Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Frankenstein Original Neck had a Locking Nut

Check this out! Doing a little more research and I noticed in this picture Ed has the original Franky Neck hanging below the Bumblebee. There is a locking nut shelf and the mounting holes for the nut on it.

I don't recall seeing it with this neck with a Floyd, but apparently at some point it did.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man I've never seen that picture before in my life...that's killer, I dont know that I've seen the bumblebee with a floyd in on either...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the bumblebee was the guitar used for the first floyd proto. are you sure thats the original neck. cant tell cause you cant see the gibson logo he put on it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Really hard to tell from the pic. The locking nut was probably added at a later time as the Floyd was being developed. The original Frankie neck never had a locking nut. Eddie has gone into great detail about how he kept that guitar in tune without the locking nut. It would make sense though that as Eddie explored the Floyd system that he would have tried it out on Frankie

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanLaing5150 View Post
    man I've never seen that picture before in my life...that's killer, I dont know that I've seen the bumblebee with a floyd in on either...
    Yeah, that's a new pic for me too. I'm pretty sure I've seen the B-bee with a Floyd on it in some pics before though. I'll do some investigating and see what i come up with.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    Yeah, that's a new pic for me too. I'm pretty sure I've seen the B-bee with a Floyd on it in some pics before though. I'll do some investigating and see what i come up with.

Here's a B/W pic from apparently that same photo shoot:

Here's one from a similar time, but different shoot. Note the different shoes:

(and tha's not a Strat and that's not an '85 Les Paul, considering the pic was taken in or around 1980 )

And here's the one I was looking for. I though I rembered the Bumble bee with a Floyd in this pic. Yep.

THe only thing I'm not certain on is if that's the true original frankie neck in the pic you had at first. It looks too clean. In pics I've seen, particularly in this one and the one from the recording sessions of VH II(pre-Floyd), it's really dirty-looking.
    Last edited by jimmyw; 12.09.07 at 07:21 PM.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

That's the same neck. The cigarette burn at the first fret is the identifying feature.
    The neck only looks clean because of photo-flash "washout"...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The flash washout and the removal of the material at the nut to make the shelf for the locking nut removed the stains from the 3 in 1 oil. The cig burn between the nut and 1st fret is the real identifier. Even if Ed did go into detail about keeping it in tune with the brass nut that doesn't mean he didn't mod it to allow for his newest and most used piece of hardware... the Floyd.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    The original Frankie neck never had a locking nut.
    Correct my friend! Look at the '78 photo's in Zols new book, NO locking nut......
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It may have never made it back on the guitar. It's the same neck though. I think Ed might have messed it up when trying to put a locking nut on it. The cigarette burn or "chip" between the nut and 1st fret make it the same neck.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cracked

The neck was broken when Ed jumped off of the drum riser. It's a shame he never fixed that neck because it was a piece of history.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So I guess the mark between the nut and the first fret that was on the original was done exactly like it on the neck in the picture? Exactly?
    Divebomb, Inc.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.10.10 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it seems inconclusive. a big leap from one photo. not an expert here, but a photo of a guitar neck from an owner that smokes constantly? one thing i know for sure is that he showed no prejudice regarding guitar necks he placed burning cigs on between riffs!!!
    in my world there are only 3 guitar heroes; eddie, eric j., and S.R.V.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One little fucking dot and that's the smoking gun? Whether Ed had the original VH1 neck shelved out for a locking nut or not - who's to say. He's had so many fucking necks on that guitar throughout those years its crazy. There is no sane reason NOT to believe that he didn't use a vintage tremolo on that guitar up until about 1984 sessions. The tone is there man.

Not to say he didn't record with a Floyd before then, but his reasons for using a vintage tremolo up until then are entirely plausible - if not indubitable. If any of this post is relegated toward discrediting Ed's impeccable use of a vintage tremolo during those years, I call horseshit.

If this post is however, just a normally recurring obsession harbored by all of us, well - its not breaking news. I cannot think of one greater technician, musician or innovator that imparted that much control, tone, and imagination with just a vintage tremolo.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Guys, here is my take on the progression of Frankie and the bumblebee from all the pics in the new pic book...

Original Frankie had the 70s Fender headstock neck for a long time with just a regular nut (no locking nut).

The bumblebee had a regular nut for a period of time....with the black headstock.

Then Ed takes the black headstock neck off of the bumblebee and puts on a new neck with a locking nut for bumblebee. This new neck is a fender style headstock but a newer style (squared off)

He then places the black headstock neck on the snake guitar. See picture with Axe below. This is the same black headstock neck with black tape over the charvel logo.

He then takes the black headstock off of the snake guitar and puts it on Frankie still with a regular nut. Then he puts a locking nut on the black headstock on Frankie.

(perhaps before or at the same time) He at some point takes the 70s style fender neck and routes it for a locking nut but for some reason...he never puts it on the guitar for a show or pictures.

He then switches the necks on the bumblebee with the neck from Frankie and now Frankie has the squared off Fender style headstock neck with a locking nut and bumblebee has the black headstock back on.

I know the black headstock is the same neck from the charvel because there is a picture in the book that shows him playing at a show and you can see the black tape over the charvel logo (on frankie).

Speaking of nuts...I am nuts for even wanting to keep track of this shit!