Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Help! I think I need to re-think my strings!!

Hey!
    So, recently, I Re-acquired my old creme colored Wolfgang Special. STILL in great shape! Anyways, I needed to replace the strings, so I slapped on DR's, blues (they're nickel strings). Now, maybe its just me, but I haven't played my Wolfie in like 2 years. I plug in, get it all tuned up, and I'll be damned if it doesn't have a country flavor to it (at least that what my ears hear). Weird. Being I put those strings on, I tend to wonder if I need to look to another set of strings...usually, I stick with Fender 150XL's (.009-.042)...any suggestions? Thanks guys!-Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Check the setup; make sure the neck is straight, the Floyd is flat and even with the body, and the nut is sitting in the correct place.

I use GHS or D'Addario custom lights (9-46) on my Wolfs, and they work very well.

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've used Dean Markley strings for 25 years. Good punch w/o the twang.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i tend to use ghs boomer's on my wolfies on my other guitars i use either, ernie ball super slinky's(on my strats mainly) and on my gibsons i use dean markley blue steel's.
    i would tend to agree with A.T. with his suggestion to check the setup if the guitar doesnt sound right, also check all the solder joints on the pots, pickups etc, its possible that over time they have become "dry" its a simple case of re-soldering them. also get some switch cleaner and give all the contacts a good clean...while you're at it you may aswell give the whole guitar a good service....clean, polish and setup.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to use GHS Boomers..then I went to Daddario most recently Ernie Balls...then my buddy turned me on to Cleartones...I'll never use another string. They are awesome. check 'em out. They're relatively new on the market. They cost around the same as elixir, which I've never liked for acoustic or electric but cleartones are THE string.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I used to use GHS Boomers..then I went to Daddario most recently Ernie Balls...then my buddy turned me on to Cleartones...I'll never use another string. They are awesome. check 'em out. They're relatively new on the market. They cost around the same as elixir, which I've never liked for acoustic or electric but cleartones are THE string.
    Right on. I've been using Cleartones for about a year now and love 'em. They're not cheap, but they last a lot longer than the average string and sound great.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Right on. I've been using Cleartones for about a year now and love 'em. They're not cheap, but they last a lot longer than the average string and sound great.
    yeah I always stayed away from Elixirs because the coating makes them slippery and they sound shitty. I also hate how the coating sort of flakes/rubs off as it deteriorates. I've just never gotten into the whole Elixir craze. It was great marketting on their part having Taylor string everything at the factory with them because it gave them a very ultra premium and very classy vibe and yeah, an elixir strung Taylor is the sound of acoustic guitar right now but that's why I don't like the sound of acoustic guitar right now. Their electric guitar strings are completely worthless.

Cleartone has figured out a way to not only make the string last longer but to make the strings SOUND BETTER LONGER without the gooey coating. For me, a set of Ernie Balls would give me about 3 weeks TOPS of what I consider good playing time and when I'm playing out a lot and really concerned about having the best feel and tone, that shrinks to no more than 2 weeks. And it's not the first two weeks either. There's a break in period of about 3-4 days. Cleartones are the first string I've ever used that, right out of the pack, sound awesome and I shit you not, I've had them on there for over a month and they still sound and feel great. I'll restring next week sometime before my big new years gig and that will be almost two months of having them on there and still enjoying the sound and feel. No rust or decay on the unwound strings and no flatness of tone.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yeah I always stayed away from Elixirs because the coating makes them slippery and they sound shitty. I also hate how the coating sort of flakes/rubs off as it deteriorates. I've just never gotten into the whole Elixir craze. It was great marketting on their part having Taylor string everything at the factory with them because it gave them a very ultra premium and very classy vibe and yeah, an elixir strung Taylor is the sound of acoustic guitar right now but that's why I don't like the sound of acoustic guitar right now. Their electric guitar strings are completely worthless.

Cleartone has figured out a way to not only make the string last longer but to make the strings SOUND BETTER LONGER without the gooey coating. For me, a set of Ernie Balls would give me about 3 weeks TOPS of what I consider good playing time and when I'm playing out a lot and really concerned about having the best feel and tone, that shrinks to no more than 2 weeks. And it's not the first two weeks either. There's a break in period of about 3-4 days. Cleartones are the first string I've ever used that, right out of the pack, sound awesome and I shit you not, I've had them on there for over a month and they still sound and feel great. I'll restring next week sometime before my big new years gig and that will be almost two months of having them on there and still enjoying the sound and feel. No rust or decay on the unwound strings and no flatness of tone.

2-3 weeks!!
    mine are usually dead after a week...lol
    saying that i found the dean markley blue steel strings last for quite some time, they're cryogenicaly frozen before they're packaged (apparently) and this seems to make them last longer...they do sound better for longer, but i do change them just as regularly, mainly out of habbit is guess.
    i dont think we can get cleartones in the u.k. right now, but if i do see some i'll give them a look, has anyone tried sfarzo strings?...from what ive been told they're good too
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Man, I can't be reading too much about you guys' string habits or I'm bound to start caring a lot again.

When I was 18-19 and in college (practicing like six hours a day), I'd change my strings every five days. If it went any longer I'd get super annoyed at their "deadness."

Nowadays I change strings on each guitar no more than four times a year and sometimes only twice. Granted, I don't play every guitar every day (sometimes the intervals are quite long in fact), but after about a week of being on they reach a certain point of "predictable" that I like--and they're usually in that zone for a couple of months.

While not terribly picky about brand, I can't fucking stand Ernie Ball strings. I went through a phase a little more than a year ago where I tried different brands of strings to see what else was out there. EBs immediately seemed overly bright, "poppy," lacking any kind of low-mid sustain, and they never got better. The two sets I tried didn't end up staying on their respective guitars very long.