Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Of 2007

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Best Of 2007

So, this time of the year where we can talk about the new records that came out this year that we loved , while some others can bitch about how there's no good music these days.

Now back to the point :]

Holding A Wolf By The Ears - From Autumn To Ashes

I've been waiting for FATA's new album for like ages, their 3rd release was a huge letdown and after they kicked out their lead singer last summer I had almost given up on expecting anything from this band. When it came out in April it just totally blew my mind. I was meant to judge it harsh, but it starts off so intently and carries the vibe thru the whole record. Some songs (one or two) have a classic FATA structure which makes them predictable, but they've been like the first band to pioneer swing chord progression so it only adds to the overal score. Solid A.

Messengers - August Burns Red

Holy fucking shit. Best produced album, ever. I don't get how they have like 5 guitar parts coming on top of a that massive wall of rythm/bass sound and I could still tell every note one from another. Very fresh and colorful. A-Plus

Combinations - Eisley

One word - Fantastic. I don't know of any other 'big' band more unique then Eisley are, their first album was beyond original but "Combinations" brings their style even further. Divine vocals, brilliant songs and just a really great structure of the record. A-Plus

Who We Are - Lifehouse

As good as their previous album, and the one before. Really good songwriting, just a really solid alternative rock record. A

Minutes To Midnight - Linkin Park

Extremely odd to hear Chester trying to sounds like Jesse Lacey from Brand New, but it surprisingly works. Not the best album of the year, but I had been waking up listening to it for quite a long time few months ago and it has a very nice mellow vibe to it. B-Plus

One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours - Fightstar

Cliche-ish in a way, but it has a good structure, nice producing and combination of all types of songs. B-Plus

No World For Tomorrow - Coheed And Cambria

Save for the horrid cover art and a bit 'WTF?'-ish ending of the last song, the album is bloody amazing. For me a huge step forward from their 3rd record, some brilliant riffs on this one. B-Plus

There're loads of others I'd rate "B", and a couple of complete dissappointments like The Used and Avril Lavigne albums that I'd rate "S", but those are off the top of my head.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Damnit Mish! I had a review ready to post and everything for the best of 2007. Thanks a lot!

Nah, its no big deal. It's actually good to see someone else on the same page with me. I'll make my post soon
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Haha it's nice that someone else thinks there were albums this year worth reviewing (just like any other year). Post it, I wonder if I missed anything.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Neurosis - Given to the Rising
    Heavy dirge at its finest. Produced by Steve Albini, the audio is the best of any of their CD's. This is one band that has maintained an impressive level of quality over the long-haul (20 years+).

Red Sparrowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Red Sun
    Instrumental rock ala Explosions in the Sky but heavier. Edgy production which is a plus. Melodic but raw.

Robert Fripp - At the End of Time
    Ambient soundscapes of a peaceful nature. Not Fripp's best but certainly not his worst. Nothing like King Crimson which is a good thing IMO.

Slayer - Christ Illusion
    Nothing will ever top "South of Heaven" but not bad.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Haha it's nice that someone else thinks there were albums this year worth reviewing (just like any other year). Post it, I wonder if I missed anything.
    Nah, you and I were on a more different level this time. Your acts are more obscure, underground acts (at least here in the States) while some are more popular. Mine's more in tribute to the older acts who released music this year.

I guess that's a good thing, because we both add musical diversity in the thread.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Default Chrome Dreams II

Neil Young- Chrome Dreams II... It gets better every time you listen too it. And Ordinary People is like the soundtrack to this decade.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post

Slayer - Christ Illusion
    Nothing will ever top "South of Heaven" but not bad.

Hell yeah CHRIST ILLUSION is a great record. But You like South of Heaven more than Reign in Blood???? That album is stronger than ALL imo of course.

OK, For 2007 along with the above Slayer disc I'll add:

Ozzy Osbourne: Black Rain - I didn't like it that much at first, but man, "I Don't Wanna Stop" (minus the gay lyrics) is one heavy catchy as HELL song. I'm going to see Ozz with Rob Zombie this month. Can't wait

Tesla- Real To Reel Vol 1&2 All cover tunes but it's Tesla, so I'm in

SIXX AM - Heroin Diaries Soundtrack - not bad for a soundtrack to a book. Some catchy tunes on there.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but 2007 was kinda like 2006.....not much to get excited about in the hard rock world. Oh well

Disappointment of the year:

Sebastian Bach - Angel Down

Maybe I expected too much, but this album has all the right ingredients but still does NOTHING for me:

Heavy music - CHECK
    Insane Bach screaming- CHECK
    Guest vocals from Axl Rose - CHECK
    GOOD SONGS - BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ nope. Even the cover of Aerosmith's "Back In The Saddle" is a bummer.

Note to Skid Row and Sebastian Bach...........Get back together. Both are terrible without the other.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Forgot to post this one -

Easy Tiger - Ryan Adams

I don't know why critics go like "ZOMG his best album since Cold Roses (it's not), but then again Cold Roses is THAT good so it's just me being picky. It's a very good record, I wanted to see him live with Cardinals in Cardiff just last month but couldn't literally afford the tickets.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    Hell yeah CHRIST ILLUSION is a great record. But You like South of Heaven more than Reign in Blood???? That album is stronger than ALL imo of course.
    The tone on South of Heaven does it for me and it has sentimental value(hard to say "sentimental" in the context of Slayer) but Reign in Blood is my close 2nd.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.03.10 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Best song I've heard this year may be 'Fake It', the latest from Seether. I haven't heard the rest of the CD yet though.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gets better with every listen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In Rainbows - Radiohead
    No World For Tomorrow - Coheed & Cambria
    Zeitgeist - Pumpkins
    Fragile Army - Polyphonic Spree
    Blackbird - Alterbridge
    Echoes/Silences - Foos

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    The tone on South of Heaven does it for me and it has sentimental value(hard to say "sentimental" in the context of Slayer) but Reign in Blood is my close 2nd.
    Wow, that's pretty weird that you said that because Reign In Blood is the same way with me. It's my favorite for that very reason even though I feel that "God Hates Us All" is their best album.

Slayer dude

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Velvet Revolver Libertad is pretty kick ass. Megadeth's United Abominations really friggin' good as well.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Here's my big Music Blog of 2007. I didn't plan to reveal it for another week or so, but what the hell, since we're on the topic. Some of you will like it, some of you may not. I have done the best AND the worst of the year for good measure.

Here is Part I of II:

A Brief Intro From the Author…

2007 was probably the greatest year for mainstream rock music in about ten or eleven years. To recap, between 1996-1997, we had reunions, comebacks, older bands trying new things, and even bands who released music consistently releasing albums in that time period. I personally feel those two years were the greatest for rock music since 1981, without question.

Yes, mainstream rock these days is definitely different from in the past. We now have your emo bands, and alternative music has taken a negative shift recently. Since 2000, we’ve been bogged down by useless tripe that I feel will have no relevance 20 years from today.

With that said, since 2004 and the announcement of Motley Crue’s return, I really believe that they were the innovators of the now common “Reunion Bandwagon”. Since that we’ve seen the resurgence of many older rock bands and lately, that style of music has been making a small comeback.

I mean, look at 2007. Van Halen got back with vocalist David Lee Roth after 23 years (although not a reunion, as they are missing original bassist Michael Anthony), Genesis toured with Phil Collins, the Police toured, and several other major acts either came back and toured or just toured again. 2007 has been a very successful year in gradual return that classic rock has been making, and it’s exactly the kick in the rear that the industry needed to receive.

This year we’ve seen probably more than we’ve seen the last two years combined. Almost EVERYONE from yesteryear toured or put out an album, which definitely helps their cause, and honestly, none of these acts really disappointed. With that said, I would personally like to welcome you all to the first annual “Zach’s Choice Music Awards” of 2007. Essentially we’ll cover everything, from albums, to singles, to tours.

Without further adieu, let us begin!

Albums of 2007
    Zach’s Choice Music Award – Best Album of 2007

Velvet Revolver – Libertad (July 3, 2007)

Based on their first and only release, 2004’s Contraband, Velvet Revolver seemed like an act who simply could not put out a consistent rock album. I mean, the good songs were phenomenal classics, and the filler tracks were really bad songs. They tried too hard to sound like the Guns N’ Roses / Stone Temple Pilots matrix they really were.

Libertad (the Spanish word for “freedom”) finally shows the band trying to sound like something original, instead of trying to conform to the matrix. And with them trying a more original approach, they churned out what is perhaps their finest release of GNR and STP combined (excluding, of course, GNR’s 1991 masterpiece, Use Your Illusion I & II). Even the filler tracks are gold, and very rarely can a band say that for themselves. And if that’s the case for filler, just imagine how great the good tracks actually are. There’s really only one negative spot, and that’s the ELO cover of “Can’t Get It Out of My Head”, which really doesn’t take up much space.

Overall, the album is strong, front to back, top to bottom. It’s filled with hard driving, short-but-sweet rock tunes, and because of its masterpiece quality, deserves Album of the Year honors for 2007.

Strongest Strings – “Let It Roll”, “Get Out the Door”, “The Last Fight”
    Weakest Link – “Can’t Get It Out of My Head”

Best Album of 2007 (Runner-Up)
    Rush – Snakes & Arrows (May 1, 2007)

Not one band from their time has released as many consistent albums as Rush has. Since 1974, the band has never broken up, and only took one brief hiatus between 1997 and 2002 (for personal reasons any Rush fan would understand). And the even more surprising thing is, Rush never seemed to give up or just not care about putting out quality music. Their music from the 1990s justifies that.

So it’s really no surprise that Snakes & Arrows is really as great as it is, actually. Vapor Trails back in 2002 had some production flaws, but nevertheless, the music was deep and inspiring, much like most Rush material. This concept made the anticipation of the album release so much greater, and when the single “Far Cry” was released on March 12, 2007, it only proved these guys were going to give 110%. The album certainly didn’t disappoint, either. The album consists of heavy hitters like “Armor & Sword” (which features a surprisingly subdued vocal by Geddy Lee), “The Larger Bowl”, “The Way the Wind Blows”, and instrumentals like “The Main Monkey Business” and “Hope”. There are a few weaker tracks, the glaring one being “Faithless”, which has its catchy moments, but overall seems inconsistent and somewhat disjointed.

This album is everything you’d expect from a Rush album, lyrically and musically. However, they did experiment with acoustic guitars much more, which added a new vibe to the music. Nick R., the producer, did a fabulous job capturing the sound of the band, and is vastly better than Vapor Trails in that respect. It’s a positive sign of things to come for the next Rush album, which is rumored to have Nick set as the producer once again. Definitely an album the band deserves to be proud of.

Strongest Strings – “Far Cry”, “Armor & Sword”, “Workin’ Them Angels”, “The Main Monkey Business”
    Weakest Link – “Faithless”

Biggest Disappointment of 2007
    Bon Jovi – Lost Highway (June 19, 2007)

Bon Jovi’s last really solid album was Crush back in 2000. Since then we got a semi-decent live album in 2001, the heavily-political and average Bounce in 2002, the disastrous attempt to revamp their greatest hits into acoustic pieces This Left Feels Right in 2004, an absolutely fantastic box set, also in 2004, and the miserably bad 2005 release Have A Nice Day. So Bon Jovi has been, to say the least, ridiculously inconsistent.

This is a band who could, without a doubt, make one of the greatest albums in rock history at this point in their career, with the talent that they have and the potential they give off. Apparently Bon Jovi has other plans, most likely from the dictator that is Jon Bon Jovi. Richie Sambora is a phenomenal guitarist who can lay down awesome riffs if he wanted to, and the other guys are just rock musicians. So the selling-out to the country crowd has the stink of Mr. Bon Jovi written all over it, and instead of getting the phenomenal rock record I’m expecting, we got an album to the country faithful. To me, this is a big “screw you” to the fans of their older music and that they just want to move on, forgetting about their incredible past.

Yes, the production is nice, and yes, some songs are quite alright. But essentially, the rest of the album is a joke, and just adds to the inconsistency of the band. The strong tracks are ones like “Lost Highway”, “I Love This Town”, and the sweet ballad “(You Want To) Make A Memory”. The weak tracks are either the really lame, “we-have-to-go-through-this-again?” ballads, the silly “We Got It Going On”, or the boring “Summertime”.

I do realize I enjoyed this when it came out, but that doesn’t mean I can’t see the light. This album really is a disaster, one that just proves the inconsistency of this band the last seven years. Oh how I wish they could return to the vein of Keep the Faith, These Days, and Crush, because they’re in pretty bad shape. Maybe not to the country fan-base, but nevertheless, to the core fan-base that once supported them through thick and thin. I was one of those fans.

Strongest Strings – “Lost Highway”, “(You Want To) Make A Memory”, “I Love This Town”
    Weakest Links – “Summertime”, “We Got It Going On”, The Other Ballads

Biggest Disappointment (Runner-Up)
    Smashing Pumpkins – Zeitgeist (July 10, 2007)

Let’s be honest. Smashing Pumpkins was one of, if not the elite alternative band of the 1990s, and they put out some of the most enjoyable music I’ve ever heard in my life. So this opinion is definitely not biased when I say that this album was really a tremendous disappointment. It was hyped up to be a stellar release, and the big return of the Pumpkins. Vocalist Billy Corgan really had no other choice, because his career wasn’t going anywhere anyway. He needed the Smashing Pumpkins product to make a return, and only decided to bring back Jimmy Chamberlain from the original group.

The first single, “Tarantula” only made the anticipation worse, because the song was amazing. Had the classic vein of old Pumpkins thrown in there. The live performance at Rock Am Ring Music Festival in June gave us a taste of what they’d sound like, and it was good. So I really did have high expectations for the release, and really, when hyped the way it was, wouldn’t you?

I listened to this as soon as it came out, was blown away by the opening track “Doomsday Clock”, but after that, everything was very bland. The rock songs were generic, something the Smashing Pumpkins are known for being the exact opposite of. It really shows Billy Corgan, who really is and always will be the Smashing Pumpkins, didn’t really try at all with this, and just wanted his face in the spotlight again. And that’s a shame, because before he seemed to be all about the music, instead of the product.

Production-wise, the album is terrific. Not much to say about individual songs other than they all sound ridiculously similar, and on top of that, are very bland. Major disappointment.

Strongest Strings – “Doomsday Clock”, “Tarantula”, “That’s The Way (My Love Is)”
    Weakest Links – “United States”, “For God and Country”, “Starz”

*Part II Coming*