Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.24.08 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Report: Is Van Halen Scalping Hundreds of Tickets?

Link:
    http://www.ticketnews.com/Is-Van-Hal...Tickets0129073

Story:

By Alfred Branch, Jr.
    Van Halen may have figured out a way to put the “diamond” into Diamond David Lee Roth’s nickname.
    Following the lead of Beyonce and Lynyrd Skynyrd/Hank Williams, Jr., it appears that the veteran rockers may be scalping dozens of tickets for their upcoming 2008 shows, based on a review of Ticketmaster’sTicketExchange website. The band’s current tour, featuring the return of Roth on vocals with Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen, has been one of the top-selling tours all year, according to TicketNews’ weekly ranking of leading concerts.
    For a March 17, 2008 show at Madison Square Garden, for example, tickets were being offered on the TicketExchange for as high as $2,885 a piece for some premium seats. Tickets went on sale for the show at 10am today, but these seats, and dozens of others, were up on the TicketExchange in less than 10 minutes after the general onsale, which would appear to be impossible unless the tickets were withheld from the public and posted separately. Traditionally, bands, promoters and venues play around with tickets for shows, making them available in waves or withholding them outright for complimentary or other purposes.
    “It’s impossible for those tickets to be from anyone but the artist and promoter,” said one ticket broker who observed the onsale. “They were up on the exchange within minutes.”
    Since there is no distinction of where the tickets came from, there is no guarantee they were posted by Van Halen, but the quickness in which they appeared on the TicketExchange provides some insight. In addition, most of tickets were listed in pairs, threes and fours, which would indicate they were doled out in blocks.
    The tour is promoted by Live Nation, and Van Halen is represented by Front Line Management, which Ticketmaster’s parent company IAC/InterActiveCorp bought a controlling interest in earlier in the year. High Profile Media’s Jamie Liszweski, spokesperson for the band, did not respond to questions concerning Van Halen and the tickets.
    “If you’re going to do it [auction tickets], do it, but don’t then claim your seats are only $150,” the broker said. “Just say you’re selling VIP tickets for more and sell them.”

- End

I think its kinda funny that a broker is pissed at the band for selling tickets but its ok for him to do it? lol Anyways If they are doing it its wrong. I already disagree with selling a used guitar for every show but what do I know.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Would they really need the profit from 10 blocks of tickets if they are already getting $1.5 million a show?

Screw the broker anyway. He can eat shit for all I care. He's getting beat at his own game. He thinks its unfair to be able to sell tickets before it is humanly possible to get them? Join the f*cking club dickface.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This right here is why I don't go to more shows. Free enterprise, supply & demand, etc...I'm all for it. But sometimes things go a little too far, and the fans get screwed in the process.
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Tough shit brokers. You've been playing that game for many, many years.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

a ticket is worh whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

as long as the seats are full, then so be it... it sucks, but until people stop going, it aint gonna change...so, seems to me, the band should get as much of that as they can instead of someone else getting rich of it.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    a ticket is worh whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

as long as the seats are full, then so be it... it sucks, but until people stop going, it aint gonna change...so, seems to me, the band should get as much of that as they can instead of someone else getting rich of it.
    I agree - hilarious that a broker is whining about it. I know a broker, nice guy - he couldn't get ANYTHING for VH at the Garden last month. He said he had no idea where the tickets were, but he really didn't have access to them.

I don't have a problem, as others have said it's free market. And when these tickets DON'T sell, they'll just go back onto TM to be snapped up by me.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great to see a broker complain about it... if anything, vh/tm have figured that they can just cut out the middleman in that scheme... we've seen tickets go up on sale on stub hub well before any pre- or onsales for quite a while now...

but it does suck that they continue to raise prices and put tickets virtually out of reach from the general public... it's what kept me away from seeing genesis this year, which i really would've liked to see... but the tickets that i could afford without going crazy would've put me in the nosebleeds... what they wind up with is either with fans who have a lot of disposable income and see the show as a throwaway to go to, fans who really can't afford the tickets but blindly shell out the cash anyway, or corporations giving out the tickets to people who couldn't give two craps about the artist they're seeing, or at best only know a handful of their tunes...

i know the artist is in it to make money, but you're certainly not building a loyal following with that kind of tactic... and maybe vh just sees this as a short term cash grab, so then, yeah, i would look to maximize what i could get, too... but if you're looking at building a loyal live following, do as springsteen or pearl jam do...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.14.09 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1 cash grabber crying about another !!!! LOL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

At least EVH is playing an entire song on his "ebay guitar" and not strumming 2-3 of these per song.

Soon you'll have to throw a crumpled $20 on stage before he tosses a pick your way.

I guess he's making up for not getting a dime for Beat It.

Hot sauce is next...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.19.12 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ticketnews.com didn't have to review Ticket Exchange listing to figure out what was going on. Ticketmaster lists it right on the site! Those are the "Official Platinum Seats." Live Nation is looking for any way possible to profit from every angle of the industry. Looks like now they're encroaching on the scalpers' turf.

From Ticketmaster:

"Official Platinum Seats™
    Get exclusive access to preferred seating on TicketExchange for the ultimate experience.
    Click Find Van Halen Tickets below, find your show, then click on the TicketExchange tab to browse for the perfect tickets.

Find Van Halen Tickets »

Regular Tickets
    Get the best available seats when tickets go on sale in your city. Click Find Van Halen Tickets below and find your show.

Find Van Halen Tickets »"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.18.13 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Exactly.

It really pisses me off when these guys get tickets far ahead then anybody!!..When I was getting my tickets for the night before new years in Las Vegas, I was on a half hour before hitting the refresh button a million times , then,....the best seats I got were in E??? C'mon...these guys are all fuckers. So what. My tickets are worth altogether 1,000 bucks??...Fuck these guys. I'm going to the show. How embarrasing for these guys.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.31.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say I dont agree with that practice.
    There are fans like myself who would really like to sit close at shows (not just van halen, other bands have to do this as well, to much profit to be made) but are not able to cause these seats are blocked off and sold for thousands of dollars.
    Buy hey, people will pay the price for the tickets, so this type of thing will continue.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

This is the best way. For years it was the lucky ones who got the best seats. (those who happened to be first in line AND have the ticket guy press at the exact moment the tickets go on sale). At least now, the best fans get the best seats. (best not necessarily meaning richest, but best meaning those willing to shelll out the most bucks). If the money goes directly to the band or promoter, good for them.

$500 per ticket is not for the rich only. I've been waiting over 20 years for this show. ($25 per year). If $500 gets me into the pit, then fine. I've seen pit tickets at or below $500 for most of the shows (on ticketsnow.com)
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    This is the best way. For years it was the lucky ones who got the best seats. (those who happened to be first in line AND have the ticket guy press at the exact moment the tickets go on sale). At least now, the best fans get the best seats. (best not necessarily meaning richest, but best meaning those willing to shelll out the most bucks). If the money goes directly to the band or promoter, good for them.

$500 per ticket is not for the rich only. I've been waiting over 20 years for this show. ($25 per year). If $500 gets me into the pit, then fine. I've seen pit tickets at or below $500 for most of the shows (on ticketsnow.com)
    you can rationalize it all you want, and it's fine if you're willing to shell out $500 a pop for 2 hours, but to most people the pricing is *not* reasonable, and that does not make those of us any less of a fan than you are, no offense... just because dave hasn't been on board in 22 years does not mean that dave gets the benefit to collect for all those lost years from me... same goes for genesis, the police, the who, the stones, etc.

i thought one of the coolest things that happened in recent years touring-wise was when the stones were mixing in club dates with their stadium/arena/club tour, while keeping the club ticket at what you would consider a ridiculously cheap price by today's standards ($50!)... they did these one-offs to build buzz, and scalpers had no way to get in on it with heavy volume because you had to show up in person to get a bracelet the day before the show to pick up tickets the day of the show...

of course, this isn't feasible for an arena show, but i still like first come, first served better... why couldn't vh do a general admission for a section of the floor (think iron maiden)? because then you can't charge what they're charging... i just wish they could do a handful of one-off "fan" shows in some small venues... it's not going to happen, but no harm in wanting it to happen!
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    That's fine if you only go to a concert every 23 years. For the rest of us it's very pricey. If you can afford $500 tickets, great, but many of us who are "true" fans can't--especially for two tickets. Congratulations on being to afford it. When you sit close and those up close are just standing there while people in the bowl are going crazy, do you ever wonder why that is?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.