Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Brad Pitt announces plan to build houses in New Orleans

Brad Pitt's N.O. housing efforts have Lower 9th Ward in the pink

Actor Brad Pitt is scheduled to announce plans to create more than 100 affordable, ecologically sound homes in the Lower 9th Ward. This weekend, big pink houses were installed in the flood-ravaged neighorhood as symbolic stand-ins for those homes.

Ivory Porter Webb was first perplexed, then giddy with excitement, on Saturday afternoon, just before dusk.

As she drove across the Claiborne Avenue bridge over the Industrial Canal, she noticed something peculiar.

A few blocks in the Lower 9th Ward, along the levee from North Derbigny to North Galvez streets, were studded with odd, very large pink blocks, as big as houses, 100 or more of them, with pink roof shapes lying beside them on empty lots.

The empty lots had been a neighborhood until they were scoured by surging floodwaters after the levees broke during Hurricane Katrina, then were scoured again months later by bulldozers after the houses that had stood there were deemed unsalvageable. Now big pink blocks stood everywhere.

The pink blocks look stark and strange in the otherwise brown and olive landscape, like enormous, blank Monopoly houses. They could be mistaken for art, as if Christo, the master environmental artist who wraps whole buildings, bridges and even islands in garish fabric, had been at work.

But the pink blocks may be more than artistic. They may be symbolic stand-ins for real houses to come.

On Monday at 11 a.m., actor Brad Pitt is scheduled to stand in the surrealistic scene and announce details of his "Make it Right" project, a plan to create more than 100 affordable, ecologically sound homes where the pink shapes now stand.

On Nov. 9, at the Clinton Global Initiative in Manhattan, Pitt pledged $5 million to the project, challenging others to match his largess. Producer and environmental philanthropist Steve Bing contributed $5 million. A team of architects led by John Williams of New Orleans began designing the homes.

"Oh my God, all these pink roofs," Webb recalled saying as she crossed the bridge. "What are they?" she asked herself. "Let me see."

She stopped to investigate, parking in the strange construction site, where scores of workers were assembling metal scaffolding to form the house shapes, then attaching heavy pink tarpaulin skins with cable ties.

Forklifts rumbled here and there. A few spectators wandered between the tentlike structures. A pair of children played peek-a-boo from inside one pink house as their mother watched from nearby.

The mother looked familiar to Webb. Slender, dark-haired, with high cheekbones and full lips, wearing an elegant black shift -- it was actress Angelina Jolie.

Webb took a chance and approached the star and the handful of people around her, including a large, attentive man who hovered a few yards away. Webb told Jolie again and again how appreciative she was for her and her husband's continued interest in New Orleans.

In 2006, Pitt joined with the environmental organization Global Green to announce plans to build affordable housing in another Lower 9th Ward neighborhood, Holy Cross, where work on the first model home continues.

In January, Pitt and Jolie bought a house in New Orleans where the family stayed during the filming of Pitt's film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which is due out in 2008.

Now Pitt and Jolie are back, lending their considerable cachet to another Crescent City project.

As Webb said later, "It is really nice. They're showing us they ain't forgot about us."

As their conversation ended, Webb apologized to Jolie for having intruded. "I don't want you think I'm a lunatic," she said.

But Jolie invited her to a party Monday night, Webb said as she walked to her car, excitedly recounting her celebrity encounter.

Jolie caught up with Pitt a half-block closer to the river as he was bicycling around the surrealistic site in a gray sweatshirt and cap. He posed for a photograph with an admirer and watched the children splash their feet in a puddle. Then he peddled off.

As the sun set, a group of workers gathered in an empty part of the strange development. With a collective groan they lifted one of the enormous pink blocks. It settled smoothly and silently on a barren lot.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

saw this on the today show this morning...the guy has a genuine heart...if this is what he wants to channel his energy and money into i hope he achieves what he wants.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

A damned bit more compassionate and effective than this self serving idiot's effort:

Good for Pitt.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Gotta respect Pitt for that. Great story.

He's still a fucking idiot for choosing Jolie over Jennifer Aniston, but at least he's an idiot with noble intentions.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    A damned bit more compassionate and effective than this self serving idiot's effort:

Good for Pitt.
    Nice photoshop job. That's funny.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Way to go Mr Pitt!

"What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's great anytime people step up to the plate and help the less fortunate. So, good job Brad. That said, as a person who lived in the city of New Orleans for 30 years, what really concerns me is the ever growing population of people who can't take care of themselves. I have some good friends on the police department down here and the stories they relay are truely unbelieveable. Many people in the city are not educated and are financially poor. I'm sure that there are many different reasons for this. Yet, this group of individuals continues to procreate at an extremely high rate. Brad and one hundred others like him are not going to be able to build enough houses to keep up with this situation. We need smart welfare solutions that do not reward irresponsible behavior. As usual, the politicians have let us down. Without an incentive for people to do the right thing, this problem will continue to grow exponentially and the responsible people of this city will continue to be overwhelmed. We can't continue to just absord so many people that are not capable of being independent. We need to do the "feel good stuff" that Brad does, but more importantly we need substantive changes that will change the behavior patterns of many of these people. Until then, we will be plagued by high crime rates, poor education, and low quality of life. If you have any doubts, just log on to one of the local news sites(wwl.com, wwltv.com) and monitor it for a few weeks. I promise you will not believe it could be so screwed up!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

I live just a few miles from where Brad grew up (his family is still in the area) and he's always struck me as a pretty decent guy. His brother is very cool as well.

Sad thing is, he has to sneak in and out of town to visit his family. The locals are nuts over the guy. He actually premiered "Meet Joe Black" here a few years back and darn near caused a riot. Amazing.

A great thing he and Angie are doing in New Orleans, though. They could just horde all their millions (like most other stars), but they're actually using it to help others. Well done.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Couple observations here:

1) Could Angelina just be looking for another poor area to adopt another child?

2) Maybe those skeletons wrapped in pink paper are the "eco-friendly" homes.

In all seriousness though, bravo to Brad and Angelina. While it's nice to focus on the plight in Central America and Africa, sometimes we lose sight of the plight happening in our own backyards.

It's nice to see people doing something outstanding with their money.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

In all seriousness though, bravo to Brad and Angelina. While it's nice to focus on the plight in Central America and Africa, sometimes we lose sight of the plight happening in our own backyards.

It's nice to see people doing something outstanding with their money.
    I completely agree with you!

While I'm not a Brad Pitt fan like most women, I truly applaud him for what he's doing.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I have to applaud Brad Pitt's efforts. Sadly, these houses will more than likely be trashed by the end of the decade. Not by another hurricane, but by their residents.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah I hear the cops won't even patrol the area for safety reasons. That doesn't bode well for these homes from being vandalized.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.