Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

From Our "Who Really Gives A Shit?" Dept: McEnroe Fearful Of The Mob Invading Tennis

McEnroe fears mafia infiltrating tennis

2 hours, 1 minute ago

LONDON (AFP) - US tennis legend John McEnroe expressed his concern on Friday that organised crime, such as the Russian mafia, could be infiltrating tennis.

The former world number one believes that threats to tennis players or their families could be forcing them into throwing matches.

"The thing that worries me is that mafia types, like the Russian mafia, could be involved. That's potentially pretty dark and scary," McEnroe told The Daily Telegraph.

"I think that's the side that people aren't really looking at with these match-fixing stories. Someone may have threatened the players, and they are put in a situation. I'm guessing that could happen. That would make more sense to me than top players throwing a match for money.

"Throwing a match for money would be stupid, as you would be risking losing what you've worked for your whole life. It seems crazy that players would take that risk for money. It would make more sense that they've been threatened in some way and that's why they're doing it."

Russian Nikolay Davydenko, the world number four, is being investigated by the ATP after a defeat in Poland in August while Italian Alessio di Mauro was suspended for nine months for betting on matches and Philipp Kohlschreiber has had to defend himself of accusations of match-fixing in the German press.

"With a high-ranked guy like Davydenko, he's making so much money to begin with that he'd be risking so much by doing it, as if you get caught you should be banned for life," McEnroe said.

"But it's pretty tough to prove that someone has thrown a match unless you're tapping the guy's phone or something."

But some of the lower-ranked players in men's tennis could be tempted by bribe money, McEnroe said.

"I think this issue has to be closely looked at, because it's very conceivable that it's happening. There are guys out there who are 100 in the world, 200 in the world, and they're making 50,000 pounds a year.

"And if someone says that they'll give you 50,000 pounds, so your entire year's money, I think there's a strong possibility that they have taken the money, without a doubt," McEnroe said.

"There is definitely temptation for people. It's becoming more of a drama because there's more money in sports."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071207...02lmiwRc.s0NUE
    Last edited by chefcraig; 12.07.07 at 08:30 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:42 AM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

The only way people pay attention to tennis these days would be if they could make some real money on the matches. That, or there's some Russian chick in a mini-skirt.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

USING HIS BEST BROOKLYN ACCENT , YOU'S DONT KNOW NOTHING . IFS YOUS DONT THROW DA MATCH YOUS GONNA WIND UP WITH A TENNIS RACKET AROUNDS UR NECK . YOUS UNDERSTAND ME ..KAPITCH.:
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Yet with the players making a mere 50,000 pounds per year, why would the Federation...err, the mob, bother with such "penny-ante operators" ?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

The Russian mob is big in the NHL too. At least they used to be in the 90s, I'm not sure if they still are. They wait for a Russian player to make it big in the US and target their family in Russia and threaten hits on the family until the player pays up.

That being said, I'm sure Tennis would be a lot easier to screw with than any other sport outside of golf. Nothing is sacred. Look at the Donaghy/NBA stuff.