Register
    Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Ed's Tone and the VH Sound on this tour...

I just saw Ozzy and Rob Zombie the other night and THANK GOD Eddie is a stickler for perfection.
    The Zombie show sounded ok...not great, but not bad. It was just hard to tell what was piped in and what was really being played...but the theatrics...wow.

Ozzy....what a mess. That was the worst balance of sound I think I have ever heard...and that's a shame, cause the band is really good and COULD have sounded better.
    Which brings me to VH.

It's loud and it sounds AWESOME compared to Ozzy the other night and a few other shows I have seen recently to compare to.
    You don't realize how good the band sound and mix is and Eddie's sound until you sit back at another show and say...well it sure doesn't sound like VH did.

I am thankfull that they take the sound and product so seriously...THANK GOD! Yeah it has holes that everyone wants to bring up, but looking at the entire body of work....they sound awesome.
    Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.23.08 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150Sooner View Post
    I just saw Ozzy and Rob Zombie the other night and THANK GOD Eddie is a stickler for perfection.
    The Zombie show sounded ok...not great, but not bad. It was just hard to tell what was piped in and what was really being played...but the theatrics...wow.

Ozzy....what a mess. That was the worst balance of sound I think I have ever heard...and that's a shame, cause the band is really good and COULD have sounded better.
    Which brings me to VH.

It's loud and it sounds AWESOME compared to Ozzy the other night and a few other shows I have seen recently to compare to.
    You don't realize how good the band sound and mix is and Eddie's sound until you sit back at another show and say...well it sure doesn't sound like VH did.

I am thankfull that they take the sound and product so seriously...THANK GOD! Yeah it has holes that everyone wants to bring up, but looking at the entire body of work....they sound awesome.
    Really? I think a lot of people would to disagree because the live sound quality has been one of the most consistant complaints about this. WAY too loud, distored lead vocals, shitty mix. I am sure they have had their good nights but having seen them evey tour since 84 I think thsi one was is by far the worst sounding. But hey, thats just my opinion from the show I saw at MSG and Ive seen countless other bands there that sounded great. And as far as Eds tone goes, I dont know, its not doin it for me, too much squaky mids, cocked wah-ish like tone....

Last Online

05.03.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmarsh View Post
    Really? I think a lot of people would to disagree because the live sound quality has been one of the most consistant complaints about this. WAY too loud, distored lead vocals, shitty mix. I am sure they have had their good nights but having seen them evey tour since 84 I think thsi one was is by far the worst sounding. But hey, thats just my opinion from the show I saw at MSG and Ive seen countless other bands there that sounded great. And as far as Eds tone goes, I dont know, its not doin it for me, too much squaky mids, cocked wah-ish like tone....
    Absolutely. With Ed's Doush-Bag guitar tech Matt Bruck involved with sound, it is like there is NOBODY BEHIND THE DAMN WHEEL!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Blood and Fire
    Last Online

08.19.12 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c2dzmm View Post
    Absolutely. With Ed's Doush-Bag guitar tech Matt Bruck involved with sound, it is like there is NOBODY BEHIND THE DAMN WHEEL!!!
    Huh? He's not even the tech. Interesting.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are too loud at times. If somebody would just take the time to play with the mix for awhile, I'm sure it could get balanced out and sound good. At Indy, there were times it was perfect, you could hear all four just right. But then there were times you couldn't tell what Dave was singing. I heard it was worse the higher up you got too. This has been the only time this has happened since I've seen them, and that's been since 90.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmarsh View Post
    I am sure they have had their good nights but having seen them evey tour since 84 I think thsi one was is by far the worst sounding.
    Hey Wolf...I would agree this tour hasn't been the best live sound VH has had. I've seen them every tour since '88. I thought '95 and '98 were the best sounding.

But you really think this tour has a worse sound than '04?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.23.08 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    Hey Wolf...I would agree this tour hasn't been the best live sound VH has had. I've seen them every tour since '88. I thought '95 and '98 were the best sounding.

I dont know, 04 was bad more because of Ed's awful drunken playing, but from what I remember the sound wasnt awful, and Im not saying this tour is awful either, just not nearly as god as some of the other tours I saw. You mentioned 98, great example. I saw the 1998 show and thsi show both at Madison Square Garden and the sound in 98 was much better: clearer, not too loud, etc so something is up with the sound crew this time.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah...VH is freaking loud as all get out, but at least I can pick out the parts of the band....with some of these shows lately it's just one big train wreck. Plus the sound in my opinion from the 3 shows I have seen was really good...maybe I just got lucky and got the right venue. Who the hell knows.

Zombie though was absolutely incredible.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post

I thought ED was best in '93 on the Live..Right Here tour. And I even saw that one outdoors!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Whole thread dedicated Eds playing. Post in that thread.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.