Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Philadelphia narcotics officers are upset with a candy made by Hershey

Philadelphia narcotics officers are upset that a candy made by Hershey looks like crack cocaine. The cops say the packages of breath mints look almost identical to drugs sold on the street.

Critics say Ice Breakers Pacs look too much like tiny heat-sealed bags of illegal powdered drugs, like crack or heroin.

Hershey released a statement that says in part, "the product is clearly labeled with product identification, ingredients and nutritional information and is clearly branded and icebreakers item. The Ice Breakers logo appears on each individual mint for easy identification."

Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector William Blackburn says he's been in narcotics for most of his career and thought the pouches were the real thing.

Ice Breakers are nickel-sized mint strips sealed around a powdered sweetener that dissolve in the mouth.

A company spokesman would not say if the company has plans to change the product's appearance.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Hershey Phases Out Mints Cops Criticized
    Thursday, January 24, 2008

HERSHEY, Pa. — The Hershey Co. is halting production of Ice Breakers Pacs in response to criticism that the mints look too much like illegal street drugs, the company's president and chief executive officer said Thursday.

Hershey CEO David J. West disclosed the decision during a conference call about the company's newly released fourth-quarter earnings report.

Ice Breakers Pacs, which first hit store shelves in November, are nickel-sized dissolvable pouches with a powdered sweetener inside. The pouches come in blue or orange and bear the Ice Breakers logo.

Members of Philadelphia's police narcotics squad said the mints closely resemble tiny heat-sealed bags used to sell powdered street drugs. They charged that the consequences could be serious if, for example, a child familiar with the mints found a package of cocaine.

"Some community and law-enforcement leaders have expressed concern" about the shape of pouch and the Xylitol sweetener inside, and about the possibility of the mints being mistaken for illegal substances, West said.

"We are sensitive to these viewpoints and thus have made the decision that we will no longer manufacture Ice Breakers Pacs," he said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i heard about this a while back...i laughed at it. It reminded me of the chewing gum I used to get as a kid, the kind that came in bags like chewing tobacco. They also had the candy cigarettes and little cannisters that had gum in it that looked like chewing tobacco cans. That was the big part of the appeal. I think the big appeal for this candy would be that it looked like little bags of blow.

I don't see a real issue here other than kids would pretend to be passing baggies of coke back and forth hoping that their teacher would make a big stink about it and they could say "it's candy!" and have a laugh about it.

that's the kind of shit kids are SUPPOSED to be doing.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i heard about this a while back...i laughed at it. It reminded me of the chewing gum I used to get as a kid, the kind that came in bags like chewing tobacco. They also had the candy cigarettes and little cannisters that had gum in it that looked like chewing tobacco cans. That was the big part of the appeal. I think the big appeal for this candy would be that it looked like little bags of blow.
    BIG LEAGUE CHEW was the shit! When I was a kid you could get these great bubblegum cigars or these god-awful, chalk tasting candy cigarettes as well...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    BIG LEAGUE CHEW was the shit! When I was a kid you could get these great bubblegum cigars or these god-awful, chalk tasting candy cigarettes as well...

damn straight!

and we ALL acted like we were chewing snuff just like the big leaguers. We'd wad that shit up in one cheek pretending we were guys like lenny dykstra. I'd also "pack" my god awful chalky candy cigarettes and I'd chew the gum cigars...pretending you're doing unhealthy things, and actually doing unhealthy things is part of being a child damn it!

Last Online

damn straight!

and we ALL acted like we were chewing snuff just like the big leaguers. We'd wad that shit up in one cheek pretending we were guys like lenny dykstra. I'd also "pack" my god awful chalky candy cigarettes and I'd chew the gum cigars...pretending you're doing unhealthy things, and actually doing unhealthy things is part of being a child damn it!
    Bro, you simply must check out this thread:
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/i-wa...495#post930495

I just dug it up, andI think you'll enjoy it.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

it's all gateway candy...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I don't see a real issue here other than kids would pretend to be passing baggies of coke back and forth hoping that their teacher would make a big stink about it and they could say "it's candy!" and have a laugh about it.

that's the kind of shit kids are SUPPOSED to be doing.
    The only difference here is that the fake cigarettes and fake 'backy weren't fake illegal items. Cops have enough to worry about than to decide whether that bag some punk-ass is holding is breath mints or crack cocaine.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    The only difference here is that the fake cigarettes and fake 'backy weren't fake illegal items. Cops have enough to worry about than to decide whether that bag some punk-ass is holding is breath mints or crack cocaine.
    Lena gets her son ready for school
    She says "on these streets, Charles
    You've got to understand the rules
    If an officer stops you
    Promise me you'll always be polite,
    that you'll never ever run away
    Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight

Is it a gun, is it a knife
    Is it a wallet, this is your life
    It ain't no secret
    It ain't no secret
    No secret my friend
    You can get killed just for living in
    Your American skin

AMERICAN SKIN (41 SHOTS)-Bruce Springsteen
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    well a cop definitely has bigger problems if he can't tell the difference between breath mints and crack.

should we stop selling rock candy while we're at it?

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hey, in Philly the cops shoot you if youre holding an iron (true story), so I dont know if Id wanna take the risk of having crack candy on me
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 537 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

well a cop definitely has bigger problems if he can't tell the difference between breath mints and crack.
    Spoken like someone who's never been there or done that.

Either have I, which is why I respect the word of those who have - if they say it's a problem, I don't have the experience to say it's not. When you're willing to put on 40+ lbs of vest and equipment and drag your ass out in 90* or -10* weather at all hours of the day, and risk getting shot by someone you weren't expecting to pull out a gun, just to make a living, that's when you'll be able to make stupid ass comments in a credible manner about shit like this.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post

Either have I, which is why I respect the word of those who have - if they say it's a problem, I don't have the experience to say it's not. When you're willing to put on 40+ lbs of vest and equipment and drag your ass out in 90* or -10* weather at all hours of the day, and risk getting shot by someone you weren't expecting to pull out a gun, just to make a living, that's when you'll be able to make stupid ass comments in a credible manner about shit like this.
    Yup.

broke, you know I love you like a brother, and brothers will definetely disagree from time to time. Such is the case here.

jrk5150 is absolutely correct: There are too many variables in place in the split second some decisions need to be made by police officers today. And I'm taliking about all cops, from the trigger happy lunatics with disturbing chips on their shoulders to the measured, thoughtful and respectfully careful. It's a seemingly thankless, impossible job to attempt in the first place, and anything that makes life easier for these men and women is surely a welcome thing.
    George Bernard Shaw

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

It's a mentality thing more than anything that the police and new mayor are trying to change in Philadelphia. I think it's great personally. The Police here have a tough job these days, so anything they can do to help our community I'm fine with it.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post

there are plenty of other ways to make a living...the fact that they choose to do that is their business and doesn't win them any brownie points. I'm not going to swear blind allegiance or give them a blank check to cash when it comes to having end-all-be-all insight into anything. Cops are just as prone to being completely selfish, idiotic, self-absorbed, racist, narrow-minded, stupid, etc as the rest of humanity is.

I stand by the fact that a little packet of candy is not going to cause anyone any harm. Boohoo for them if they have to ask a kid if something is a breath mint. What about the breath strips? Those could be cut up and made to look like tabs of acid...should be we ban that? A cops job is SUPPOSED to be hard. We're not supposed to live our lives so as to make their jobs easier. To what ends are we supposed to accommodate them?