Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Sperm Donor Ordered to Pay Child Support for 18-Year-Old

December 2, 2007 -- A sperm donor who sent gifts signed "Dad" to his biological son has been slapped with a child-support order, 18 years after helping his friend get pregnant.

The Nassau County man donated his sperm to a work colleague, and included his name on the child's birth certificate, saying it would give the boy an identity, courts documents revealed.

He then blurred the lines between donor and full-time father by sending money, presents and cards signed "Dad" and "Daddy," and having phone chats with the now college-bound teen.

But the man's goodwill backfired: A court ruling says he is now liable for financial support of the 18-year-old, who lives with his mother in Oregon.

"It really is no good deed goes unpunished," said the man's lawyer, Deborah Kelly of Potrush and Daab in Garden City.

"When people do things they think are being done with good intentions and there is an agreement and one of the party reneges on the agreement, it is certainly disconcerting."

She said the time lapse was "unusual."

"He was assured that he would have no responsibility on his part and of course 18 years has elapsed where there hasn't been responsibility," she said.

"He did not anticipate this would happen now, when the child is almost an adult, that the mother would come forward for child support."

She said her client had requested a DNA test, "because we have no concrete evidence he is the father."

Nassau County Family Court judge Ellen Greenberg ruled Nov. 16 against a paternity test, saying it would have a traumatic effect on the child.

The child signed an affidavit stating that he has "never known anyone other than [the man] to be his father," according to court documents.

If payments were to go ahead, the child support would be determined based on the mother's earning capacity; the reported income of her partner, who is also a doctor; and the father's income.

Because of privacy concerns, all parties remain unnamed.

The mother is identified in court papers as P.D., the alleged father as S.K., and their son as K.K.

The donor was a married doctor at a Nassau County hospital when he donated his sperm to a hospital resident and her female partner in the late 1980s.

At the time of the boy's birth in 1989, the man orally agreed he would not have any rights or benefits in the child's upbringing.

The father said he had contact with the child from his birth until 1993, when the lesbian couple and his son moved to Oregon, according to court documents.

From then the contact dropped to seven phone calls in the past 15 years and one meeting for a few hours three years ago.

Calls by The Post to the mother's attorney, Jeffrey Herbst, were not returned.

About 1 million American children are the product of sperm donors - the majority of them being anonymous fathers - with 30,000 more born each year.

Court rulings over parental rights from artificial insemination remain murky. Similar cases across the country have varied.

The Washington State Court of Appeals ruled in 2004 that a donor isn't bound to pay child support, unless he and the mother have a signed contract.

But earlier this year, a Pennsylvania judge held a sperm donor liable for support, noting he had spent thousands of dollars on toys and clothing for two children that he helped a lesbian couple conceive.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ouch. Now there's a can of worms thats been open. How many other mom's are going to go after the donors who did little more than wank off in a cup?

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This likely had more to do with how he made sure his name was on the birth certificate and has attempted to fill a role in the kid's life than anything related to an anonymous donation.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    This likely had more to do with how he made sure his name was on the birth certificate and has attempted to fill a role in the kid's life than anything related to an anonymous donation.
    agreed 100%

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree, he should have seen that one coming..no pun intended.

That's why it should always be an anonymous through a third party. That way nobody can come looking for you without your permission.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Am I missing something here? Why would an 18yo need child support?
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    That's why it should always be an anonymous through a third party. That way nobody can come looking for you without your permission.
    No one SHOULD come looking for you in a donor/recipient arrangement. If you dont have the monetary means to raise a kid, then WTF are you doing inseminating yourself???
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Situations in life change.

As for the three adults involved here, there's got to be something other than money going on. Both parents are doctors, as is the father, and the kid is 18. Money probably isn't the issue.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I think this guy had it coming. (Yeah, that's funny but let's move on.)
    He wanted to have all the fun of being a father without any of the hassles.
    If you want to be a father, then man up and do it 24/7. If you want to be spearm in a cup, then shut up.

Someday, I want to donate some sperm so, when I give the cup back to the nurse and she says 'Thank you', I can say, "My pleasure!" bada-bump

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

WOW!!! Now I am afraid to donate my old clothes to Goodwill. Afraid someone will come looking for me with the dry cleaning and laundry bill.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I agree with Bullwinkle. He crossed the line by sending the gifts.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I agree with Bullwinkle. He crossed the line by sending the gifts.
    I agree to an extent...however -

The mom was well within her rights to intercept them and prevent that goofy crap from happening.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Can of worms is right. The frozen pop shoulda stayed the hell away. And why now with the child support crap if the kid is already 18???
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Yep.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so if the donor crossed some line by giving the little brat some gifts and talking to him on the phone and shit, do complete strangers, boyfriends of single moms etc cross that line by trying to fill that same role or just be nice to some chick's kid?

This is a retarded story. There are no blurry lines here...just a bitch taking advantage of a poorly documented agreement and a guy getting screwed for being nice.

Someone whispered in her ear that she had a good chance of contorting the situation and getting some money out of the deal...just another case of bad people taking advantage of a court system for personal grudges and personal gains...