Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anyone recommend me a recorder?

Hey gang-
    Was wondering if anyone would recommend a good, cheap (cheap as in affordable), recorder? My dad wants to buy me one for Xmas/my birthday, and we were looking around at which was is the easiest to use, and gives me the best bang for the buck. The Boss seems to be the best choice so far...any suggestions or help is gladly appreciated! -Red43jes
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Hey gang-
    Was wondering if anyone would recommend a good, cheap (cheap as in affordable), recorder? My dad wants to buy me one for Xmas/my birthday, and we were looking around at which was is the easiest to use, and gives me the best bang for the buck. The Boss seems to be the best choice so far...any suggestions or help is gladly appreciated! -Red43jes
    what do you need it to do? How many tracks?

For my money I go with Tascam every time over Boss...I have the DP01FXCD and I couldn't be more happy with it. 40 gig hard drive, built in burner, built in fx and best of all one knob-one function set up. The Boss units are just like all the others wear there are menus to scroll through, buttons that serve the purpose of multiple functions, i just can't really get into that. I like having a fader for ever track and eq for every track and other "old fashioned" features. The tascam has a big brother; the TASCAM 2488mkII 24-Track Digital Portastudio Recording Workstation and it's quite the bad ass as well...

The Boss unit is really good and was, in my opinion, the best of its kind until Tascam unveiled their new line of digital portastudios. Their gear is just handsdown the most intuitive, easy to use, highest quality gear out there and they have a great customer service/tech support crew. Every time I've shot off an email asking for advice or a question on how to use the unit, I get a quick response, very informative and polite. Great company all the way around.

here's some links:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-2...24-i1172349.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-D...87-i1125905.gc

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

kind of a loaded question, because the price and options very greatly.
    I assume you mean multi-track, but depends on what you want.

I would suggest digital, not tape format.
    record 4 tracks at a time and mix down 8, and 2 xlr inputs.
    I like the tascam and foxtex stuff.

if you have a nice computer, I added a PCI card with 10 inputs (2 xlr) and 10 ouputs for $200 and FL studio producer for $150 (you must get the producer edition to record live).
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    what do you need it to do? How many tracks?

For my money I go with Tascam every time over Boss...I have the DP01FXCD and I couldn't be more happy with it. 40 gig hard drive, built in burner, built in fx and best of all one knob-one function set up. The Boss units are just like all the others wear there are menus to scroll through, buttons that serve the purpose of multiple functions, i just can't really get into that. I like having a fader for ever track and eq for every track and other "old fashioned" features. The tascam has a big brother; the TASCAM 2488mkII 24-Track Digital Portastudio Recording Workstation and it's quite the bad ass as well...

The Boss unit is really good and was, in my opinion, the best of its kind until Tascam unveiled their new line of digital portastudios. Their gear is just handsdown the most intuitive, easy to use, highest quality gear out there and they have a great customer service/tech support crew. Every time I've shot off an email asking for advice or a question on how to use the unit, I get a quick response, very informative and polite. Great company all the way around.

here's some links:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-2...24-i1172349.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-D...87-i1125905.gc
    The Tascam is WAY cool!
    The thing is, I want CHEAP. I really could go the route of modding my PC, but I'm hardly a virtuoso at this point. I want to just record guitar tracks, so that I may practice solos...The Boss I'm looking at didn't look overly complicated...heres a link to what I had in mind: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-?sku=241152
    Again, I'm not buying and my dear old dad won't drop a ton of money on this, which is fine by me. Thanks for the suggestions though, guys. They are cool! -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

for the price range, I would normally sugest the tascam dp-01

but if you are more looking for a pratice tool then good recording, then you will want a drum machine, and your choice has one built in, which will save you a lot of money...

no idea of the quality though.

if you can get some chaep method of playing drum tracks on your computer, then I would go with a line6 tone port.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have a Boss BR-864 and is is great. I recommend it.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have a computer and any type of modern sound card, download AUDACITY. Upgrade the sound card or the computer or the recording software as you go along and its as cheap as you want it to be.

Dedicated recorders, while extremely useful, will eventually show their limitations. I started recording on a TASCAM TSR-8 analog unit. It was great but of course bouncing tracks and dealing with those limitations ... I outgrew it quickly. Realizing I needed a DAW, I reached for what is now Adobe Audition.

Its what worked for me. Might work for you.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Tascam is WAY cool!
    The thing is, I want CHEAP. I really could go the route of modding my PC, but I'm hardly a virtuoso at this point. I want to just record guitar tracks, so that I may practice solos...The Boss I'm looking at didn't look overly complicated...heres a link to what I had in mind: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-?sku=241152
    Again, I'm not buying and my dear old dad won't drop a ton of money on this, which is fine by me. Thanks for the suggestions though, guys. They are cool! -Red43j
    BOSS makes good shit all around, hands down. However, even though the BR sounds nice - and you're more looking for something to incorporate into your practice regimen - something with a larger footprint might be a little easier to maneuver - especially if it's your first foray into the digital MTR's.

If I were you, I would also check out Zoom's stuff as well. They make some good units too in a few different price ranges. I can't attest to Boss, but if you are looking for one equipped with a drum machine, Zoom's drum tracks sound pretty damn good.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out the Zoom recorders.
    They have built-in effects, drum machines, CD burners, etc ... everything you need, and the sound quality is very good.

JMO

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'd recommend getting a DAW like cubase or protools, because in the long run they are WAY more useful.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tascam stuff is always nice. I stil have an 8 track reel to reel that was great, but its broken. Built in mixer & everything. Sad but true.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey gang-
    Check out the mbox, and mbox mini, learn pro tools, get good at it and you have a second skill to fall back on if you need it

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would recommend some sort of computer interface. I have the Lexicon Omega, very easy to use, I did send mine back for warranty repair tho, so I can't give it a loud endorsement. But I find a computer interface is vastly superior to any all-in-one box.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to all the posted!
    I talked with dear ol dad and we decided on a Tascam practice amp. Has the features I'm looking for right now-something that will make life easier breaking down songs! Heres a link:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mbo?sku=483000

I'll review after I've gotten to tweak it a few times! Thanks again for the great suggestions. I'm thinking after awhile, I may do what most of you said, and mod my PC to some more memory THEN get some software for recording! -Red43j