Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default *** Reviews Sacramento, CA ***

*** Reviews Sacramento, CA ***

If you are not posting a review DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

This thread is for reviews ONLY!!!

I will say it once again - THIS THREAD IS FOR REVIEWS ONLY!!!!

All NON REVIEWS will be deleted and you will be pelted with rotten fruit.

I will say it ONCE AGAIN for those that are not real smart. REVIEWS ONLY!!!!

One more time for good measure. This thread is for REVIEWS ONLY!! If you have questions or comments do so in that city's official thread.

If you do not understand the rules please contact Scotty he will be happy to walk you through the rules.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Um, wow. I heard feedback like 3 times and the vocals once in a while would get drowned out. Only negative things I could find.

Oh, and some moniter was in my way so I couldn't see Eddie the whole time.

God, they fucking rocked. 2 hours straight of rock. They didn't slow down at all. Best show I have ever seen and probably will see.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 04:27 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Worth the wait

I have been a Van Halen fan since the very beginning. I saw Roth with Van Halen back when they first started and I have seen Van Hagar numerous times. I started posting here back in 99. Although I don't post very much. I read the Links just about every day. All that said I saw Van Halen in 2004 and loved the show. although I felt that it was just for the money the way Ed reacted to Sam and Mike.

Tonight though was excellent! Non stop 2 hours of rock and Roll. I thought Roth was great. Ed was on his game and Alex is the backbone. I am a bigger Sam fan than Roth but you could see how important this was to Roth. I for one salute him and the job he did.To me his excitement was heartfelt. Ed had a moment with wolf where they played together kneeled down at the end Ed kissed him and I can see how much Wolf means to Ed and for the first time I understand why Mike could not be there.

The show was sold out. the crowd was into it. they played non stop, no BS just rock and roll.

If I was to look at it from a critical standpoint. I could say that Dave's singiong was a bit off at times and it was more than obvious than background vocals are piped in and I would bet they are from the original recordings. I watched Wolf play bass and while he plays bass througout the show. I do beleive there were times that the bass I hard was not from Wolf's bass. Did it matter (not really)

I loved Van halen in 1978, I loved van halen in 1985, I loved van halen in 2004 and I love Van halen in 2007

Bottom line I went with my wife and two female friends of hers. All huge Van Halen fans, All Sammy fans mainly. All enjoyed the concert, All thought Roth was great. Although in the hallway after the concert there were fans chanting Sammy Sammy Sammy. but we are 100 miles form Sam's hometown and Sacramento has always been a Hagar city. It is also the first Van halen concert where the crowd did not chant Eddie Eddie Eddie at some point
    Montrose
    8-23-74

Sammy Hagar
    3-8-77, Sacramento
    11-20-77 Stockton
    4-15-78 Concord
    9-4-78 Sacramento
    12-31-78 Cow Palace
    5-6-79 Oakland
    10-19-79 Oakland
    7-4-80 Oakland
    11-6-81 Reno
    3-26-82 Cow Palace
    1-19-85 Cow Palace
    8-19-97 Sacramento
    7-7-99 Sacramento
    8-16-03 Sacramento
    9-10-11 Tahoe
    9-5-13 Sacramento

David lee Roth
    8-3-99 Sacramento

Van Halen
    7-23-78 Oakland
    11-1-86-Cow Palace
    7-17-88-Candlestick park
    11-21-88 -Sacramento
    9-9-91 Sacramento
    8-22-93 Sacramento
    5-15-95 Sacramento
    10-13-95 Sacramento
    11-27-07 Sacramento

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.04.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay... The show was excellent.
    Dave - Great showman, worked his ass off... James Brown style!
    Ed - Loose, but smokin'... Solo had nice variation, good flow.
    Al - Fantastic as usual. Loved the end of his solo with the sample triggers etc.
    Wolf - He ROCKS. His tone was too distorted at times. But most of the time it worked nicely to fill out the space while Ed soloed. Fine job by all.

Last Online

12.07.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Freakin awesome. They all played their asses off, and the only thing that bothered me in the slightest was the muddy sound that happened a few times, which is to be expected at arco. Was in section 219 in the uppers, but it was still kickass. The dudes in front of me were tokin' up the whole time too, didn't share though. Vox definitely piped in, and I didn't care in the slightest. Ayways, great show, can't imagine what it would be like on the floor or in the lower sections near the stage.

Last Online

12.07.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

double post
    Last edited by Evmeister; 11.28.07 at 01:08 AM. Reason: double post

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

WOW!

Great fucking show and it made me want my money back from 2004 because THIS is Eddie Fucking Van Halen.

Marley started about 15 minutes early than ticketed time said and that made me and my friend wonder if VH did have something planned to honor Kevin Dubrow but they didn't so my co-worker will be bitch slapped this morning.

VH hit the stage right about 8:15, so any of you going make sure you are at your seats by 8:00.

They played the usual setlist with Eddie once again using the white Wolfgang as his main axe to go along with a striped yellow and black and another yellow and black one that I hadn't seen yet that looked like it had a bunch of bow ties on it. Of course he had the mini frankie for Little Guitars and the frankie for JUMP.
    The man was pretty much dead on all night and very happy, you could tell that this relationship with Dave now is genuine. One highlight as a father myself was during the bass intro to So This I Love, Eddie and Dave stood side by side with Eddie at the "At Ease" position just beaming with pride watching his son do a mini bass solo.
    Didn't notice any gear issues with Ed at all.

One thing I did notice on Ed was that he is wearing a ring on his wedding finger again and not on his right hand, I wonder if he and Janie tied the knot during the Thanksgiving holiday?

This is a brand new David Lee Roth, and is not the same guy I last saw in 2002 when on tour with Sammy. He is somewhat subdued now and is singing like he has never sung before. The man was on his game as well even though it appeared that his microphone cut out a bit a few times.

Wolfie can play, my friend who was with me is a musician was amazed by the kid. He does lay a groove down with Alex by playing rythym on songs while Ed solos maybe thats what Eddie and Alex meant by him being a "shredding bass player". He looks alot more comfortable onstage and was all over it and even doing his own fist pumping to the crowd a couple of times.
    Do I wish Mike was still in the band? probably, did I miss him? NO.
    I did not get any feeling that any vocals were piped in, in fact I felt that the band makes a great effort to sing together on the background vox.

Alex was dead on as usual and I didn't catch most of the solo since I was taking a leak.

I too was in section 219 as Evmeister was and the weed smelled very nice.

This is a must see show, no matterwhat you think of Mike, Eddie or Alex and that whole matter. You are only depriving yourself if you miss this when it comes to your area. You won't even notice Mike's not there once they start playing song after song with very little between song BS-ing.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG. I've been waiting for this for 22 years.

Eddie looked very happy and at ease. I, too, noticed the wedding ring. Perhaps that's why he's looking so happy? I loved the little bit where Ed and Wolf were playing, knee to knee, and then Ed tousled Wolf's hair and kissed him on the cheek. I have a son Wolf's age and that just warmed my heart.

Ed's solo was awesome!! Did anyone else notice how he seemed to be so appreciative of the crowd? The chest thump, hand to lips, then out to the crowd---man, I nearly cried! And he sounded so sincere when he said Thank you at the end of the solo. He almost seemed----how should I say it--Humble??

Dave was cheesy as all get out, but my friends and I loved him. He's like a cross between Elvis and Liberace.....Elvi-race, if you will. But it works.

Wolf does seem to be feeling more comfortable on stage, getting into the crowd and interacting.

I was in the lower section, row K, so pretty close. A couple of times I couldn't make out the song until Dave started singing, because it was so muddled. But nothing I can't live with.

Only gripe....my friends wished they had done some of the Sammy era songs, just because there are some really good ones. Having seen VH so many times with Sammy, I was okay with them not doing it, this time. But if they do stay together and continue to tour, I think they will have to include some to keep all their fans happy.

Well worth the $150 ticket.
    Last edited by Atheena; 11.28.07 at 09:46 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Double post.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.28.07 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<<If I was to look at it from a critical standpoint. I could say that Dave's singiong was a bit off at times and it was more than obvious than background vocals are piped in and I would bet they are from the original recordings. I watched Wolf play bass and while he plays bass througout the show. I do beleive there were times that the bass I hard was not from Wolf's bass. Did it matter (not really)>>

I was sitting/standing in the First Row. There was ZERO lip synching, no piped in vocals or piped in bass lines. Everytime Wolfie or ED's lips moved, the correct vocals came out. Everytime they stopped, the vocals stopped. They may possibly have been using a pitch shifter/corrector/effector, but they were not piping in anything. Wolfie was playing bass the entire time, playing the correct notes in the correct positions and singing when he had to ( It's not like Van Halen bass lines are complicated).

I also do not think there was an actual keyboard or keyboard player anywhere. There was a guy with a laptop, who triggered something right before Jump and I'll Wait. Those are the only two times they used the laptop. The mixing board and guitar tech area were to the right side of the stage. Eddies amps on stage were all props, because I could see the two actual heads he was using, in a rack, in the tech area.

We were within 5 feet of Dave. Dave sang all the words, all night. His microphone seemed to be cutting out sometimes, but you could see him singing EVERY LINE, the ENTIRE time. He was putting a ton of effort into singing everything as completely as possible.

Eddie drank Gatorade all night. Whenever he went off stage, he would drink gatorade, stand in front of a small fan to cool off, take a couple squirts of a throat spray, and then light up a cigarette. He would take two or three drags, and then put it out.

Ed's tone has gone to shit. It's some sort of new/processed sound. The classic Brown Sound, is just not there anymore. It still sounds like Eddie, but it sounds like Eddie through someone else's amps. His solo was pretty good. After the Spanish Fly pieces, he looked over to his tech, and mouthed the words 'Now What?'. Then he started the Cathedral parts and some of the eruption bits. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Overall, the show was awesome. I give it an 8 of 10. Technically it kicked ass on the 1984 show's, even though the energy and fun level was much higher at the 1984 shows and Eddie still had the Brown Sound.

Good-

Dave is back.
    Eddie is sober.
    No Sammy
    No Sammy era SAP.

Bad-

Stupid stage design.
    Eddie using a cord, so he could never leave the center area of the stage.
    Jump as an encore.
    Muddy bass at times

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 1,971 Times in 1,368 Posts

Well like I mentioned last night, it was a really great show. I was on the floor a few rows from the pit area, left side.

Started out at BJs Brewery which is right by the Arena for some food and brew. Met up with KMA371(Bill) and his group. I also had a few people with me. A few Blonde pale ales hit the spot.

Headed over to the Arena parking lot. Plenty of people having a good time. Lots of groups drinking and playing some tunes.

Got into the Arena to check out who was there. Got in line for a few more drinks as K Marley was hitting the stage. We could hear a few tunes from Bob Marley. They were selling 24 oz Jamacian Red Stripes so we got those. Hoooray Beer! Made our way to our floor seats during "I shot the Sheriff". After he was done we had a bit of time to meetup with a few more people. I checked with the taper he was set and ready to go, but he was quite a bit to the left of the stacks on Wolfs side, so we will see how it turned out today.

Place was now packed and VH hit the stage with YRGM, crowd went nuts. Same set as usual.

Highlights for me were Romeo Delight(Magic Bus), Mean Street, Unchained, I'm the one. Crowd also really ate up the big hits. Hot for Teacher was pretty good, much better then several other shows I have heard.

Got a bit extra on SGMAD, also the usual Deep Purple after Cradle.

Ed was great for the entire show. Looked really happy and focused. Used the new White Wolfgang II for most of the show. Yellow & black stripe ebay for I'll wait, then a different Black with yellow blocks ebay for Cradle. Also used a RWB Frank replica for a few tunes(HFT, Jump). White Wolf for the solo.

Ed's solo was good. Played 316, Women in Love, Cath, Eruption.

Dave was great all night as well. Hit the notes, sang well and looked like he was having a great time. Came out on the ramp a few times as well. Got a few pics.

Al was solid all night. Thumbs up. I did take the "Catfish" beer break during Al's solo. Made it back just in time for Unchained.

Wolf was good, played well. Pretty much stayed in his area. He was more confident during his "Dave give me a break" line then I have heard at other shows.

All in All a great show.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 04:27 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Reply to fatscott

I didn't mean to imply that Roth was not singing everything. I should have said there were times his singing was off as not in key or not timed right.

As far as Wolfgang goes, it was my opinion. (I have no proof)

As far as the background voicals go- There were times the background vocals were 100% just like off a recording and perfect sounding. there were other times that the background vocals were quite a bit less than perfect and it was more than obvious that it was ED and Wolf singing background for sure.

I wanted to add one more item. Ed was indeed wearing a ring on his left hand. Although I hate to back you up Eddymon
    Montrose
    8-23-74

Sammy Hagar
    3-8-77, Sacramento
    11-20-77 Stockton
    4-15-78 Concord
    9-4-78 Sacramento
    12-31-78 Cow Palace
    5-6-79 Oakland
    10-19-79 Oakland
    7-4-80 Oakland
    11-6-81 Reno
    3-26-82 Cow Palace
    1-19-85 Cow Palace
    8-19-97 Sacramento
    7-7-99 Sacramento
    8-16-03 Sacramento
    9-10-11 Tahoe
    9-5-13 Sacramento

David lee Roth
    8-3-99 Sacramento

Van Halen
    7-23-78 Oakland
    11-1-86-Cow Palace
    7-17-88-Candlestick park
    11-21-88 -Sacramento
    9-9-91 Sacramento
    8-22-93 Sacramento
    5-15-95 Sacramento
    10-13-95 Sacramento
    11-27-07 Sacramento

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.25.07 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New Sacramento Review

This is my first post but I’ve been reading for several months. I was so disappointed in the lack of reviews from San Diego that I vowed that I’d post my review of the Sacramento show. I wont go into all the other stuff like a song for song review but will fill in some details that some others have assumed that I feel are inaccurate.

First of all my wife and I did the 5 Star experience for one reason and one reason only…for a great seat. We were dead center of the pit in row 5. Any closer and we would have not been able to see Alex completely. We felt the 5* experience was fantastic though a little unorganized. I was surprised at how few of us there were…really great small group. We are not musicians so I’ll only post what we were told and not speculate as there are true guitar experts viewing this site it appears. During the back stage tour we got to spend quit a lot of time with Wolfgang’s guitar tech who also works on Ed’s side during the show. He pulled out each guitar on Ed’s side 1 by 1 and talked about them. Strictly NO PHOTO’s at that time…not even cell phone pictures. The only two guitars that are at every show are the Frankenstrat (replica of course) and the mini-frank used on little guitars. The white panted guitar mentioned earlier in this tread was first played in San Diego. Every guitar he has been playing are custom prototypes with custom pick-ups. He’s working to dial in his new line of guitars. Prior to the tour Ed personally customized 80 guitars. He plays 2 of these guitars during each concert and then they are auctioned off on E-Bay. I couldn’t hear if the proceeds go to Ed or to charity. In this concert these were the black and yellow stripe and the other guitar had of all things small mustaches all over it (some one else posted about bow ties for this one). The white one is the main guitar and you could REALLY tell the difference in tone when he played the other two. The tech claimed that he is using the cord to get true tone until they have finally dialed in the guitars perfectly for Ed. Apparently the wireless set ups add additional gain and change things??? Anyway, he said that Ed will eventually go wireless when he finally feels good about the new guitars. Also, I asked the tech why Ed was in the center of the stage and he told me that Ed has had some bouts with Vertigo and has trouble hearing Alex…so he moved closer. I have an inner ear issue too so this could be valid. As for the amps on the stage…they ARE the ones live for the show. The ones in the small tech area are for the techs to use. They record every show audio and video as the guys are “perfectionists” and want to review every song from every show. Dave appears to control the entire “show” portion of the event (stage design etc.). After going through Ed’s area, we did the same thing on Wolf’s side. He also has custom basses for each show that are sent up on E-Bay. The only real comment about him is he is 100% a 16 year old off the stage…texting his buddies during breaks and all. He said that Wolf uses tube amps that were originally designed in the late 60’s…don’t know if that means anything to you technical experts out there.

We thought the entire show was fantastic. There were, even up that close, a couple of times that the sound got muddy but for the most part the sound was excellent. There is nothing like hearing these classics with everyone sober and performing. I saw them with Dave in the early days and part of that was a disaster. This time, though he has a real plastic look to him, he really brought it and performed very well. No chains, no huge mike at the end (though we did see it back stage) just classic rock and roll. Even the goofy hats were not on for long.

Ed brought the goods. He was jumping around like he was 15-20 years younger. My only disappointment was in Unchained. The riff (or sound) at the very beginning (and a couple of other times during the song) was recorded. Every time that riff came on, the stage went dark but we could still see them as we were so close. As for the background vocals, I’m sure they have some sort of effects on them but Wolf is definitely singing the highs we could hear him clearly. If anything, they could be helping out Ed. I don’t know enough about bass but he seemed to be playing very well and strumming it much of the time which is different than a Getty Lee for example.

Alex drove the beat very well and his solo was actually entertaining. Any fan of classic rock owes it to themselves to see this great icon of our generation…at least once during this show.

Now with all the other dates for the tour it looks like our hopes for additional music are on the back burner yet again. Hopefully they are working on a few things for the future but we can only hope.

Rock On.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default From the Sacramento Bee

"You Really Got Me" roared through Arco Arena, and for a moment, Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth had their arms around each other like old buddies. It might seem like a small gesture. But in the saga of Van Halen, any embrace between the two counts as a triumph.

Previous attempts to reunite Roth with his old band left only puddles of bad blood. But the Van Halen that played Sacramento on Tuesday night was all about perma-grins - or at least great game faces - and a powerful two-hour set of Van Halen classics.

There was none of that "Van Hagar" stuff, and Roth's solo work was thankfully left for another time. (Whew, no "Just a Gigolo.")

Van Halen circa 2007 brings the band back to its party rocking best: Diamond Dave and Eddie Van Halen sharing a microphone during the high harmonies of "Dance the Night Away" and a capacity crowd of 15,000-plus going bonkers during "Beautiful Girls" and "Panama."

It was enough to make you forget that Sammy Hagar once was the voice of Van Halen. And that Gary Cherone guy who fronted Van Halen for a milli-second after Hagar left? We'll just pretend that didn't happen.

Eddie Van Halen, meanwhile, looked elated, speed-picking his custom guitars with a smile and ripping through "Eruption" like it was 1978 all over again. It was a whole different Eddie Van Halen than the frazzled guitar god who performed in Sacramento a couple years ago.

Van Halen's rejuvenation is obviously inspired by the band's 16-year-old bassist. That's Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of Eddie and replacement for original bassist Michael Anthony. (Roth described the lineup as "three-quarters original, one-quarter inevitable.") The elder Van Halen played a dual role of guitar hero and proud papa, giving his son numerous kisses and doting on Wolfgang as he rumbled away on bass.

Add Wolfgang's uncle Alex on drums, and the two generations of Van Halens made for a mighty rhythm section. The flip side is that Roth's vocals were over-powered at times, especially with Eddie's guitar riffing away.

But for a teenager, who'd otherwise be studying for finals right about now, Wolfgang did an admirable job of anchoring the band and singing Van Halen's signature harmonies. The young dude could loosen up a little more, but he'll certainly get more comfortable with a few more tours under his belt. By the time he's the ripe old age of 19, he'll be a pro.

But there'll be only one Diamond Dave, the mouth behind "Mean Streets" and archetype for high-kicking singers everywhere. At 53, Roth is less airborne than in the "Jump" video days of yore, but still has a few good leaps left in him.

He didn't hold back much on his vocals, either - "And the Cradle Will Rock" and "Hot for Teacher" were delivered righteously - but Roth's phrasing was so loose that it sometimes sounded scatterbrained.

And who knew that Roth played such tasty acoustic guitar, like he did on "Ice Cream Man"? Once the rest of the band kicked the tune into high gear, the song rarely sounded hotter.

The night started off on a much mellower note with an opening set by Ky-Mani Marley. Van Halen's party rock is about as far away as you can get from reggae, but the son of Bob Marley and his band eased the crowd (at least the ones who weren't in line for beer and T-shirts) into 30 minutes of Jamaican music. Marley's versions of "No Woman No Cry" and "I Shot the Sheriff" were received just fine.

An opening set of hard rock might've made the night feel overloaded. Van Halen rocked with more than enough wattage of its own, like when Eddie and Wolfgang kneeled side by side and pounded through "Romeo Delight" with Roth singing away.

At least the fireworks were in Van Halen's music this time, not some behind-the-scenes flare-up.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.