Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,980
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Likes
    310
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

    In need of some encouragment and advice...

    Hey all,

    I am a 3rd year university student, just about to finish the first semester of the year. Today I was supposed to receive back a paper which I submitted two weeks or so ago. I received an email from my professor telling me my paper would not be ready until Monday, so I went to meet him to ask why and he is reviewing it to see if I plagiarized. I have never plagiarized any of my work, and when he told me he had to review it I was so stunned I got nervous and really edgy. We're supposed to discuss it Monday, and when we do I just can't imagine what to expect. How do you prove your ideas are original? Or rather that you didn't know of an additional text or source which contained a similar or identical view? What if I inadvertently used the same language as someone else? How do I disprove that? anyways, I just need to hear similar stories, things to calm me down, etc. This situation is so foreign to me I probably look like I plagiarized cause I'm just that upset over. The worst part of it all is that I have a ton of work to finish over this weekend with this issue hanging over my head. I keep reminding myself that I didn't plagiarize, but it isn't doing much to make me feel any better. Any and all responses appreciated....

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Hey all,

    I am a 3rd year university student, just about to finish the first semester of the year. Today I was supposed to receive back a paper which I submitted two weeks or so ago. I received an email from my professor telling me my paper would not be ready until Monday, so I went to meet him to ask why and he is reviewing it to see if I plagiarized. I have never plagiarized any of my work, and when he told me he had to review it I was so stunned I got nervous and really edgy. We're supposed to discuss it Monday, and when we do I just can't imagine what to expect. How do you prove your ideas are original? Or rather that you didn't know of an additional text or source which contained a similar or identical view? What if I inadvertently used the same language as someone else? How do I disprove that? anyways, I just need to hear similar stories, things to calm me down, etc. This situation is so foreign to me I probably look like I plagiarized cause I'm just that upset over. The worst part of it all is that I have a ton of work to finish over this weekend with this issue hanging over my head. I keep reminding myself that I didn't plagiarize, but it isn't doing much to make me feel any better. Any and all responses appreciated....
    never ran into this during my schooling...and though the evil specter of cheating is always dangled over our head as something they'll ruin our lives over, I'm sure your professor, once having heard you out, will understand that any similarities are coincidental...if they genuinely are...I'm sure he's seen his fair share of cheaters and has enough experience to tell the difference between someone who is genuinely cheating and someone who either didn't cite their sources properly or who just happened to have the same idea independently of another person...dont' sweat it between now and monday...there's nothing that will accomplish. Wait until you hear him out and then, if there's something to worry about, go ahead...but there's no sense in worrying if there's no reason to.

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Show him your notes. Make a detailed outline of your research materials and how you concluded your own hypothesies. Create a bibliography of books used (that's probably already in your paper). Above all, keep your cool. Don't go in there swinging. Listen to what he says and calmly rebut any negative statements, using the above materials as necessary.

    Take pride in the fact that you wrote such a good paper that the professor believes it to be plagarized.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  4. #4
    Eruption Onirb's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.16.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Oviedo,Fl
    Posts
    943
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Likes
    17
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    To me there are a couple of ways to look at this. First off is this the first paper you wrote for this professor? If this is not the first time that you had a written project for this class did you change your writing style? Compared to other projects did you put more effort into this one than others?(I did this once and it freaked out my professor. I am a last minute person so when I put more time in a project and recieved a couple of more questions about it.)

    Did you use different sources?

    In pharmacy school it took me awhile to get focused and the year I buckled down it threw my professors off. I had the same profs all the time. One even had a teachers assistant stand next to me during an exam to make sure I wasn't cheating. Basically showing some signs of improvements can cause this.

    Things will work out. Just take care of things you need to take care off and it will all work out.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,636
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Likes
    567
    Liked 2,220 Times in 1,120 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. They use a program that flags anything that has been used before. If they go back and check on the sources of that and they all seem to match up, then you would be busted. However, since you didn't, all the flags would come from various sources and the likelyhood of reproducing something exactly without ever seeing it is incredibly remote.

    He probably didn't get around to grading because he was on a week long bender or something so he made up an excuse. Teachers are incredibly lazy--just like students. They also hate school as much as you do, they just don't want you to know that.

    Either way, if you didn't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.25.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Va Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,016
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    You're FUCKED.







    Kidding. Don't worry about it. If you didn't plagerize it, then you're fine. Just tell him your process of writing the paper, including notes, etc.

    I don't think you'll get in trouble for plagerism unless you truly borrowed major chunks from another paper.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

  7. #7
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,980
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Likes
    310
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

    Default

    This is actually the 3rd paper I've written for him, and perhaps the issue is that my nominal performance the first few times around led him to believe it was suspect for me to write a paper as well as I did. The issue is there were no secondary sources, we simply used the text and formulated our opinions according to it. I am being honest with you guys (not that you have any way of knowing), I have never plagiarized and I really don't need to worry. I guess the whole prospect of meeting with him is just intimidating. Besides that, he is unsure of whether or not he believes I plagiarized, so I figure we'll have to discuss it no matter what he personally thinks as a means of being objective. I would never approach this with "arms swinging" (although I appreciate the advice), I am sure he has valid grounds for suspecting an issue here. I'll let you guys know how it turns out either way.

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. They use a program that flags anything that has been used before. If they go back and check on the sources of that and they all seem to match up, then you would be busted. However, since you didn't, all the flags would come from various sources and the likelyhood of reproducing something exactly without ever seeing it is incredibly remote.

    He probably didn't get around to grading because he was on a week long bender or something so he made up an excuse. Teachers are incredibly lazy--just like students. They also hate school as much as you do, they just don't want you to know that.

    Either way, if you didn't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
    Well, as a teacher I couldn't disagree more with your second paragraph. I don't know what kind of teachers you have had, but I am anything but lazy; nor do I hate school. In fact, I love my job and there are a lot of teachers out there like me, students too for that matter...so you might want to re-think making such broad, sweeping judgements.

    As for the plagiarism issue, there are a few different forms of plagiarism. It doesn't just mean copying parts of a text word for word. It also includes copying ideas from another source without properly identifying and crediting your sources, or attempting to pass someone else's ideas off as your own. Some people plagiarize without even knowing they are doing it. For example, an individual might read something from one source and process the info in the course of researching the assignment. That idea might pop back into that person's mind later on, and the student may simply forget where the idea originated or forget to credit the source. It's a very common occurrence with some of my students. Usually a simple conversation or a lesson to the class can clear those issues right up.

    I'm not saying you've done anything wrong. If you can show your prof your notes, or a rough draft of your work, and show the progression of your paper and the sources you used, then you should be fine. If you haven't plagiarized, then don't worry, just show your prof what you have done and demonstrate a good knowledge of your topic and your own material. Everything will probably work out fine.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,636
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Likes
    567
    Liked 2,220 Times in 1,120 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Maybe he thinks someone else did the paper for you if your first two were crap or something. That could be why he needs the weekend to mull it over, then ask you on Monday.

    Like someone else said, if you go in armed with notes, rough drafts, or whatever other materials you have you will be fine.

    Get drunk this weekend and listen to Van Halen like the rest of us
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,636
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Likes
    567
    Liked 2,220 Times in 1,120 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Well, as a teacher I couldn't disagree more with your second paragraph. I don't know what kind of teachers you have had, but I am anything but lazy; nor do I hate school. In fact, I love my job and there are a lot of teachers out there like me, students too for that matter...so you might want to re-think making such broad, sweeping judgements.
    Well I did think my college professors sucked, so maybe it was just them

    But come on...be honest...do you really like grading papers or tests? I bet you put it off just like your students put off writing it until the night before. If not, I envy your enjoyment of your job.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk TheresOnlyOneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.04
    Location
    Avengers Tower
    Posts
    10,149
    Favorite VH Album

    Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

    Different Devil
    Last Online

    11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quit school.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

    Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

    A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

    Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

  12. #12
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    This is actually the 3rd paper I've written for him, and perhaps the issue is that my nominal performance the first few times around led him to believe it was suspect for me to write a paper as well as I did. The issue is there were no secondary sources, we simply used the text and formulated our opinions according to it. I am being honest with you guys (not that you have any way of knowing), I have never plagiarized and I really don't need to worry. I guess the whole prospect of meeting with him is just intimidating. Besides that, he is unsure of whether or not he believes I plagiarized, so I figure we'll have to discuss it no matter what he personally thinks as a means of being objective. I would never approach this with "arms swinging" (although I appreciate the advice), I am sure he has valid grounds for suspecting an issue here. I'll let you guys know how it turns out either way.
    The key here is knowing your subject, If you can discuss the subject and/or your paper articulately, even if you have to refer to your notes from time to time, you wil convince him of your prowess in the subject. That's all he really wants to know.l
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    I think you each need to hear each other's side of the story. This is a serious offense that he is accusing you of doing. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end, but it sucks that it has come to this.




    ...by the way, when I read your post I thought I had read it somewhere before... j/k
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  14. #14
    Hot For Teacher 8amtill606's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.06.07
    Posts
    231
    Last Online

    03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    What was the topic matter of the paper?

  15. #15
    Baluchitherium Guitar Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.08.01
    Age
    47
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,334
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    You are way too quick to support the teacher who is accusing you of plagiarism.

    "I am sure he has valid grounds for suspecting..." WTF?

    If you take that approach during the meeting he will assume you are guilty or hiding something.

    If you are being honest about not doing anything wrong, then I think you need to show some anger and indignation. Tell him how upset you are at the accusation, and show him why he's wrong. Otherwise, he will have no respect for you and you'll probably get hosed.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Need some advice
    By Ryerye in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08.11.07, 05:28 PM
  2. Job Advice
    By 5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11.21.06, 02:10 PM
  3. Any advice?
    By Junior in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05.19.05, 11:30 AM
  4. Help! A little Advice.
    By Viking in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04.30.05, 10:02 PM
  5. Need advice
    By sbrum in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12.21.01, 06:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •