Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie using Les Paul's in 1978-1980???

We've all seen the great rare pix of Ed using a white Les Paul on the 1st tour & a gold top on the WACF tour.

Guessing he used them scarcely on YRGM - toggle switch trick but probably not. Maybe only as a back up for Franky occasionally??

What other songs do you think he was using a Les Paul for??
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeppVH View Post
    We've all seen the great rare pix of Ed using a white Les Paul on the 1st tour & a gold top on the WACF tour.

Guessing he used them scarcely on YRGM - toggle switch trick but probably not. Maybe only as a back up for Franky occasionally??

What other songs do you think he was using a Les Paul for??
    I think that was it. He did his solo and changed guitars.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He used the Destroyer on YRGM.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

EVH

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by gproud5150 View Post
    He used the Destroyer on YRGM.

We're talking about live. THere are films of him using the Destroyer playing YRGM live, but I think he played the LP sometimes on that song.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    We're talking about live. THere are films of him using the Destroyer playing YRGM live, but I think he played the LP sometimes on that song.
    You woulda thought after all those countless guitar interviews in the 80's that one of those guys @ GW or GP would have asked Eddie why he used a Paul on stage?

As mentioned in an above post, he probably grabbed a Paul during his solo spot every now & then.
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There was a festival that the band played on borrowed or rented equipment, back in the late seventies. Circus magazine covered it at the time, and several of the photos from that article have appeared over the years. I recall how odd it was to see Ed using the Les Paul, as (at that time) from album covers I'd associated him with a "strat-like" guitar.

I wish that I could remember more, as to be honest I can not even recall where the show took place or who else was on the bill. Yet the piece did make notice of "these young upstarts" and their determination to "play, even when their own equipment was lost or stolen".
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    There was a festival that the band played on borrowed or rented equipment, back in the late seventies. Circus magazine covered it at the time, and several of the photos from that article have appeared over the years. I recall how odd it was to see Ed using the Les Paul, as (at that time) from album covers I'd associated him with a "strat-like" guitar.

I wish that I could remember more, as to be honest I can not even recall where the show took place or who else was on the bill. Yet the piece did make notice of "these young upstarts" and their determination to "play, even when their own equipment was lost or stolen".
    I remember that particular article. It was the Texxxas Jam in 78. Aerosmith Ted Nugent, VH and others. I wish I had all those old magazines again.

- DLR 2012

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    I remember that particular article. It was the Texxxas Jam in 78. Aerosmith Ted Nugent, VH and others. I wish I had all those old magazines again.
    Quote Originally Posted by vhrocker View Post
    Here's the picture I'm talking about. Looks like a LP Custom?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome post!

I have been curious about this for years as well.

Rudy must have set those up to stay in tune because a stock les paul would post many tuning problems.

I wish someone would have asked Ed if he liked those guitars.

Ed must have disliked single coil strats a lot not to rent one of those.

He could have borrowed one of Joe Perrys guitars or Teds Birdland.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That's not 78 (don't think) ...Notice he's pulled out the pickup.....

I think this is 78 .....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    Awesome post!

I have been curious about this for years as well.

Rudy must have set those up to stay in tune because a stock les paul would post many tuning problems.

I wish someone would have asked Ed if he liked those guitars.

Ed must have disliked single coil strats a lot not to rent one of those.

He could have borrowed one of Joe Perrys guitars or Teds Birdland.
    Joe Perry and Ed were hardly friendly during that period of time. Joe supposedly would not shake Eddie's hand when they were introduced. Of course Joe was on blow and Eddie was the new hot shot stealing the thunder.

Eddie did play a 335 in the early days but it would feedback.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

theres an interveiw from 79 where eddie talks about how much he likes les pauls.

he said after the first album and tour was over he bought some vintage gold top and maple top les pauls and paid a lot for them but he didnt care. he said he did rewax the pick ups.

he also said he had his tech buy them for him because when he tried to buy the guitars the stores would raise the prices of the vintage guitars.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post

I think this is 78 .....
    The first pic is from the WACF tour. I used to know the exact place that was taken, but I forgot. The Second picture is from Japan in 78. Or at least all the pics I've ever seen with him playing a white Les Paul are from Japan. Someone may know better.

- DLR 2012

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

A Year to the Day, One I want
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 12:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this is 78 .....
    that first one is definetly ed's
    "MY FAVORTITE THING ABOUT MY RIG IS MY PEDALBOARD. MAN, I WENT TO HOME DEPOT, BOUGHT A FEW METAL STRAPS AND BOLTED THOSE MOTHER F**KIN' STOMPBOXES DOWN! SCREW THAT WIMPY VELCRO! YOU NEED METAL!"-Zakk Wylde

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I think this is 78 .....
    Just to be clear...the les paul in the first picture is not a gold top. it's a sunburst and it looks like a vintage one as well. I think it is one of Ed's 'bursts (from 58, 59, or 60). The way you can tell also is the pickup cavity of his LP has that little smile in the wood...that's the long neck tenon that was only made on the 50s LPs...now they are made in the historic lines...

Anyone know the year of this LP?