Default *** REVIEWS Seattle 12.3 ***

Reviews only.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 1,544 Times in 485 Posts

Premium Member

From Seattle Times

It took them a few songs to get their engines revved up, but once they got going, the newly reunited Van Halen roared like the fine rock machine they were in their heyday 30-plus years ago, Monday night at a sold-out KeyArena.

Eddie Van Halen was stunning on guitar, presenting a master class in speed, technique, variety and creativity, complete with detailed close-ups of his fingering on a huge, Cinerama-like video screen. His several long solo turns were riveting, and he brought fire and intensity to every song.

David Lee Roth has been away from the band for a quarter century but it seemed like he never left. He made you forget about Sammy Hagar (his replacement), every time he let loose his full-throated, full-on vocalizing. And he reminded the fans that he's 10 times the showman Hagar could ever hope to be.

The power behind it all was drummer Alex Van Halen, who hasn't lost a bit of his energy or stamina. His drum solo was one of those rare ones that was actually worth paying attention to.

And 16-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen, son of Eddie, replacing original band member Michael Anthony, held his own admirably on bass and harmony vocals, which was awe-inspiring, given that he looked like he was out past his bedtime (he still has his baby fat).

Speaking of fat, shirtless Eddie Van Halen, who turns 53 next month, and Roth, 52, both showed lots of skin, because they're in great shape, with flat stomachs and plenty of definition. Roth can still execute those high, roundhouse kicks, but he didn't do much jumping, even during "Jump."

As always with Van Halen, the show was big, with mammoth lighting and sound systems, a semi-circular catwalk for Diamond Dave to strut around — and, boy, does he love to strut — and lots of stage business. Roth had a thing for top hats — red and black ones — which he twirled, juggled and even made a dirty joke with, and he tossed and spun his microphone stand like a majorette.

The band more than made up for all that time apart by playing a long set of some two dozen songs, mixing crowd favorites with less-familiar, even obscure gems, like the scat-filled "I'm the One" and the guitar-drenched "Mean Street."

Everything started to click five songs into the set, during the bluesy "Someone Get Me A Doctor," with Eddie Van Halen playing sweet blues licks and Roth vocally improvising. Then they tore into "Dance the Night Away," and never let up. The explosive "Everybody Wants Some" electrified the crowd, as did "Pretty Woman," "Unchained," "And the Cradle Will Rock," "Hot For Teacher," "Panama" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." The big finale of "Jump" concluded with a snowstorm of confetti.

Whether the Van Halen reunion will last is hard to tell. But for this one night, the band was together again in all its glory.

Patrick MacDonald: 206-464-2312 or pmacdonald@seattletimes.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.23.16 @ 04:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Show was amazing!! Eddie was far better than I had expected. He played absolutely great and at times near flawless. I got the insane privilege to be front row in the pit with my 5 Star which was well worth it for me. My voice is shot and I'm still pulling confetti out of my hair this morning. I will return later with a full review of the day and the show, hopefully with pictures too!

Almost forgot. I got two shirts, both not from the start of this tour. First one was a Classic style Jersey t-shirt and the other was the Eagle from the 1984 tour shirts. Very cool!!!!
    If you can't do it in a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans under one lightbulb, you can't do it!

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.
    David Lee Roth...

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Honolulu Baby" haha
    Last Online

04.19.16 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there. 3rd row, smack dab in the middle. I had Wolfgang laughing at one point when I pointed at him after Dave sang the wrong line in Pretty Woman I think it was. He laughed and motioned toward Dave and mouthed "It was his fault!" Up close you could see the band interact with each other, and they genuinely look as though they've come to appreciate what each member brings to the live show. They looked like they were having FUN. Dave shooting Eddie the a-ok gesture, Wolf laughing over Dave's antics, Al working through the ending of Hot For Teacher with verbal cues to Wolf, Ed and Dave in brief embrace, Eddie pointing to his Wolfgang tattoo during 316. A really great show. I can't remember the last concert I enjoyed that much.
    Put down the Cheetos, log off Mr. Skin, stop arguing like a bunch of old ladies, and GO OUTSIDE!

http://www.myspace.com/dragstripriot

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.04.07 @ 12:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The show had highlights and lowlights, like any other concert.

The highlight was Eddie blazing through "I'm The One" with flawlessness and ease. It was astonishing to see him rip that one off. With that setting the tone, I figured we were in for a night of Eddie proving once again why he is the King. However, it was not the case. The lowlight of the whole show was time and time again Eddie got lost in the songs, either trying to improvise or not knowing what to play. I saw Dave wince once or twice because of Eddie wandering off the song. The sound was occasionaly muddy and you could not here Dave half the night.

But who cares? It was Van Halen and I can't complain. Even though the set list had been leaked earlier in the year, I could not wait for each song with total anticipation. I never thought I'd see most of those songs performed live in my lifetime.

We all have songs we have heard a ba-jillion times and don't want to ever hear again. You know, that "classic" song you turn off or turn the station because hearing it one more time makes you sick. Ice Cream Man is one of those songs. I had zero interest in hearing it. That song ranks up there with Stairway To Heaven as songs to immediately turn. But God damn, they updated it and it smoked. The vocals, the drums and the guitar were perfectly mixed and the guys kicked it up a few notches and melted the stage.

Other than Dave's pot smoking story, there was no constant bantar and talking to the crowd (ala Sammy). It kept the show rolling and was clocked in at two hours long. The energy was high and unlike reports of earlier shows in the year, those old men never slowed down and didn't peter out halfway through.

Eddie's solo was great, yet painful at times. Drunk or sober, you never know what you'll get anymore. He played riffs from some old songs (Women In Love, Drop Dead Legs, etc.) and mixed it with the normal stuff--Spanish Fly, Eruption, etc. My personal favoite was when he lept into Little Guitars (intro) and played it in full instead of a broken tease. Everything between was a garble of improvisation, most not worth listening to.

I'm a Mike fan, and to say it doesn't matter if he's there or not is a down right lie or you're very stupid. Wolf, to my surprise was a better player than I thought. But he looked as awkward as a 15 year old about to lose his virginity. He sang his heart out and moved around more than Eddie or Dave.

Alex is Alex. Nothing I can say that you don't already know.

Lastly, was I wrong all these years? Is Dave really a better frontman than Sammy? I had never seen Roth perform, ever. I always wrote Roth off as a clown, which he is. But he delivered the goods. He kept the show together and nailed the notes. My biggest complaint is his choppy way of breaking up the lyrics. So who is better? That's up to you, but Dave showed last night he makes it a different VH than Sammy.

Oh, and Eddie was sober this time.
    Last edited by Texxas Jamm; 12.04.07 at 12:52 PM.

Last Online

12.04.07 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ringmaster

Wrote this during the show...

7:15 p.m.

I’m sitting in my seat at Key Arena in Seattle waiting on the Van Halen concert to start. It’s the first time in over 20 years that the original lead singer, David Lee Roth, is touring with the band, so the whole place is humming with excitement.

7:49 p.m.

The opening act just finished, and the place is buzzing. The Van Halen blimps just started circling the crowd, and people are cheering and trying to grab them (who says VH fans aren’t easily amused?)

8:31 p.m.

Lead guitarist Eddie Van Halen just came out. The stage is dark, but I can see him standing there from my seat on the floor near the stage. Ba-da-da-da-da, Ba-da-da-da-da —he’s just kicked into the opening riff to You Really God Me, and everyone’s on their feet, the place is starting to rock.

Dave’s at the top of the stage behind the drums waving a red flag. Eddie’s still jamming the intro. Back and forth, back and forth the flag goes. Dave just dropped the flag and is walking down to center stage. The place is starting to quake.

Now, some say Dave’s lost a step or two, that’s he’s not the same fearless showman that made Van Halen the biggest band on the planet. Some say he can’t sing like he used to and that his best days are behind him. But me, I think he might have a good show or two left in him. He steps up to the mike, and the crowd waits in anticipation. I look around me and see everyone’s eyes fixed on Dave. We all wonder what he’ll do next.

8:32 p.m.

Dave grasps the mike with his right hand and pauses for a moment, scanning the crowd. Up in the balcony, all around the stage, back up into the middle seats—the place is packed with people. Everyone wants to see whether original Van Halen can still rock like they used to.

Up on the jumbotron, Dave’s eyes appear to water a bit, and he smiles. He seems grateful for this one last time at bat.

8:33 p.m.

Dave grasps the mike stand. The band plays a little softer. Every eye is trained on him. Can he still do it? Or are we about to witness a fiasco?

The stage lights blast on, Dave yanks the mike out of the stand and wails, “Girl, you really got me now, you got me so I don’t know what I’m doin’!” and we all go nuts. The band kicks in, Dave lets out one of his patented bobcat screams, and we are off on a two-hour adventure that we will not soon forget.

In an instant, in the blink of an eye, any doubts we had about Dave and whether he was still the quintessential showman we knew and loved are gone. When the lights came up and the spotlight hit, we were transported back in time to 1984, and he proved once and for all that he was, is, and always will be the ultimate rock ‘n’ roll frontman.

Tonight is his night, and as I stand here with my ears ringing, I know I’m witnessing history, the return of the greatest show on earth. The Van Halen neon circus tent is back, and David Lee Roth is the ringmaster.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 346 Times in 152 Posts

Default Review

I think I'm going to try and give my review differently. I'm going to try bullet point style. I tend to think the long winded paragraphs are sometimes hard to take in. So here it goes complete with my background so you know where I'm coming from.

-I'm 34

-Jump was my first favorite song ever at the age of 11. It remained my favorite song for around 10 years and remains in my top 5. First seen on MTV with my sister and mom. "wow, look at those jumps" I remember them saying, heh.

-I basically grew up during the Sammy years though. Liked them then, but loved Roth and so wished they had never broken up.

-Last night was my first VH concert.

-The crowd, everyone up to the rafters, stood the entire show.

-I used Hearos high fidelity ear plugs. The volume level therefore had no effect on eventually "muddying" the sound for me. It was clear and crisp the entire night. Everything sounded great. I made sure to keep them out for at least the first song so I could get the full blast, which believe me I did.

-I sat in the rafters on Wolf's side with 8 of my friends, all first time VH with Dave concert goers. Half VH familiarites, half not. All loved the show and said they were great, i.e., better than their expectations.

-Everyone was on so no sense saying Dave or Eddie did this good or that. They just all had a great time and played/sang great.

-I will say Dave sounded 10 times more powerful in real life than any video I've seen to date, even like Oakland 81. This means video does these guys 1/100th justice to the real live thing.

-Dave did 4 or 5 full on mid air round house jump kicks, the big ones.

-Dave got his mic stand caught in Eddies cord one time as he was moving to the front of the stage. He simply stopped where he was and didn't even look back, just kept singing (knowing exactly what was going on). He just patiently waited (about 4 seconds) for Eddie to untangle his stand. This was very close to Eddies set up btw, basically on it.

-During the beginning of Jamies Cryin, the bass and drum intro....during the end of that part Dave said "Edwards son!" They were all huddled around the drum kit at this point btw. At which Eddie gave the most absolute priceless proud father look directly at Wolf. It was very short but probably the most emotionally powerful moment of the night. It was something that hardly anyone would have seen.

-Panama seemed to get the biggest reaction from the crowd.

-The crowd really liked the less deep cuts (one would only figure that though). They loved Panama, Jump, I'll Wait, Runnin With the Devil, and Pretty Woman to name a couple. Of course, the more well known tunes to the average Joe.

-The group no doubt fed off the crowd, who drowned out and actually finished a verse for Dave on Ice Cream Man at the end. He just stepped back and let the crowd finish then pointed out with a giganto smile saying "you're the best!". I haven't kept up with the reviews from the past 3 weeks (to cleanse my pallette), but I don't remember him doing this in previous shows.

-Eddie smoked one cigarette the entire show that I could see. Could see him off stage during Alex's solo.

-Dave was smiling and having a great time (as they all were) even when he didn't need to be. I mean that during times like low lights on the stage during intros or between songs I could still see him with my binoculars just loving it. He really has a thing for music and the groove, as they all do, and just love doing it.

-Eddie wore white long pants the entire time

-Eddie played all white, striped black and yellow, striped white and black and red, and Frankie from what I saw.

-Eddie went over to hug Al after the first "ending" of the concert but Al had already turned to exit stage right. Eddie did a shrug and chuckle to himself as he turned and left the other side. Again a super small thing that no one would really notice as he only took a single step in that direction. The ends clearly aren't scripted or anything as to who hugs who and when or whatever.

-These guys were so good, it makes me cringe to think how good they were say at the Oakland '81 concert. The one thing that they have down way better these days is playing the songs correctly and singing everything correctly. Trade off right? Less acrobatics and stage frenzy, so the level of musicianship goes up for the band. So the ultimate would be the early 80's concerts where they happen to really be paying attention to playing and singing the songs correctly. Those specific concerts must have been jaw dropping.

-I will go again in a heartbeat.

-I have no idea what the reviewer from the seattle times was talking about when he said they had to get revved up. That's insane and writer jibberish just trying to make a story exciting. They came out and blasted the entire arena from the beginning.

-Dave motioned twice to have a tech come out and tape a mic cord down coming from Wolf's stand. He motioned once at the cord, which was only half of around 20 feet taped down (first half from mic stand wasn't). About 10 minutes later he motioned again. Tech came right out and taped it down. No doubt don't want to be tripping on those things

-I looked at Wolf about 4 times the whole night. His playing was very noticable at certain points to me as a non musician, and seemed really good. I thought about Mike twice and wondered what it would be like. I thought it would be good, but just knew it wouldn't be the same. This is the reason. Wolf does not give energy to the performance himself. Rather he gives his dad REAL energy by just being there. In turn Eddie gives Dave his energy because Eddie is so happy. And so comes the real energy of the concert, as it always has, from Dave and Eddie, all stemming from Wolf just by his presence as Ed's son.

Could a mod clean up some of the non review posts? Thanks.
    Last edited by xk319; 12.04.07 at 02:10 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

To show what I mean. They were just great, better than I've seen in any other show thus far.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Honolulu Baby" haha
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found a YouTube video of Eddie's solo at Key Arena, for those following reviews and tidbits from state to state. All of the usual crutches were there in Eddie's solo, but there was a lot more improvisation than I've seen out of him in a while.

Eddie's Solo in Seattle

Klicken Hier!
    Put down the Cheetos, log off Mr. Skin, stop arguing like a bunch of old ladies, and GO OUTSIDE!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Honolulu Baby" haha
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ha! Jinx!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

06.02.08 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got downtown at 2:30 during the biggest rainstorm I have ever seen (and I am from Seattle). Went to EMP bar and then museum. Worked our way up Mercer street through two other bars and went into Key at 8:00.
    Place was buzzing and SRO. Older crowd, everybody just happy to be there. Section 215 and 11 rows up. I do not have lots of details , but Roth just sounded awesome and I am his biggest voice skeptic. Sound was best it could be for the big bowl that Key is. Band tight and having fun. Crowd was louder than band at times. Jamies Cryin was a huge monster sing a long. Eddies solo OK but Cathedral was really soft and sounded strange.
    This was a classic rock act at the top of their game. Hope they keep it up. Now its like the day after Xmas. What now!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

I forgot something! Eddie used one of Al's drumsticks on his guitar at one point. Think it might have been after Al's solo? Can't remember exactly when, but he walked up to the drum kit and leaned in and grabbed a stick from Al's right hand. I don't remember him doing this before in other concerts (anyone?). He used it like a huge tapping stick . He then slowly walked to the edge of the stage, held it out like a waiter holding a platter of food and then tossed it to the front rows, and mayhem ensued.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.23.16 @ 04:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone keeps asking me to post a picture of the two shirts I got from the Seattle Key Arena show. For whatever reason, I'm not allowed to put any attachements in these posts?

So, I can describe them as first, it's a long sleve Jersey from the 1979 World tour, same shirt picture only more colorfuly, updated for 2007. The price was listed as $55.00 at the booth.

The second shirt is the Classic 1984 tour Eagle shirt, also updated for 2007. It's price was listed as $35.00 for everything up to size XL. The 2 XL & 3 XL were listed as $40.00.

Both shirts are not thinly made as was reported with the other tour shirts. As for sizes, these seem to be right on? So if you wear an XL normally, you will not need to get a larger size.

As for the pictures......if somebody can help to get them uploaded here, let me know. I'll gladly e-mail them to you. Thanks
    If you can't do it in a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans under one lightbulb, you can't do it!

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.
    David Lee Roth...

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

01.15.17 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 190 Times in 77 Posts

Premium Member

Please delete... Didn't mean to post here.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Honolulu Baby" haha
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    I forgot something! Eddie used one of Al's drumsticks on his guitar at one point. Think it might have been after Al's solo? Can't remember exactly when, but he walked up to the drum kit and leaned in and grabbed a stick from Al's right hand. I don't remember him doing this before in other concerts (anyone?). He used it like a huge tapping stick . He then slowly walked to the edge of the stage, held it out like a waiter holding a platter of food and then tossed it to the front rows, and mayhem ensued.
    No, Wolfgang was behind the kit with Al and it was he who handed the stick to Ed.

My friend at the show with me saw a CA show, the Portland show and Seattle and said they had Wolf behind like that at the other shows. I didn't get clarification on whether or not Ed had played Dulcimer with his guitar like that at the others though.