Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: memory lane

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default memory lane

on the eve of buying tickets for 2007 I cant help but remember the good old days of buying tickets.

One of my most fond was VH 1981. even though the concert was downtown, the best place to get tickets was the Astrodome, they went on sale 2 hours early there.

The first 500 hundred or so were locked in a giant cage outside the dome...
    If you had to go pee, you hoped the guy at the gate remembered you.
    oh, this was about 6:00pm the night before tickets go on sale.
    We stayed up all night partying and making new friends.

The couple next to us was a couple of twentish year olds (I was 16). The girl was hot, and some family show of some kind let out of the astrodome. All these cars packed with kids in the back would drive by, and she would flash the kids... was funny as hell.

about 30 minutes before ticket sales, they opened the gates and it was a mad dash of about 100 yards to the ticket windows... lots of open windows, so not a huge deal. no trampling or fights or anything bad, hell, we were all good friends by this point.

got our tickets, tired as hell, walking back to the car, and some guy is boinking a chick on top of VW bug at 10:00am. I looked at my buddy and said "must be a Van Halen show comin to town"
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

07.10.12 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I met my husband while sleeping out for VH tickets in 1986. (Interceptor got to hear this story at the ILAA pre party in Auburn Hills...)

We didn't "officially" meet until 3 years later. After we'd been dating for about a year, we got out our concert ticket stubs to compare which shows we'd both been at before we knew each other. We came to the VH '86 tickets, and I said "I remember sleeping out for tickets for this. I was second in line with a friend of mine (guy), and the two guys that were first brought cards, so the 4 of us played euchre for hours." By this time my boyfriend (now hubby) was staring at me with his jaw on the floor. He said "that was me and my buddy. We brought cards and played with a guy and a girl. That was YOU?!?"

So, you could say VH brought us together. Pretty cool. And it was fun sleeping out for tickets the old fashioned way. However, now that I am much older I'm glad I can just buy online!
    Non stop talker, what a rocker....

"Bring it, or DON'T RING IT!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I remember camping out for the F.U.C.K. tour. It was a cold November as my buddies and I stood outside the main entrance door at Foley's waiting for 10am. Got great seats as this was my first VH show! What a blast, and oh yeah....the tickets were like $35!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I remember driving 400 miles round trip for MOR tix to see my fave bands. T/G for online sales!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedMurder66 View Post
    I met my husband while sleeping out for VH tickets in 1986. (Interceptor got to hear this story at the ILAA pre party in Auburn Hills...)

We didn't "officially" meet until 3 years later. After we'd been dating for about a year, we got out our concert ticket stubs to compare which shows we'd both been at before we knew each other. We came to the VH '86 tickets, and I said "I remember sleeping out for tickets for this. I was second in line with a friend of mine (guy), and the two guys that were first brought cards, so the 4 of us played euchre for hours." By this time my boyfriend (now hubby) was staring at me with his jaw on the floor. He said "that was me and my buddy. We brought cards and played with a guy and a girl. That was YOU?!?"

So, you could say VH brought us together. Pretty cool. And it was fun sleeping out for tickets the old fashioned way. However, now that I am much older I'm glad I can just buy online!
    That's a great story!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

07.10.12 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    That's a great story!
    Thanks!

oh yeah....the tickets were like $35!
    Our ticket stubs from 1984 have a $15 price on them. Holy hell. Nothing like paying 50 times that to see VH now....
    Non stop talker, what a rocker....

"Bring it, or DON'T RING IT!"

Last Online

05.14.08 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Camping out for the OU812 tour around November 88 I believe. I was in 11th grade, after school got out at 3:30 we drove down to the El Paso Special Events Center, and started camping out in the parking lot next to the box office. Some of the guys who had gotten there earlier had started a roll call sheet and every 2 hours of so, they would do a roll call, and you had to be present of they would take your name off the list. Imagine people actually still using the Honor Roll today. By 8 or so at night the lot was packed, some guys brought the RV and we it turned into a huge party. It was a damn blast. The next morning 30 minutes before tickets went on sale we lined up according to our place on the list.

Those tickets were a whopping 20 bucks or so. Damn you Eagles for screwing it up and charging $100 for your "Hell Froze Over tour" and making going to a concert a luxury event.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:31 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Saw them in Montreal in '81...we had to get scalped tix and I was all of 14. We paid $20 for tickets priced at $12.50 and I can remember thinking I had spent a fortune. Still got the ticket stub, can't wait to place the 2007 stub (Vancouver, Dec.5th) next to it...a wee bit more expensive this time around (LOL!)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

never did the camp out...i'm just a hair too young to have had a chance to do so...by the time I was old enough to do such things, they had already introduced all these silly things that have pretty much done away with those days....actually it's due to a couple of reasons...the aforementioned shift in paradigms, but also the fact that a lot of the bands I was most passionate about seeing didn't seem to require camping out...perhaps do to those new ways of buying tickets...

but I will take this opportunity to tell you guys about what is probably my favourite concert-going memory...

It was the first Poison "reunion" tour, they came to Houston (woodlands pavillion) with Ratt, Great White and I believe Faster Pussycat, but they didn't show up due some kind of problem with travel arrangements or whatever...

Anyway...my sister who at the time was living in Georgia told me if I could score good seats she'd fly over and we'd go together...she's six years older than me and was integral to my exposure to bands like Motley, VH, Poison etc...

so the day tickets went on sale I was at Foley's an hour early...with everyone there looking at me like I was from another planet...but hey, I wanted good seats!! Needless to say, I was the only one waiting that long. I got floor seats, about 11 rows back on the right side and called her up. She gave her boss the "dead grandparent story for the FIFTH time" not sure how she got away with that one but whatever. We went to the show and afterwards she said "fuck this, we're getting back stage." So we hang loose, leave the pavillion, drive around for a bit and then drive back. Just like she said, one of the entrance gates was open and we drove right in and parked the car and walked in like we owned the place. She's an old pro, a vet of the scene back then so she was as cool as a cucumber when Steven Piercy walked passed us and just as cool when one of the security guys came up and said "you guys aren't supposed to be back here...what are you doing?" Before I could even stutter off a few "uhs" and "umms" she rolls out with "look...here's the deal...our little sister caught one of those backstage passes Steve Piercy threw out...i don't know what year you guys think this is, but it ain't 1985...I did her makeup, she looks 25 but she's 15 goddamn it and she could be on any one of those fucking buses!!" She continues, "that shit was funny when me and my friends were the one fighting for the passes back in the day so we could have our shot at sucking off brett michaels or whatever, but it's a whole other thing today when it's my 15 year old sister!!"
    The security guard gets this horrified look on his face and grabs the mike strapped to his shoulder and says into it "we have a code blue by the buses." I SHIT YOU NOT, THAT'S WHAT HE SAID. This guy went into damage control mode. He says to us "there's been no one through here, I'll check the buses, you guys go over there and turn right down that hallway, she's probably over there...if I find someone that fits that description, I'll come find you."

So we go to where he says and turn right and just as we do c.c. deville goes running across the hall wearing nothing but a towel! Paydirt!! We keep walking and we found our way to the VIP meet and great...brett and rikki rocket were there...

Bret was wearing a tailored pinstripe suit with his trademark (though very gay bandana) and rikki was wearing two saline filled whores...

we hung around and I got a chance to talk to brett for a second. Quote "Man, that was a great show...listen, I read what you wrote in the liner notes of your solo record...letters from death row...where you said to your fans 'thank you for letting you do what we love'...man, that was really beautifully said and I loved that record!"

To which he replied : "OH...so YOU'RE the guy that bought it!! THANK YOU!!!"

We shared a couple of other pleasantries...we hugged, we had no camera or anything and not being an autograph hound I had nothing with me except my ticket stub so he signed it.

I gotta tell you, even as someone who owns every poison record, they're a crappy band...but they're music does bring a smile to my face and to a helluva lot of other people...but what struck me most was how sweet that sonofabitch was...because of my upbringing and who my father is, I've had the opportunity to meet some pretty big acts over the years and I have to say, Brett Michaels, in that one moment that lasted about 3 minutes, was as gracious and humble, witty and enjoyable as anyone I've ever met.

Granted he made that ridiculous VH1 show which is inexcusable but still...for those three minutes or so, he was THE MAN.

Anyway, that's my trip down memory lane...great great time I shared with my big sis who has always been my best friend and one of the two most important people in my life...the other being my dad...

sorry it's not a camping outside for tickets story...

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Runaround
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I saw most of my concerts from 1977-82 so I never did the camping out thing. That didn't even exist back then. I remember just going to a record store (most were ticket outlets) and walking up to the window/counter and buying your tickets there. That was also back when there wasn't all these extra fees added on. Granted I didn't get front row seats but I usually got fairly decent seats. I was just happy to get tickets and know that I was going to see some of favorite bands

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    never did the camp out...i'm just a hair too young to have had a chance to do so...by the time I was old enough to do such things, they had already introduced all these silly things that have pretty much done away with those days....actually it's due to a couple of reasons...the aforementioned shift in paradigms, but also the fact that a lot of the bands I was most passionate about seeing didn't seem to require camping out...perhaps do to those new ways of buying tickets...

but I will take this opportunity to tell you guys about what is probably my favourite concert-going memory...

It was the first Poison "reunion" tour, they came to Houston (woodlands pavillion) with Ratt, Great White and I believe Faster Pussycat, but they didn't show up due some kind of problem with travel arrangements or whatever...

Anyway...my sister who at the time was living in Georgia told me if I could score good seats she'd fly over and we'd go together...she's six years older than me and was integral to my exposure to bands like Motley, VH, Poison etc...

so the day tickets went on sale I was at Foley's an hour early...with everyone there looking at me like I was from another planet...but hey, I wanted good seats!! Needless to say, I was the only one waiting that long. I got floor seats, about 11 rows back on the right side and called her up. She gave her boss the "dead grandparent story for the FIFTH time" not sure how she got away with that one but whatever. We went to the show and afterwards she said "fuck this, we're getting back stage." So we hang loose, leave the pavillion, drive around for a bit and then drive back. Just like she said, one of the entrance gates was open and we drove right in and parked the car and walked in like we owned the place. She's an old pro, a vet of the scene back then so she was as cool as a cucumber when Steven Piercy walked passed us and just as cool when one of the security guys came up and said "you guys aren't supposed to be back here...what are you doing?" Before I could even stutter off a few "uhs" and "umms" she rolls out with "look...here's the deal...our little sister caught one of those backstage passes Steve Piercy threw out...i don't know what year you guys think this is, but it ain't 1985...I did her makeup, she looks 25 but she's 15 goddamn it and she could be on any one of those fucking buses!!" She continues, "that shit was funny when me and my friends were the one fighting for the passes back in the day so we could have our shot at sucking off brett michaels or whatever, but it's a whole other thing today when it's my 15 year old sister!!"
    The security guard gets this horrified look on his face and grabs the mike strapped to his shoulder and says into it "we have a code blue by the buses." I SHIT YOU NOT, THAT'S WHAT HE SAID. This guy went into damage control mode. He says to us "there's been no one through here, I'll check the buses, you guys go over there and turn right down that hallway, she's probably over there...if I find someone that fits that description, I'll come find you."

So we go to where he says and turn right and just as we do c.c. deville goes running across the hall wearing nothing but a towel! Paydirt!! We keep walking and we found our way to the VIP meet and great...brett and rikki rocket were there...

Bret was wearing a tailored pinstripe suit with his trademark (though very gay bandana) and rikki was wearing two saline filled whores...

we hung around and I got a chance to talk to brett for a second. Quote "Man, that was a great show...listen, I read what you wrote in the liner notes of your solo record...letters from death row...where you said to your fans 'thank you for letting you do what we love'...man, that was really beautifully said and I loved that record!"

To which he replied : "OH...so YOU'RE the guy that bought it!! THANK YOU!!!"

We shared a couple of other pleasantries...we hugged, we had no camera or anything and not being an autograph hound I had nothing with me except my ticket stub so he signed it.

I gotta tell you, even as someone who owns every poison record, they're a crappy band...but they're music does bring a smile to my face and to a helluva lot of other people...but what struck me most was how sweet that sonofabitch was...because of my upbringing and who my father is, I've had the opportunity to meet some pretty big acts over the years and I have to say, Brett Michaels, in that one moment that lasted about 3 minutes, was as gracious and humble, witty and enjoyable as anyone I've ever met.

Granted he made that ridiculous VH1 show which is inexcusable but still...for those three minutes or so, he was THE MAN.

Anyway, that's my trip down memory lane...great great time I shared with my big sis who has always been my best friend and one of the two most important people in my life...the other being my dad...

sorry it's not a camping outside for tickets story...
    What a story! You gonna publish that?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.20.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts

IM from houston, and I always bought my tickets at sound warehouse on 45 and tidwell. One time Ozzy was there doin autographs @ 81

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    on the eve of buying tickets for 2007 I cant help but remember the good old days of buying tickets.

One of my most fond was VH 1981. even though the concert was downtown, the best place to get tickets was the Astrodome, they went on sale 2 hours early there.

The first 500 hundred or so were locked in a giant cage outside the dome...
    If you had to go pee, you hoped the guy at the gate remembered you.
    oh, this was about 6:00pm the night before tickets go on sale.
    We stayed up all night partying and making new friends.

The couple next to us was a couple of twentish year olds (I was 16). The girl was hot, and some family show of some kind let out of the astrodome. All these cars packed with kids in the back would drive by, and she would flash the kids... was funny as hell.

about 30 minutes before ticket sales, they opened the gates and it was a mad dash of about 100 yards to the ticket windows... lots of open windows, so not a huge deal. no trampling or fights or anything bad, hell, we were all good friends by this point.

got our tickets, tired as hell, walking back to the car, and some guy is boinking a chick on top of VW bug at 10:00am. I looked at my buddy and said "must be a Van Halen show comin to town"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.12.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

My favorite concert expierience doesnt involve camping out for tix either

But in 81 for the Fair Warning tour I bought my tix at a clothing outlet dont remember the name

I think they cost about 12 bucks

Anyway here in Fresno back then they didnt have seats on the floor at the old Selland Arena,you bought your tickets and got there early if you wanted front row

So me and my buddy take off for the show about 4pm,his mom drives us,I was 15

Anyway,were up front right in front of Ed's side and it's gettin near Halen time

ATF opened for them,they left before finishing their set because people were throwin beer bottles at em,this was before plastic bottles I believe

Anyway,it's gettin heated down there,theres a big crowd of young men all wanting to get closer to the stage and this guy taps me on the shoulder

"Hey man,tell your friend to get away from me man" this kid tells me pointing to some dude I never seen before

I shrug my shoulders tell the dude "I dont know him" and turn away watchin some drunk chick with puke all down the front of her shirt being lowered from the lower bowl by a sea of hands to some guys in the orange shirts

Next thing I know I'm being knocked over by all these people and my shirt has been literally sprayed with blood from this guy's nose that the aforementioned dude punched and was still punching ruthleslly as the crowd parted like the red sea watchin this guy just pulverize this other guyys face

So then this african american gentleman,not all that big a little tall about 215 maybe he walks into the middle of this melee and just picks the one kid up by his collar and belt and just lifts him up magically and just whisks him away in like the blink of an eye and medics rush in to this kid just bleedin all over

Like 15 minutes later Van Halen hit the stage and it was awesome