routine again.
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    I've never had a weight problem. I work out to look and feel in shape and to deal with stress. But I've gone off the "program" so to speak a few times. The only thing you can do is get back on that horse and get into a routine again.
    i really enjoy the stress management aspect of working out....really helps to provide a general sense of calmness and an ability to tackle the day...

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i really enjoy the stress management aspect of working out....really helps to provide a general sense of calmness and an ability to tackle the day...
    It's a life saver for me. I had an ulcer a few years ago, and I feel I have to work out to prevent another one. Plus I go in the morning, and it gives me a huge jolt for the rest of the day
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    It's a life saver for me. I had an ulcer a few years ago, and I feel I have to work out to prevent another one. Plus I go in the morning, and it gives me a huge jolt for the rest of the day
    that's when I like to go too...really sets the table for the rest of the day...

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

im thinking jenny craig , like val did. seriously, i need to start going to the gym and eating healthier this yr.first step is always the hardest.
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance, ADKOFT
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, As Is
    Last Online

03.30.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now I want to get back into the swing of things and I was wondering if anyone else is interested in perhaps partnering up or using this thread to share results, confess mistakes, and for general accountability. You know what I mean?[/QUOTE]

Thats crazy that you started this thread. I am totally up for that. I just recently decided to get myself back into shape. Lets do it.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

It's funny, I've always had a problem keeping my weight up. Weights are not a great idea for me, back trouble, but I find just being active and postive mentally gets my body into better shape.

I'll say this though. I know the US is the fattest nation on earth, followed very closely now by the UK, and the few things i noticed on my trips to the US (California to be exact) were....

Nobody, but nobody walks anywhere. Especially in LA where my father lived until recently. They say that 30 minutes of brisk walking a day does wonders.

The size of the portions in restaurants is, quite literally, double what I see in Europe.

The food itself is incredibly fatty. I don't know the fat content limits in America but I know it is far higher than anywhere else. there always seems to be more meat/chips etc on a plate than vegetables.

I saw a guy in an all you can eat place put away so much steak that I swear I could have thrown a party for me and a few friends with it.

We Brits, as a nation are getting pretty bad too and I think it's for a lot of the same reasons. Kids getting diabetes before they are teens etc. Predictions are that a lot of pre-teens now might die before their parents.

Scary stuff.

Not having a dig at anyone here. I think this is a cultural thing where you have a small percentage of fit, healthy people and the vast majority of us who are overweight, underweight, unfit and decidely unhealthy in their habits.

I cut coffee out about a week ago and already feel a big difference. I have more energy, which seems very strange.

Anyway, good luck in your quest. I'll be joining in.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallVH5150 View Post
    Thats crazy that you started this thread. I am totally up for that. I just recently decided to get myself back into shape. Lets do it.
    awesome!!

how do you want to do it? I was thinking we could post our goals for the day every morning and then check in at the end of the day and celebrate or confess depending on how things played out...

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Eating right and exercising are the keys. I walk to and from the lightrail I take each day to and from work. I could drive, but I like the exercise. Also don't forget, weight training does increase your metabolism. I recommend more fish and less meat too

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

cardio cardio cardio at least 5 days a week, watch your carb intake but dont cut them out altogether.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

I'm currently trying to lose some serious weight...I'm about 230 now I wanna get down to 200....

Currently eating 5 meals a day..I've been reading Men's Health and stuff like that...doing weights every other day as well....still not enough but its a start...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm in. Went from 275 all the way to 240 about two years ago, just by my eating habits. Back up to about 255-260 now. Had been going to the gym at least twice a week for most of this year, got it up to 3X for a couple of months, but then hurt my back and shoulder, and then got a bad cold, and haven't been for about 5-6 weeks now.

Can't go in the AM unless I wake up obscenely early and go before my wife and kids get up, which doesn't work for me since I work until 7 or 8pm, and go to bed late. PM is tough due to the work schedule, I'd like to see same wife and at least one of my kids before bed. I'd been taking 2 hour lunches and doing it then. MUST get back to that, shoulder is better, back won't GET better until I get back to stretching and strengthening my abs in the gym. Taking 2 hour lunches 3X a week isn't easy though. Well, we'll see, got to get back into it.

Ultimate goal is to get under 250 and back on the basketball court, haven't played due to knee and achilles tendinitis in about 3 years. If I can get on a regular stretching routine and get the weight down, and be smart about playing, might be okay.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've dropped 25 pounds since spring, but I haven't put forth the physical effort to lose the 50 I wanted to drop over the summer. So in essence, I've improved the diet but not the activity. My Dad always said I was half-assed.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well...everyone who is interested, come up with your ultimate goal, whether it's not be hitting the gym 3x a week, losing 50 pounds, getting onto a basketball court etc...

Then, let's hash out your plan and then post that plan as a committment piece and that way the rest of us can help support and encourage you but also help keep you accountable.

I'll go first...I've been dancing around the whole thing for months not wanting to put a real goal out because I knew I'd never hold to it. I WILL go to the gym tomorrow morning. I WILL face the frustration over having to explain to everyone why it's been so long and I WILL begin the process over again. That's the biggest step for me. I feel embarassed about falling off my routine and having to look at all the healthy people and say "yeah, well...this that and that me from doing it" when the bottom line is that it doesnt matter what excuses I come up with...it's not them I need to worry about, it's me and I've been cheating myself since the summer.

So anyway...feel free to lash out at me big time if tomorrow rolls around and I avoid posting in this thread! I will go to the gym tomorrow. When I get back, I'll put out my intentions for keeping a schedule the rest of the way but right now i need to focus on the first big step.