Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.31.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Just picked up my first guitar!

hey guys, looking for some help here.
    I picked up my first guitar Friday after YEARS of wanting to try.
    I used to play drums as a kid, but the fiance says to much noise.
    I purchased a used black OLP MM1 for a 100 bucks. I also got a Line6 Toneport for 70 bucks. I thought I would go super cheap the first time around and try to learn and make sure I stick with it.
    I have downloaded tons of videos and pdf's to read. I cant really afford lessons as of right now, but from searching the boards, I should do this sometime.
    My main question is, is there a few spots on the net I can go to learn about the parts of the guitar? Since I am an EVH fan, I want to copy as much as possible. But I dont really know to much about tone, d-tuna, floyd rose, etc. Is there anyplace I can go to learn about the parts of the guitar, how they work, what things can be done, etc. I was running a search for getting the tone of the f.u.c.k. album, and there was so much terminology that it blew my mind.
    I am trying to play 30 minutes to an hour everyday. I am trying to go through my vids and practice chords for 30 minutes then goof around for another 30, like learning the intro to Humans Being by reading tabs. I have had to put the thing down a couple of times because of frustration but keep coming back to it.
    Anyways, any advice you can give to a novice I will soak in.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Musicians, guitarists especially, love to talk and talk about all of the nuts and bolts of guitar playing. That's because it's a lot easier to talk about that stuff than actual music. Be very careful you don't get too caught up in that trap. Never forget that music is an art and there's no one right way to go about it.

You probably sound pretty bad right now when you play and you're probably worried that you're doing something wrong. Here's a tip:
    Have a friend who plays guitar well come over and play on your setup. That way you'll know that it's hooked up and dialed in correctly, and that it's possible to get a good sound out of it.
    You could also take the guitar and amp to your local music store and ask the guitar guy to play on it and give you some advice. You might buy a strap or some picks or something to thank him for his time.

I can't tell you how many guys I've seen over the years who have a guitar for only two weeks and come back into the store talking about upgrading the pickups "to get it to sound more like so-and-so" when they can't even play two chords together yet.
    When I worked in sales, I was always obliged to sell them something if they wanted it but I felt like screaming "Will you please just go home and play the damn thing for a year before you start worrying about details you can't even hear?!?"
    I wasn't a very good salesman.

Anyway, have somebody with some expertise play it to make sure it works okay and then start playing music, not playing guitar.

Don't read this.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

not so much hardware... but here is a good resource for understanding
    a lt of what Ed does.

http://www.jfrocks3.com/guitar/guitarlesson/

as you get going and stick with it, I would recommend guitar pro software.
    you download songs and it shows it playing on fret board, standard music and tablature.

I am sure others have sites to recommend, but google or msn search and I am sure you will find a lot of resources on the internet
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks gusy, good advice.
    My buddy I have known for years plays, in fact he was the first person I called when I bought it. i will get together with him this weekend.

I will take a look into that guitar pro software.

Bull, I will stick with the music for now and just pick up info here and there regarding hardware. For now, I just want to learn to play.

The begining sucks though, you feel like you will NEVER get to a point that you want to be. Just got to keep pushnig through though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

Good luck man. Guitar is a very humbling instrument. Just when you think you're good, go to You Tube and watch videos of 14 year olds playing guitar better than you. It frustrates me everytime.

It sounds like you have a good plan of mixing up learning the basics and just fooling around with songs. Eventually, once you learn the basics, you learn more just by learning a new song. That's how it works for me anyway.

As far as knowing the nuts and bolts, I still have no idea how it works, but I love to play it.

You also made a wise choice in getting a cheap guitar. I still rock out on my Fender Squire and Crate practice amp a decade later (man, has it really been that long?). I'm just now starting to consider getting an EVH replica kit because now I won't embarrass the legacy to play on one.

There is a word that describes those guys at Guitar Center that try out every guitar and play the intro to Stairway to Heaven on everyone of them (with a little drop D in there for good measure) and talk about all the guitars they have: Fucking Douchebags. Okay, that's actually 2 words.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL

I have multiple vids, two I have watched so far are Hal Leonards beginners and (dont laugh please) guitar playing for dummies.
    If you have any other recommendations, let me know.
    I am going to see about lessons, dont know if I have the money for that yet. Going to ask around at work and see what they say. If you are in the STL area and have recommendations, let me know.

To clarify also, I dont have an amp or pedal or any of that stuff. I have line6 toneport. guitar plugs into that, and you can "choose" what stuff you want to use. Kind of neat, saves me money right now on an amp and other things. I can also use my headphones, saves my fiance's sanity

I know what you mean by vids. I checked some out this weekend. Depressing. Speaking of that, the reason I went out and did this, there was a guy on youtube who can play dream is over note for note. Blew me away. WHen I was done watching I knew I was going to buy a guitar that week. In case you are intersted, I am sure you have all seen it, it is this guy.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SF3If1jexNw
    Everytime I see this, it pumps me up to play.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase!

IMO, there's no better bargain then the original MM1's.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Congrats on joining the cult!! In the beginning, you really don't need to worry about D-Tuna's, Floyd Roses, roller nuts, or any of that. Like someone above posted, you can know all that stuff inside and out and still not be able to play one song. Hell, starting out, you dont really even need an amp...I hardly ever plug in when Im practicing.
    As an "advanced" beginner (been plinking off and on for years, but never really seem to get much better!), I got tired of never really getting any better and sat down and mapped out a practice schedule....you should do the same; its a big help in keeping you focused, and as you actually learn stuff, you get a nice ego boost
    Mine goes roughly like this (2 hr practice session):
    15 mins - fretboard memorizing (pick a random note on the fretboard and name it)
    15 mins - warmup and scale patterns (major, minor, whichever one Im working on)
    30 mins - chord building and changing (learning how to construct various chords, rather than just memorizing shapes)

The other hour I spend working on learning whatever song Im working on.

Dont know if this will help you, its just how I choose to organize the practice time for max efficiency.
    And since youre just starting out, 2 important things:
    1 -- Metronome!!! ALWAYS use one when practicing. Beg, borrow, steal, or use your old Casio keyboard's built in rhythms. But have SOMETHING to keep time and for you to keep time WITH.
    2 -- Practice SLOWLY BUT PERFECTLY. Don't try to play as fast as you can, try to play as PERFECTLY as you can. If you can nail something perfectly at half-speed, then its just a matter of repetition until you can do it at turbo speed. Your finger muscles will remember all the movements, so the key here is to do it PERFECTLY so the "muscle memory" learns the right stuff. Its a lot harder to unlearn bad technique than it is to do it slowly and correctly from the start.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is something I am looking for but cant find. Scale building, chord building and changing, and something to tell me what that actually means, lol.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    that is something I am looking for but cant find. Scale building, chord building and changing, and something to tell me what that actually means, lol.
    http://www.cyberfret.com
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post

Nice dude, thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats! Stick w/ it the guitar as a hobby - its addicting. I've read everybody's responses & I'd suggest taking a little bit from everyone's advice.

Don't get caught up in gear right now. Build finger strength via scales & rhythm thru chord progressions.

Tip: Van Halen is very advanced for beginners. Wanna learn songs to build ur confidence? AC/DC - you'll have those 3 Major chords down pat & @ the same time develop ur ear & sense of rhythm! Crucial for beginners.

YouTube for the most part is good for seeing how other people play songs. If you buy the guitar mag that has the Tab then YouTube is a good reference.

Rock ON!
    JeppVH

Boston Celtics
    2007-08 NBA World Champions
    Celtics Pride Returns - Banner # 17

"Look at all these little kids, Takin' care of the music biz. Don't their biz'ness take good care of me!"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Lardo,

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger on a lifetime of frustration/love/hate (the guitar, not the fiancee...that's a WHOLE 'nother story).

First off, nice work on going cheap. To jump right in and pick up an OLP and TonePort for $170 isn't a bad way to start.

I picked up the guitar in college, simply because a dorm neighbor could play the first 30 seconds to just about the entire VH catalog...and if HE could do that, I could learn, too. Heck, it took me nearly $500 to get started, and that was for just an old Charvel #2 and a Crate GXL amp...way back in 1989, too.

Just remember, if the "low-tech, no-tech" approach was good enough for our man Ed at one point in his career, it's good enough for you.

I can't speak highly enough of the Guitar Pro software. It is such an easy way visually and aurally to learn songs this day and age. That, and over time, it WILL help to develop your "play-by-ear" abilities.

Here's a couple of web sites to think about checking out:

Guitars101.com
    Ultimate-Guitar.com

Both sites have pretty extensive forums for everything from nuts and bolts hardware to "chasing tone" (God, I love that phrase) to guitar effects and sound replication. As a bonus, Ultimate-guitar has a shit-ton of guitar tabs for you to check out.

Just remember, though: Just about ALL the tabs in Guitar Pro and at UG.com are not necessarily "official" musical transcriptions...there will be errors - sections or passages of songs that just don't sound right...because they aren't.

Couple of other thoughts, too:

1. Don't get too intimidated by all the "guitar wunderkind" youtube videos out there. Remember, learning the instrument is a journey, NOT a destination. One of the BIGGEST reasons it took me as long as it did to get where I wanted to be with my playing abilities and "style" was that I was always comparing myself to others around me...which would always seem to discourage me.

It was said earlier above, music (and guitar playing) is subjective, an ART...don't EVER be discouraged or intimiated by ANYONE. As Mr. Hagar once said in an old Sam/Ed interview (paraphrased): "I'm not intimidated by Ed's playing. I can express myself just fine. Of course, Ed can express the same feelings as me, it's just in eight different languages.

2. Be prepared for "peaks and plateaus" when learning the guitar. It WILL happen. You'll learn by leaps and bounds for a while...and then NOTHING...it'll seem like your just spinning your wheels. Keep plugging away though, eventually you will break through whatever barrier (physical, musical, mental) you're currently up against.

One little tip: You'll know when you hit each plateau. When you start to get frustrated, try checking out some different genres or styles for a little while. Then, all of a sudden, when you come back to some of the EVH-style stuff you were stuck on, it'll just flow.

Tip #2: Remember, you're STARTING OUT by wanting to learn EVH from the get-go...not a lot of people ever really do that (another reason why it took me so long to progress). Most (sane) people start out by wanting to learn FAR EASIER stuff.

FINALLY:

You didn't say if your OLP came with a locking, floyd rose-style bridge or not, but understanding that you wanna jump right into the VH style (and there is a lot of trem-bar work), you may want to think about fitting your OLP with a locking trem (at this point, even a floyd copy will work just fine) or actually finding a decent, affordable guitar with a locking trem system on it.

Good luck, Lardo, and enjoy the ride...

...and we won't even talk about what it feels like to actually write that first piece of truly original music...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is what I was talking about in regard to hardware earlier. I really dont know what you just said, about floyd rose, trem-bar, etc, LOL. I need to learn what all that stuff is and what it does. I would not even know how to tell if I have that.

Quick question regarding guitar pro and tabs. I thought "TABS" was a different way of looking at music, what I mean is, if you look on ultimate-guitar.com and check out humans being tab, it shows you what string to hit and on what fret. I find this very easy since I dont know how to read music one bit. I was able to read it before when it came from drums, but even now I dont think I could do it for drums.
    Does the guitar pro create this type of tabs? I guess I sound stupid, but when I was searching around for tabs, I came across the ones I mentioned above and I also came across actual written music. The latter I have no idea how to read. So if guitar pro does do it in that simpler form, that would be awesome.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

First:

Guitar Pro is a software program which allows you to "read" the tab sheet music while, at the same time, play along to a midi sound version of the song.

It also allows you to slow down the tempo of the song to learn intricate passages, as well as a ton of other useful stuff later on down the road.

Most file-sharing sites should have a version of this available...I found mine on <cough>bearshare<cough>. Also, Ultimate-guitar.com has Guitar Pro tab files available for download.

Second:

Does the bridge and neck on your OLP look like this?

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/c6/d4/bbc7_1.JPG
    http://i10.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c6/d4/c01a_1.JPG

...smaller bridge, no tuning screws, no allen-screws to "lock" down the strings at the nut...

Or does it look like this?

http://i18.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/bc/77/4799_1.JPG
    http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/bc/77/48cf_1.JPG

...larger bridge, tuning screws, WITH allen-screws to "lock" down the strings at the nut...

The main difference being that when using the whammy bar *a lot* (which some VH songs do), the first guitar will tend to go out of tune relatively easily...something which may get to be aggravating for a newer guitar player, having to retune your guitar just about every time you breathe on it.