Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default girls' hockey coach charged with having sex with a player

A thorough criminal background check should have derailed the application of an assistant hockey coach later charged with having sex with a female team member, Robbinsdale schools Superintendent Stan Mack said Friday.

Nathan Paul Antrim, 35, of Rogers was charged Friday with third-degree criminal sexual conduct in Hennepin County District Court. The complaint alleges Antrim, who was removed from his position Thursday, had consensual intercourse last weekend with a 16-year-old player at Cooper High School.

Like other coaches in the Robbinsdale district, Antrim was screened by the district's human resources office before he was hired for the Hawks girls' hockey team in October 2006, school officials said.

The human resources office normally screens for felonies and crimes involving inappropriate relationships with children or adolescents, Mack said Friday.

Even with the absence of those red flags, Mack said Antrim's police record -- which the superintendent confirmed includes driving without a license and violation of a restraining order, as well as bookings on several other offenses, including theft, all misdemeanors -- would have given him pause.

"I think if I would have been making the ruling on that individual based on what I've read I would not have approved his employ," he said, adding that Antrim's long history as a youth hockey coach may have factored into his hiring. Mack said that in the future, screeners should scrutinize applicants' misdemeanor records more closely, even when the applicants are applying for part-time positions and have experience in youth sports.

The charges

Antrim told police that he had sex with the girl, according to a criminal complaint. He also said that he had given her an iPod and a cell phone and that he had sent her suggestive text messages.

The girl told police that Antrim gave her the gifts, that he often drove her home from practice and that she had lied about her whereabouts last weekend, when she had stayed with Antrim at his house.

The situation came to light Monday, when the girl's father told Cooper High School officials that his daughter had not come home over the weekend and that he suspected she had been with Antrim.

The Star Tribune generally does not identify sexual-assault victims.

New Hope police, investigating the case, concluded that the sexual activity was limited to the single weekend and that Antrim was sexually involved with only one player.

Antrim was arrested Thursday and remained in custody Friday night in the Hennepin County jail.

Girls' hockey head coach Chris Johnson and Principal Mike Favor declined to comment Friday. A message to Cooper Athletic Director John Oelfke was not returned.

Many parents also declined to comment or did not return a reporter's calls.

"I understand that a large number of the girls on the team are in denial that this individual would do such a thing,'' Mack said. "But they are in denial because they knew this individual for so long.''

One player's mother said she didn't know much about the charges, but she commended school officials on acting quickly once the information came out.

The mother said she knew nothing about Antrim's criminal history. "I know my daughter, and I know she talks to us,'' she said. "And I feel comfortable with how the school has handled this."

Tim Morris, the head girls' hockey coach at Eden Prairie High School, said he never sees applicants' criminal reports.

"Every school district has their own standards for hiring and firing," he said. "And I would like to think that the school district I work in would certainly have taken a second look at someone who would have a record like that."

In any case, he has a rule that no coach ever has one-to-one contact with a player; either another player or another coach has to be in the room at all times.

"We don't meet in private with a kid, period," he said. "Every time something like this happens it hurts all coaches. It's one of those things you hate to hear about."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

A 35 year old man would not go there. A 35 year old boy might.

Hey, at least they're not running off to get married.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

It always amazes me that people think they can get away with this shit. Did he really think it wouldn't get out? Always just a matter of time.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.12.07 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was on this team and am in the picture. I know him and the girl very well and all it was was two people making one bad decision.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by gamer193 View Post
    I was on this team and am in the picture. I know him and the girl very well and all it was was two people making one bad decision.
    You joined VHLINKS just to tell us this?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    It always amazes me that people think they can get away with this shit. Did he really think it wouldn't get out? Always just a matter of time.
    No one ever said people were smart.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamer193 View Post
    More likely, it was one adult making an incredibly bad decision and one teenager who didn't know any better.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    No one ever said people were smart.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K, MIB

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

"What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Wonder what her preferred position is?

On the hockey team, that is...

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Getting checked from behind. Sort of puts new meaning to the term "penalty box" huh?
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 12.12.07 at 03:03 PM.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    More likely, it was one adult making an incredibly bad decision and one teenager who didn't know any better.
    oh please...if you don't think a 16 year is of sound enough mind to decide if she wants to put out you're kidding yourself. Should the 35 year old guy refrained? Probably so...what with the obvious legal and societal issues involved but the majority of 16 year old kids are not naive children that can be manipulated into doing whatever...many of them are more than willing to get it on...give me a break...and again, if it were a 16 year old dude hitting it with a milfy coach, everyone would be giving him a high five.

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

On the hockey team, that is...
    that's fucking funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Getting checked from behind. Sort of puts new meaning to the term "penalty box" huh?
    hahaha...that's even funnier!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

"penalty box"

fucking shit, that's the funniest thing I've read all day...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    oh please...if you don't think a 16 year is of sound enough mind to decide if she wants to put out you're kidding yourself. Should the 35 year old guy refrained? Probably so...what with the obvious legal and societal issues involved but the majority of 16 year old kids are not naive children that can be manipulated into doing whatever...many of them are more than willing to get it on...give me a break...and again, if it were a 16 year old dude hitting it with a milfy coach, everyone would be giving him a
    Its not a question of wanting to "put out". Its a question of understanding the consequences. Whether they are naive/manipulatable is relative to their history and some will be wiser than others but, at 16, they're perception of consequences is quite likely to be underdeveloped.

And your probably right about the double standard but it would be no less justifiable.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Its not a question of wanting to "put out". Its a question of understanding the consequences. Whether they are naive/manipulatable is relative to their history and some will be wiser than others but, at 16, they're perception of consequences is quite likely to be underdeveloped.

And your probably right about the double standard but it would be no less justifiable.
    Given the amount of media coverage these scandals have received, it is questionable as to the extent of her perception of consequences.