Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Interesting Guitar Spied in the Zloz book

So I received my copy of the Zloz's VH photo book, and lo and behold, on page 172 (or therabouts), there's a photo of Ed warming up backstage in '82and behind him, in addition to his regular lineup of axes from that tour is what looks to me like a black Gibson SG 12/6 doubleneck.

I can't recall ever seeing a photo of that guitar or reading about it, has anyone else?

Maybe it predated the Kramer doubleneck on the early dates of the tour?
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soon to be EX-fan View Post
    So I received my copy of the Zloz's VH photo book, and lo and behold, on page 172 (or therabouts), there's a photo of Ed warming up backstage in '82and behind him, in addition to his regular lineup of axes from that tour is what looks to me like a black Gibson SG 12/6 doubleneck.

I can't recall ever seeing a photo of that guitar or reading about it, has anyone else?

Maybe it predated the Kramer doubleneck on the early dates of the tour?
    I remember Ed mentioning in an interview that he'd owned one (in fact on page 23 of the "Guitar Legends Van Halen Issue" (Guitar World Summer 2004 #871) there is a picture of it.

He complained that the damned thing was simply far too heavy for him, and was not surprised that Jimmy Page tended to walk with a stoop.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I remember Ed mentioning in an interview that he'd owned one (in fact on page 23 of the "Guitar Legends Van Halen Issue" (Guitar World Summer 2004 #871) there is a picture of it.

He complained that the damned thing was simply far too heavy for him, and was not surprised that Jimmy Page tended to walk with a stoop.
    Didn't he mention recording "Secrets" on that guitar? Or one like it...I know they hadn't made the yellow Kramer doubleneck yet when they recorded.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    Didn't he mention recording "Secrets" on that guitar? Or one like it...I know they hadn't made the yellow Kramer doubleneck yet when they recorded.
    Yup, 11 pages later (page 34, same issue) he mentions using the 12 string of the Gibson to record "Secrets", along with the comments from the above post.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EDS-1275

He used that guitar on a Simple Rhyme also.

Ed had a hard time with the Gibson and Kramer built him the Yellow double neck. The way Ed used to wear his guitar real high, the Gibson was uncomfortable.

It sure sounded good and he played it well. I listened to Simple Rhyme a few weeks ago and I was blown away at how clean the intro is played.

If you have ever recorded with a 12 string you know how hard it is to play one cleanly.

Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Wow, I thought I was pretty well read when it came to his gear, but I guess not! Thanks for all of the info. Since this was a backstage photo, I've got assume he played it on at least some early dates on the DD tour, but I've never seen a live shot of his playing that guitar....
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    He used that guitar on a Simple Rhyme also.

Dude, I was about to say Simple Rhyme also, but for some reason I wasn't 100% sure he used it on that. It seemed like I had read something different once, so I went back and read an old GP interview and found this:

**GP: What kind of a 12 string did you overdub in “Simple Rhyme”?

**EVH: It’s a Rickenbacker electric. At first it didn’t sound right through my amp, and I asked Ted, “Can you doctor it up later in the mix?” Then I told him to forget it. I wanted to make it good out of the amp before it’s recorded. My theory is if it doesn’t sound good coming out of the speaker box, it ain’t going to happen on tape. ***

I'm surprised I remembered that. I used to be Mr. VH Encyclopedia, but I"m gettin old and my brain don't fire like it used to.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.17.08 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Nice

Jimmy I remember that interview now, I was sure that Ed used a Gibson, good eye. That Rickenbacher sure sounded nice with his Marshall. I saw the invasion tour and think they played simple rhyme live. Does anyone remember for sure?

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bosstone.net View Post
    Jimmy I remember that interview now, I was sure that Ed used a Gibson, good eye. That Rickenbacher sure sounded nice with his Marshall. I saw the invasion tour and think they played simple rhyme live. Does anyone remember for sure?
    I think he played it live on a regular 6-string. It (or parts of it)was played under a different name on some of the older bootlegs and, like I said about my memory before, I can't remember what the original title was.

- DLR 2012

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

We've got a picture of the guitar here...

http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/f...7089#msg227089
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com