Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

*** REVIEWS - San Diego, CA - 11.25.07 ***

This thread is for reviews of this show only.

NO DEBATES, QUESTIONS, OR DISCUSSIONS SHOULD TAKE PLACE HERE!

Please use the venue threads for any discussion. These are for reviews only. Other posts will be deleted without warning.

Thank you!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

The best fucking show I have ever seen, end of story.

They all kicked ass, Ed used a white EVH Wolfgang almost the whole show, beautiful guitar.
    Yes Dave got confused on Panama, but fixed it pretty well. The crowd went with it.

I got to go see more shows from this tour, defenetly a MUST SEE CONCERT.

Had the time of my life.

Got Wolfies pick, yeah the kid plays amazing!

Long Live Van Halen!!!!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Wow!

Awesome show!

Ed's been beat up alot around these here parts here but he sounded and moved around great the whole night. Tone might have been a little off or at least different in some of the later tunes like Unchained, but it really made no difference. He may have set up in front of Al but he was all over the place, looks like he was having a great time.

Dave: I've seen his solo shows around here for the last 5-6 years and I've been trying to tell people he's been sounding great so his performance didn't really surprise me. If anything he sounded better on several of the tunes than I expected.

Al: Great, don't know what else to add. Awesome drummer and he sounded it.

Wofie: Great musician. 16 years old? Shit!

Dance the Night Away was Awesome!
    EWS was Awesome. Ditto Pretty Woman. Those really ruled off the top of my head but pretty much everything else did too.

Piped in vocals? Maybe, maybe not. I could give a rat's ass. Put the damn Alaska pipeline under the stage if they can keep giving off shows like this.

On a personal note, I was 16 years old when me and a buddy hopped in my Ford Courier and drove down to Dallas for the Texxas Jam '79, mainly to see Boston. That was my first look at VH. I had my son last night at the show and it was neat showing him how a Real Rock band does things. He's a Junior and it was so neat that they did . . .and the Cradle Will Rock. Won't forget that anytime soon.

If you're on the fence about seeing this show, get your scrawny (or fat, if that applies) butt off the fence and see the damn thing already.

Well that's it, a totally unbiased review.

Now for me it's on to Anaheim 12/20 and Dallas when they announce that sucker.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

The Fulll Bug
    Last Online

11.27.07 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay. Yes, it's Van Squalen, actually. Before wadded panties come forthwith, no, I'm not aliasing, as I've announced my original identity with my first post, nor will I continue to use this tag, I'm not intending an unsanctioned return - I'll post in the review thread and the discussion thread, just to cover bases, I'm sure SD will be one of the less reviewed gigs. (BTW, the tag is an ode to the six million dollar man, not the wrestlemania dude).

I promised several pals after continued harassment (you lovely bastards) that I would make the attempt to post a review on the San Diego show. Many offered to post my review under their account names, but I'm loathe to have friends incur any enmity from the mods by posting an exile's take on the tour via proxy.

First, however, I wanted to personally thank those former compadres, be they dear friends, passing acquaintances, and even former combatants turned friendly associates, for the touching sentiments expressed in one or two threads regarding my departure some time back.

As to the consensus of the behavior of the 'rich yuppies up front who don't deserve to be there like the real fans who can't afford it.' Forty year old men who bash around in mosh pits look like fucking idiots. It's okay to rock hard without throwing elbows or drinking a dozen plastic cups of flat beer and subsequently via your obnoxious behavior ruin the show for the ten people surrounding you. Some of us have paid our dues for decades, with blood, sweat, puke, and tears, and we've earned the right to pay for not having to suck down clouds of your Mexican brick spliff or smell your Bacardi-drenched stank. Shut your cakeholes and accept that which you cannot change. If the dudes up front wanna stand and watch without giving themselves whiplash or getting arrested, they can. They paid for the privilege. They are no less entitled to it than you.

That said, the ramp section rawked out, no beans about it. At least, in our vicinity, which was front row pit Eddie's side. (some of you may remember, it's been a banner year for yours truly in terms of arena rock, one I expect I'll never match again - I've had front row in 2007 for the Police, Rush, the Scorpions, and now Van Halen 4).

Cox arena. What a hole. The loge rears up nearly 90 degrees. The whole floor is literally one giant pit. And the venue staff fucked up the seating...seats that were promised inside the ramp turned out to be just outside of it....several couples and families were split up on alternate sides of the ramp. Some folks got screwed on that big time. The ramp - total waste of floor real estate. Dave went out 2-3 times, Wolfgang twice....not worth the extra hassle. Coulda sold more up front seats. A useless stage apparatus.

It was a great show. The return of the mighty Van Halen? Hardly. Better than they were pre-85? Not remotely. DLR owning the stage? You betcha. EVH ripping it up for the most part? Ayup. Worth the price of front row and the effort in traversing to San Diego and back? Absolutely.

It's all about Dave, I certainly will concur with the majority of reviewers on that. He is enjoying himself, there is no denying it.

Even so, Edward, as always, held my attention over all else, just as he has for twenty odd years, at every show, no matter the frontman or setlist. In fact, he and I had a couple bonding moments.

I'll tit for tat my reflections...

Far and away, highlights of the evening hands down were Little Guitars and the three Women and Children First songs. EASILY the best tracks of the night. LG is still a crowd pleaser, and it was our favorite of the entire set. The WACF tracks were superb...Cradle surprisingly excellent, EWS a wonder to behold, and they NAILED Romeo. Awesome boogie-oogie-woogie stuff.

The little 'impromptu' jams and grooves Ed and Dave riffed on...the bluesy segues were very cool, even if they're rehearsed. I'm unsure if it's been mentioned in other reviews, but surely that 'motorcycle' bit they do has been discussed? Where Dave 'starts' up a crotch rocket sound vocally, then Ed matches it with the axe? Totally bitchin'.

We were less enamored with the VH 1 material, particularly Jamie's Cryin. They skipped the acapella part of I'm the One. We liked Atomic Punk and Little Dreamer mostly 'cause they're deeper cuts. Funny thing is, the two tracks we most wanted to hear off the first album - Feel Your Love Tonight and On Fire - are the only two VH1 tracks they don't play.

Beautiful Girls was fun, but interestingly, not a crowd booster.

SGMAD was standard. DTNA was great.

So This is Love - Utterly awesome.

As many reviews have noted, though, the other Warning tracks Unchained and Mean Street definitely sounded off-kilter. And not simply 'cause Ed's playing 'em differently...Dave was off on 'em too. Both songs sounded wonky.

Pretty Woman a complete waste of time.

I'll Wait not too bad at all, particulary the crunchy part Ed added in the intro with the axe. A bit 'harder' I'll Wait.

HFT sounded fine, but it seemed to lack the punch that song usually provides.

Ice Cream Man was kewl, but that story schtick should change night to night. It's not like Dave doesn't have the brains or improv skills.

Panama a crowd pleaser, but here's where, I think, an unscripted snafu occurred. Dave's riffin' away, after his 'ease the seat back' schtick, and he kinda segues into repeated bellows of the bridge chorus for ATBL (Mmm, got to got to bleed baby) while Ed's riffin'....he lost track of which song they were on, I suppose. Wolfgang walks over to him and whispers in his ear, then Ed leans into his mike and asks Dave 'Hey man....what the fuck are you doing,' starts cracking up. Dave starts bustin' up too, tells the crowd 'What the fuck do you expect, motherfuckers, it's been 23 years!' Pretty funny. Certainly signs of ye olde Van Halen wackery, for sure.

Lots of reviews stating Ed's solo lackluster. Not so last night, to my ears, not at all. An extended version of Cathedral sounded great, Women in Love intro suh-weet, and extraneous picking and wailing crisp and bluesy.

Big mistake encoring with Jump, of course.

I'm not gonna say much about the kid. Or the Mike Anthony thing. Most know how I feel about that. To be honest, we barely paid attention to him. Though I gotta ask bass players, what's with that strumming shit he does? I'm no musician, but most bassists seems to have a plucking style rather than a strumming style. Backing vocals may have been piped in on a few tracks. The sound is too fucking loud. Lots of vocals washed out in the mix. Granted, we were right in front of a main speaker in front row, it was BEYOND loud, I wore earplugs for the first time ever at a concert the whole way through, and I'm glad I did. Christ, turn it down some, boys. You're losing some of the quality of tone. Yeah, it's a Van Halen type show, it should be loud by nature, but not so much that it loses cohesion and flow.

Overall, songs were shortened dramatically...outros or intros skipped, several bridges and choruses here and there, a couple songs (STIL notably) had whole stanzas of lyrics passed over.

It all comes back to Ed, every time. At one point in the show I catch Ed's eye, I point at him thumbs up, he points at me and winks. He's got the goofy ne'er do well happy-go-lucky onstage persona down pat. I've been close to stage for the last several Van Halen type tours. Maybe he remembers me as a fan he's seen before. Maybe, fucked if I know. They're doing their final bows after Jump, he walks over to me, gives me a thumbs-up, points right at me and flicks a pick straight to me. It bounces off my ear and into the mounds of ticker tape confetti at our feet. Goddamn it! He only threw out two picks previous the whole night. Fuck a duck. I scramble for it as the band leaves the stage. Lights come up, the red-jacketed Cox security staff are hustling everyone outta the ramp immediately. I ask for some leeway to find my keepsake, but they're heartless bastards who wanna go home on a Sunday night. So the first time in all my years of VH attendance, Ed tosses a pick directly intended for me, and I miss the souvenir chance because of a Jump encore punctuated with ticker tape confetti piled thick on the floor and the chairs. No way was anyone gonna find it, a tiny pick among all the shredded tape, like a needle in a haystack. Fuck! Ah well.

I've been alternately hard and glowing about Ed over the years...just like all of you, he's like the brother you never met, ain't he. Goddamn if that motherfucker doesn't still have the juju to turn my cynical 39 year old ass into a 15 year old fanboy just by connecting with me, however brief and transcendent, during a gig. I love ya Ed, you putz.

Brantley, in the off chance you've read the longwinded preceding, check out one of the December LA gigs. It's worth it simply for LG and the WACF trax. Yet as of now I'm taking Dave's advice and plan on 'meeting them in the future, not the pasture.' I dunno how so many of you see multiple gigs on the same tour with the same set. They'll have to cut a new album for me to to check them out again, no matter the singer or circumstance.

Sentimentality is a powerful thing though. Fully entertaining concert.

Wanna see what Dave looks like from the front row three feet from you when he's fully diggin' the limelight?

Wanna see what Ed looks like from the front row three feet from you ripping it up?

Wanna see what Ed looks like from the front row when he's coming over to give you a guitar pick?

All righty then. Van Squalen out.
    Last edited by Steve Austin; 11.27.07 at 08:37 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

All non review questions and comments should go in the citys thread not the review thread.

Thanks.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

01.25.09 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a good show. I don't think the sound was as good as it was at staples. I had rear view 4th row tickets on eddies side and snuck up the aisle and stood against the rail for the whole show about 15 ft from side stage with a perfect view of the entire stage.

Dave fucked up the breakdown in panama getting a big laugh from wolfie and eddie.

Same setlist. Better dave story before ice cream man about using an ice cream truck as a beer cooler
    "I'm late to everything. I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half hour late and says on the side, like in gold, 'Sorry I'm Late'." - Axl Rose

Can You Feel It, See It, Hear It Today
    If You Can't, Then It Doesn't Matter Anyway

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Senorita aka Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.06.16 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default San Diego Show

I saw the Greensboro, NC. (2nd gig of '07 tour) six weeks ago and was delighted to see the performance overall maintained its quality. (I have a review of that show too). The emotion was still there from the audience and VH was grateful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Austin View Post
    Cox arena. What a hole. The loge rears up nearly 90 degrees. The whole floor is literally one giant pit. And the venue staff fucked up the seating...seats that were promised inside the ramp turned out to be just outside of it....several couples and families were split up on alternate sides of the ramp. Some folks got screwed on that big time. The ramp - total waste of floor real estate. Dave went out 2-3 times, Wolfgang twice....not worth the extra hassle. Coulda sold more up front seats. A useless stage apparatus.
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything here. One can only guess why such a small venue was booked. The only value here was to those who got to attend. At 3rd row center, our party was among the fortunate within the circle but there was commotion behind and knew some were getting screwed.

Aside from the Panama screwup, Dave was great. I think he was the last person in the entire venue to realize he was completely lost. After it, I studied his apologies, especially to Ed, and felt them heartfelt. Ed blew it off to my great relief...as he should have since Ed hadn't been error free either...to the challenge of his son who was only able to keep to the schedule by sync'ing up with his Uncle on da drums. So, unless this little drama was staged, you guys owe a great thanks to Al for keeping things rolling along, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Austin View Post
    Even so, Edward, as always, held my attention over all else, just as he has for twenty odd years, at every show, no matter the frontman or setlist. In fact, he and I had a couple bonding moments.
    Ditto. I think Ed thanked me for singing the chorus along with him. He didn't lay into it like he did back in Greensboro on the floor, but I'll thank him in Vegas for my third show!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Regarding why Cox Arena was booked?

Because that's all there is here. It's either that or the old Sports Arena. That's pushing 40 years old. There's Coors Amph. but not during late November. Sucks sorta.
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 12.07.07 at 12:50 AM.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

I can't believe so many of you think that "flub" during Panama was real! Hell even Dave had a hard time keeping a straight face.

It's all part of the "I forgot the fucking words!!!" schtick.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by guitard View Post
    I can't believe so many of you think that "flub" during Panama was real! Hell even Dave had a hard time keeping a straight face.

It's all part of the "I forgot the fucking words!!!" schtick.

I was there pal, and Dave did fucked up, you can see the youtube video and Wolf has to come by Dave and remember him they are playing Panama.
    It was pretty funny just looking at Alex laughing at the moment, and you can hear Ed say something to the mic also.
    It was a mistake plain and simple.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.16 @ 12:01 AM
    Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    I was there pal, and Dave did fucked up, you can see the youtube video and Wolf has to come by Dave and remember him they are playing Panama.
    It was pretty funny just looking at Alex laughing at the moment, and you can hear Ed say something to the mic also.
    It was a mistake plain and simple.
    Ah......... I see....since Wolf came and told him he was fucking up, that all of a sudden makes it real.

I saw Dave do the EXACT same schtick back in '79.

Lemme give you hint (and it's a real shocker!): Wolf was in on the joke.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

DLR has been doing this bit for a longgggggg time.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

03.06.08 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitard View Post
    Ah......... I see....since Wolf came and told him he was fucking up, that all of a sudden makes it real.

I saw Dave do the EXACT same schtick back in '79.

Lemme give you hint (and it's a real shocker!): Wolf was in on the joke.
    No, the "I forgot the fuckin' words' bit turned into a bit during Romeo or STIL during the old days, yes, but the San Diego thing was a real mistake. You could see it in Ed and Al's eyes, Ed said something into his mic, Wolf was actually reminding Dave where they were at in the song, Dave recovered nicely, but was a little embarassed anyway. That's why Dave had a trouble keeping a straight face. If it was scripted, why has that never happened before the SD show or since? Cause it wasn't scripted. You couldn't have seen Dave do the EXACT same schtick in '79 because Dave and Ed hadn't written Panama yet. What you mean is that Dave's been doing the 'I forgot the fuckin words' thing for that long. But the mix-up between ATBL and Panama lyrics was not like that at all. It was a one time oops.

No big deal, Dave's 'scat' bridges in ATBL and Panama are somewhat similar. No need to call the FBI or anything.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Just because Dave fixed things up, doesn't mean it was planned.

If you would have been there you would have known.

Get a Life!!