Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Asymetric Neck Profile

Maybe a stupid question, but here goes.
    I haven't played too many wolfgangs, but was wondering if all versions of all Brands of Wolfgangs have the Asymetric back contour.
    so, all EBMM and Peavey versions? how about Olp?

Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Good question

I know that the EBMM all have the asymetrical neck. With the Axis they adjusted the neck to aviod the high E string roll-off but they kept it asymetrical.

As for the wolfies I have no idea.
    John
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks John!
    Let me explain why I'm asking:
    I have built about 8 or 9 Warmoths now, and most of the time used their thin profile (1 3/4" nut)
    I really want to try something different now, and think their asymetrical Wolfgang neck is really interesting. It makes sense that it is more 'ergonomic', but I am not sure if I ever played one
    I tried the SRV model, and that one should be asymetrical too.

So before I order, I would like to try out a couple of different profiles, including the wolfgang.
    The downside is that I have to go to McGuitarcenter again and pretend to be a potential buyer

note to self: bring earplugs to cancel out pimply teenagers playing Iron Man!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the ebmm was asymetrical and the axis still is with the added 1/32 of wodd at the heel only. the wolf also had the same asymetrical neck but the neck feels alot wider due to the 15 inch radius. the olp is a very slight almost not noticable profile and the neck also feels wider then a evh/axis. more like the wolf. i would give it a try.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The radius on the Axis neck is just hideous, unless you're some kind of natural maestro.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    The radius on the Axis neck is just hideous, unless you're some kind of natural maestro.
    And of course you had yours re-radiused to 15"!

Being SO used to the Wolfgang, I thought the radius on the Axis would bother me, but it really doesn't. I still prefer it flatter, though.

The EBMM/Axis was a digital scan of one of Ed's Kramer necks that he loved. I don't know if Peavey did something similar or just went with a basic asymetrical shape, but the two are very similar (aside from the very occasional oddity on the EBMM). From what I know, the "Wolfgang" profile Warmoth does is essentially the same as the Peavey necks. The SRV asymetrical profile is generally thicker and a bolder transition from one side to the other. My guess is the Wolfgang profile will be much more comfortable to one used to the "Standard Thin."

Eruption
    Last Online

01.12.11 @ 05:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's an asymmetrical neck for you:

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

see i like the 10 inch radius. it makes the neck a tad thinner. i hate wide necks. like them thin and beefy like the ebmm. everyone is different though.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Oh yeah, I like narrow-yet-beefy necks, but I also like them flatter than the Axis, and with higher frets (but still narrow!).

My playing has improved, and possibly this is because of "stamina" reasons related to the flatter board and higher frets, since I had the mods made to my Axis Super Sport. In other words, I experience less left-hand fatigue, and therefore can practice the bitchy licks for extended periods of time, like Eddie's famous "stretch lick" that he does on Beat It, and other tunes. There's a lot of legato in that lick, and it's a bitch for ME on the standard Axis neck.

Tapping has improved for me also, it's as if I don't have to dig "way in there" while hammering with my right hand finger.

I haven't picked up my Axis standard in almost a year. Literally. I should probably sell it, it's had like 15 hours put on it since 2002.

And by the way, Andrew, I picked a radius that was between the Axis and the Wolf, and went with either 12 or 13, I can't remember. I'd have to check my history! Should've gone with 15, though!

** strange question: does anybody here have a Blackberry with a data plan? That's about the simplest way I can think of to send a sample of the kind of licks I'm talking about. I would even bet the microphone on my Pearl is better than the .50 cent piece of sh*t that came with my Dell.
    Last edited by Majestic; 12.08.07 at 05:36 PM.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah, I like narrow-yet-beefy necks, but I also like them flatter than the Axis, and with higher frets (but still narrow!).

My playing has improved, and possibly this is because of "stamina" reasons related to the flatter board and higher frets, since I had the mods made to my Axis Super Sport. In other words, I experience less left-hand fatigue, and therefore can practice the bitchy licks for extended periods of time, like Eddie's famous "stretch lick" that he does on Beat It, and other tunes. There's a lot of legato in that lick, and it's a bitch for ME on the standard Axis neck.

Tapping has improved for me also, it's as if I don't have to dig "way in there" while hammering with my right hand finger.

I haven't picked up my Axis standard in almost a year. Literally. I should probably sell it, it's had like 15 hours put on it since 2002.

And by the way, Andrew, I picked a radius that was between the Axis and the Wolf, and went with either 12 or 13, I can't remember. I'd have to check my history! Should've gone with 15, though!

** strange question: does anybody here have a Blackberry with a data plan? That's about the simplest way I can think of to send a sample of the kind of licks I'm talking about. I would even bet the microphone on my Pearl is better than the .50 cent piece of sh*t that came with my Dell.
    i know what you mean about fatigue. my left hand use to tire like crazy practicing crazy runs when i got my first evh. in time though i feel my hand has become alot stronger but it all comes down to what you get used to. that could be a main reason for ed going to a 15 radius on the wolfgangs also. less fatigue. if you watch the us festival solo after some wild runs in the beginning he shakes his hand like its getting tired. i believe the beak neck had a smaller radius. i would have to ask a friend that owns it. hey majestic what color is your axis standard? let me know if your interested in selling it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by J_Alexander View Post
    hey majestic what color is your axis standard? let me know if your interested in selling it.
    I've gotta be careful not to turn this into an "E-Bay" thread, but, my Axis Standard is Orange. It's sort of half flame/half quilt.

That said, it's an Axis, all the way. Goofy neck profile, goofy narrow, low frets, goofy fretboard radius, goofy wear-marks where Eddie played his favorite scales, etc.

In all honesty, the guitar became more *difficult* to play the more advanced I became. The more I noodled around with stretch & legato licks, the more difficult the guitar became to play compared to your average Guitar Center style Jackson with gi-normous frets and flat fingerboards.

I'll handle any further questions about my specific guitar via private message. I would consider selling it.

Again, when you're playing an Axis (or an EVH), you're dealing with one goofy-a** guitar. Truly strange. I only became aware of Eddie's "wear marks" when my local luthier defretted my Axis Super Sport and showed me the disconnected, bare carziness of Ed's habits. It IS sort of like looking at someone else's history. Weird.