Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default *** REVIEWS Portland 12/1 ***

Reviews only. All other posts will be deleted.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Just got back. I had a fucking blast. Great show.

Best songs

And the cradle
    Romeo Delight
    Mean Streets
    I'm the one.

Worst
    Jump(fucking terrible)
    Pretty woman(Just boring after all the cool songs before it)
    Ain't talkin bout love.

Alex: a good. Great solo. His fills get better each tour. Still the best player in this band.

Wolfgang: He can play. His stage presence is better then I expected. He's no Mike and looks weird with the band, I would rather not see him in it, but did good.

Dave: I have always been the biggest Van Hagar fan on the planet, but I will give him credit. Very good. I saw him on the sam and dave tour and he sucked ass. Tonight was a completely different singer. In fact, I liked him better tonight then I ever have.

Eddie: Ten time better the the 2004 tour. Played great until ATBL. That sucked, and jump was bad all around. Rest of the show, amazing. Mean Street was better then ever. Great improve on Atomic Punk. His tone killed. He played a sweet looking new White Wolfgang. His solo was most good. Some parts were weird. NOt bad, just weird. He is a different guitarist then he used to be, and I still think of the three tours I have seen VH on he played the best in 98, but is energy was the best tonight. Fun to watch as a vh lover.

One weird thing though. Dave seemed pissed at the end. During Jump he dragged the inflatable Mic across the stage and just threw it in the corner. Then while the rest of the band bowed he looked like he gave Ed the cold shoulder and just stormed off stage. Maybe I am reading too much into this, just seemed weird. The show was great until the last two songs. Something was up there because the energy Died.

Kick ass though. A must see.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting to see your take on it. I 100% agree that Mean Street was fucking great and a highlight of the show. I also thought Jamie's Cryin' kicked it into another gear. The second half of the show, in general, felt a little less mechanical to me. I thought Wolfgang sounded fantastic (and he seemed nicely pumped up in the mix, too), but he was a wet blanket and brought my enthusiasm down a couple notches. I'm sorry, but he just has so little presence and doesn't at all look like he's having a blast the way the rest do. If Mike had been up there, all four of them would've been bouncing off the walls and smiling big and I would've, too. As good as Wolf sounded, watching him made me feel a step removed from the band. I think Wolf recognizes that it's really everyone else's show and so he wants to defer to them, but his low-key manner ends up looking much more conspicuous. He needs to get it up and run around with the rest of them. Wolf sounded better than I expected him to and yet I missed Mike more than I expected to, which is kind of an odd situation, isn't it?

I didn't see the stuff you're talking about with Dave at the end. And I'm not sure what you didn't like about Jump. I'm not super hot on the song, so maybe I'm less critical of it.

Ed's tone was indeed fantastic and I liked his frequent wah licks more than I expected to (it was especially cool when Wolf hit the pedal). I thought Dave's tale before Ice Cream Man was cool, too. Maybe the most personal moment in a somewhat arena-stiff act.

What this show most left me feeling is that I really want a new record from this line-up. Reading the direction of the wind, I'm skeptical about our odds of getting one.

Really good show. Not the greatest ever and some mixed feelings, but I'm glad I went.
    Last edited by Special Plans; 12.02.07 at 12:48 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Fuckinahhh man.

Huh?? Can't hear ya!!

Man, I was pretty surprised at how completely enamored I was, almost star struck really, for the first few songs they played. I couldn't believe I was watching this band together again. Cool points were out the window and I was all caught up in the game, man. I just had to take a sec to enjoy the moment and enjoy the look and feel of a packed house, they way it should be, for a kick ass halen gig. I could pick at this and that and the other thing I guess, but fuck that. This was a live show. Nothings going to be "perfect". What I saw was four guys that came to town to WORK their ASSES off tonight for us, and I mean they WORKED. DLR was just a beast. Totally ferocious. Hot damn was that guy wired tight. I honestly didn't know he could be THAT good. ...wow. Eddie was night and day from 04' of course....can't get much worse than that in my book. I don't even know why they bothered touring then. Al actually looked like he's aged a bit. Wofgang...whatever. If you can't say anything nice....lol. Nah, he was just an awkward kid I guess. Just weird in VH to me. He had some nice play with Ed, screwing around with his strings and he did a cymbal crash on Uncle Al's drums once. The gimmee a break line was so monotone and typical teenagerous. haha. I missed Mike, but don't get me wrong. This show really couldn't have been any better. I thought the sound was relatively good actually. I was about 60 yds from Eds side in the 100 level. I brought my Hearo's but took them out after half of yrgm. Everything sounded pretty good with them in EXCEPT ed's rig. Fuck that. Lost them quick. In 04' I'm convinced they just wanted to make one big wall of blurry sound to cover up eds fuck ups. No need for that this time. He kept pointing at his wrist in the solo like he's saying "hey, I'd play more for ya, but I don't have more time". Screw that buddy! You're the boss man up there! ....damn, I thought his solo was really good. Just when I start to get to be able to play some of that eruption part after the first pause on the 5th/7th fret/open G, he goes and blows me away with a run an octave up on the neck....pretty slick. Sounded great.

It's been mentioned before, but the intensity of this show is just really amazing. I can't emphasize that enough. It's just blow after blow after blow man. They don't stop for almost what? 2.5 hours? It kicked my ass big time baby.

Somebody said in another review that Daves interlude was a drag, momentum killer. No way. Not to me. Frankly, I needed to get my breath back anyways! He told a great little tale about suburban living, something about a dart board, a chip in the wall and a pink floyd album. lol, whatever. Idunno, it was cool/funny/and totally Dave. Loved it, and Ice Cream Man just jammed...duh.

The final bow was a little weird I guess with Dave going off over to stage right. I don't think it was intentional but it did kind of diss Eddie who had his hand up ready to high five and do a bow with him. Whatever, no big deal. Ed stayed out on stage fist pumping after the rest of the band took off. Really cool.

Again, it's been said before, but there really shouldnt' be any fence riders on this tour. Fucking go. If you read this site and ever considered yourself a fan, you just need to be there. Period. You're missing out on a really special evening if you don't. For whatever reason you don't, principle with Mike or whatever, get over it. You're going to be glad you did. I don't care what the tickets cost, that was really an amazing concert. Seriously one of the best I've ever been to.

Thanks for listening/reading.

P.S.- On a side note, it was kind of cool. I went to the chophouse with my cousin and met up with an OLD buddy from Junior High who had driven up with him from Medford. I have a picture of him from my 12th birthday party. That same year, I gave him his first Van Halen album for HIS birthday and that's what got him going on VH he says. Too funny. Here we are a couple decades plus later meeting up at the reunion tour after not seeing each other for at least 10 years or so.

Anyways, fastdodge, sorry we didn't get to hook up man. That sucks. I think I got my cell phone number too you too late. I was busy working out a babysitter thing and wasn't online when you posted that. Hope you had a ball though. I'm sure you did.

Peace out. Go see Van Halen. They're like, cool and stuff.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely worth seeing. I was on the fence after the press conference, but I'm glad I went. Here goes...

Dave: Spot on vocals. His voice was strong, he nailed the lyrics and ran the show. He must've hired a vocal coach (like a lot of high-profile singers have done), because he sounds amazingly good. I still think the reason he's not jumping around on stage as much (aside from being older) is that he's concentrating on getting the vocal delivery right. It works...he was incredible.

Al: Still to this day one of the best rock drummers there is. Yeah, the guy's looking a bit older, but you couldn't tell from his playing. He's lost nothing since the early days; in some ways, he sounds better.

Ed: Night and day better than '04. He missed a couple of cues and his playing was a little sloppy in ATBL, but other than that, he sounded really tight to my ears. I really like his tone, too. It's sort of a hybrid between his Brown Sound and his Hagar-era sound. His solo was a bit different than what I'd expected, but it was good. I was sure he'd blast through all of Eruption, but it isn't like we haven't all heard it a million times before.

Wolf: He's obviously a great musician, but I agree with the earlier post...it felt weird seeing/hearing him with the rest of the band onstage. If there was anything missing for me, it was the dynamic and chemistry of having Michael Anthony in the mix. I'm not bashing the kid...like I say, he really is talented.

On the positive side...

The sound was clear and at the right level this time. I'd brought ear plugs, but like seenbad said, didn't need them. After '04 (which was probably the loudest show I'd been to by any band), I was ready for a headache. But the volume was perfect. Although there were a couple of gems I'd have liked to have heard, I thought the set list was incredible. For the price of the tickets, you get a hell of a long show and it's one great song after another, and they're all executed REALLY well. Overall, the band looked and sounded even better than I'd expected.

On the negative side...

It was a bit on the mechanical side, as was said above. Aside from Dave's Ice Cream Man story, there's very little improvisation, in the lyrics, or the music. I also noticed the background vocals were almost too perfect. On Little Dreamer, it sounded precisely the same as the album. I don't know if they pipe in vocals, like people have posted, but on that song particularly, it sounded like it to me. Oh, and they need to tack another song onto the end of Jump for the encore. I know they're trying to end it with their #1, but it'd sound better to go out with a rocker.

I'm not sure if there was anything going on between Dave and Ed there at the end. They'd already taken one bow after ATBL, and Dave was facing the side of the stage; I think he just didn't see the rest of the band. But with these guys, I guess you never know!

Overall, very glad I went. The crowd around us were on their feet the entire show and you could hear people singing along to all of the songs. If I have the chance, I'll go again.
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Last Online

12.31.08 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so where do I even start with this? How about if I break it down, yeah.......that's what I will, do.

KGON Party

For those of you who do not live in this market, KGON is the Mac Daddy of Rock stations here in Portland. Their format is classic rock. So we ended up there around 5:30 PM and Dave (My friend) went to stand in line for a beer. I went over to the buffet table to get something to eat. After about thirty minutes, Dave finally shows up and sits down at the table with two beers and had a grimace on face. "Dude....16 fucking dollars for two beers and I didn't even get a BJ." Wow, that's pretty rich. So we sat there listening to Marty Party (KGON DJ) and it was pretty cool to see it live as he was on the air. Marty Party by the way is now officially old.

The Rose Garden

At 6:45 we decided to go into the Rose Garden and find our seats. I could not have been happier with our seats. We were just left of the stage with a full view and about halfway down. AWESOME! We were going to be about 30-40 yards from the band. I did not expect to be this close. Now my heart was racing and I couldn't wait for this show to begin.

Show Time

Back to our seats we go and as we were sitting down, the opening act started, (Ky-mani Marley) and he was really good and I enjoyed it. After he was done they took the stage apart and prepared for Van Halen. The lights were up and there was a big black Van Halen blimp flying around the Rose Garden and you could feel the electricity in the air grow as show time was near. The lights then went down and a roar ensued in the arena, it was Van Halen Time.

Bam, the Lights come up and Eddie Van Halen hits the opening chord for "You Really Got Me." And it was clear and perfect. Dave is behind the drum riser waiving this huge red flag and everybody in the arena came to their feet as the show commenced. I stood there and I was simply in awe as DLR started to sing. It was perfect and like Seenbad, I just could not believe what I was seeing and I tried to soak it all in. It was all very surreal. About halfway through the song they came to complete stop and the lights came up which illuminated the audience and all four members took a bow and the crowd went crazy. It was a very cool moment. After about 30 seconds, the lights go down, the stage lights come back up and off they go to give us a kick ass, in your fucking face Van Halen Concert.

The Players

Alex Van Halen. Good God can this guy play the drums. It's been so long since I have seen play live that I forgot how good this Cat is. He was a monster on the kit and played with a shitload of passion. Drum solo was very impressive.

Wolfgang Van Halen. He looked a bit out of place but the kid can flat out play the bass. There were plenty of moments during the show where he would go over to his Dad and play around with him. It was fun to see Eddie Van Halen smiling at his boy whenever he came over.

Eddie Van Halen. Eddie was AWESOME! He was crisp, pure and energetic as hell. He looked and sounded like the Eddie Van Halen of old and this was a very welcomed development. I honestly did not expect him to be as good as he was last night, he simply rocked his ass off and his tone was even better.

David Lee Roth. Dave is back! He took command of the stage, sang his freaking ass off and was just spot on perfect. What was missing however was the usual DLR antics. I was expecting him to stop in mid song and screech out..."I FORGOT THE FUCKING WORDS!" Didn't happen. He was on key during the entire show and had a big smile all through the show. Dave was, and I can not believe I am going to say this but he was um.....Mature. I know, I know...but it's true. I particularly enjoyed the little talk he gave us before Ice Cream Man. He was yapping about living in the suburbs in 72 and how he and his friend would play darts on a Dart Board which was underneath a Pink Floyd Poster and they were so messed up that they would miss the board. He further states that after a while they would turn on the Black lights and they would pretend they were the captain of the USS Enterprise because the small holes that the darts made in the wall looked like stars when the Black Light was on.

Eddie and Dave. They looked like they actually liked each other. Quite a few times Dave would be near Eddie and they would High Five each other. I honestly do not know if this was all staged but it looked genuine to me. I just hope it takes.

The Flow of the Show

If I had any complaints about the show what so ever, it was the flow. The first part of the show, the first hour if you will, was high energy, in your face Van Halen. Then they had the drum solo then the energy kind of died a little bit because of the songs they were playing. It was almost as if they were going 110 MPH then they hit the breaks for a bit. Then they really hit the breaks when they played "I'll Wait." I just feel that that song really had no place in the show. But they picked it back up again when they went into "Hot For Teacher" Which rocked by the way.

Worries

After the encore, something happened which made me think to myself, "Uh Oh". The Band ran to the front of the stage and Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang were waiting on DLR to come over and take a bow and Eddie had his arm extended for Dave But Dave gave a Thumbs up to the crowd and walked off. Everybody but Eddie Van Halen left the Stage and Eddie for a few more seconds stayed in the front of the stage giving everybody a Thumbs up and a couple of fist pumps and he finally left. I'm not quite sure what happened and I don't know if I am reading too much into it but it did cause a concern. Eddie looked a little surprised that Dave did not stay for the Thank You wave.

Final Thoughts.

Van Halen is back. The question is however, will they remain? I just don't know. They were as good as any band that I have seen live and the energy was simply amazing. If this is the last time, I'm cool with it because I saw a show last night that I thought I would never ever see and they flat out put on a great show. I cant even begin to tell you how good they sound. Half way through the show the G/F leans over and screamed in my ear, "It's an all out fucking assault!" I think that pretty much sums up the show.

So there it is. Best Concert I have ever seen? No. But it is in my top five. They were much better than the last time I saw them with DLR during the 1984 tour. Back then they were all over the place. It was like they were having a party on stage. It was cool and fun but last night was different. They played perfect Van Halen songs, they were not sloppy and it was crisp and clean.

If this is it, then they went out with a big BANG and I thank them for that. I can now die........in peace.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Great show, great performance by the whole band... Dave is definitely a better frontman than Hagar ever was in the band... Anyways, not gonna beat a dead horse. My bro, girl and I had a kickass time... Balls to the wall for two hours plus...

Like others have said, if your on the fence, GO!!!

I almost debated to try to find last minute tix for the Seattle show 'cause it was that good...

Lastly, sorry seen, hopefully if they tour next time or if I'm headin' down to Portland some weekend, we should hook up...

BTW, I don't think any vocals were "piped in" as many have claimed... They couldn't be that good at lip syncing...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA, and Humans Being
    Last Online

03.17.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Read Seenbad's review he is right on! This was without a doubt the best concert I have ever been to, I was blown away. I've seen Van Halen Three times prior to this show, twice with Sammy and once with Gary. I've also seen Dave solo three times. When I first spent $125 for crappy seats I thought it was BS. Last year I spent $45 to sit in the fifth row in a small casino in Tacoma to see DLR, and it was one of the best concert experiences of my life. Last night was worth every cent. I been a Van Halen Fan for years, but last night was the first time I got to really experience the Mighty Van Halen. Sammy has always been my favorite, but there is now doubt in my mind Van Halen is Dave's Band. Dave is defiantly the star of this show, he is singing better then ever and he has a stage presents is like no other!!!

The set list was great I wouldn't change a thing, Not really sure what Jeff’s problem with Jump and Pretty woman was, but I guess you can't please everyone. I'll wait was great, I always wanted to hear that song live, again not sure why everyone bashes those songs on here, but I didn't see anyone complaining at the show. I didn't think there were any slow moments, and believe me I was really needing one about half way into the show. I kind of wish I would have kept my empty beer cups.

I remember a thread talking about the audience being the missing element in this tour. I didn’t feel this was true in Portland, or at least the section I was in. It was standing room only and everyone seemed to be having a crazy ass time. I was Determined to hate Wolfgang, but he wasn’t bad, he’s no Mike, but he is damn good. Hopefully Wolfgang can find some kids his own age to play with by the next tour, I wouldn't mind if he was the opening act.

The worst thing about a Van Halen Show is knowing this may be the last time we get to see them live. Lets hope they can continue to get along, we could probably get another ten years of memories out of theses guys if they can just get along, get in the studio, and keep touring I‘m sure they can come up with at least one more hit to keep them touring for a few more years.

Thanks Van Halen!!!
    Last edited by rjs8484; 12.02.07 at 10:55 PM.
    Buy Now Pay Later

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Hell yeah dude. It was almost weird how much I enjoyed some of the more "boring" songs (especially I'll Wait). I've never liked that song much musically and outside of light listening....not really a guitar guys feast. I could always do without pretty woman, but I really enjoyed them last night. I guess it's maybe because I've never seen them played live. Our crowd might have been the kicker there too. It really was a good crowd, and of course, all the hits got the collective blood boiling. I got pretty amped watching the crowd get in to it with song recognition. I guess I can see that. My jaw dropped when they were playing Romeo and my cousin told me he didn't know what song that was. I was like dude, you're not my kin. Get away from me. lol.

Jump sucked, but it's the obvious closer, just not for the hardcore fan.
    Last edited by seenbad; 12.02.07 at 11:45 PM.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen