Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The Most (Over)Used/Abused Effect Of The 1980s? The Stereo Chorus

I apologize if this is a strange thread but I was listening to old tapes of my band from 1980 to 1986 and something stuck out. I had picked up an Ibanez Stereo Chorus in 1983, after some duchebag stole my Flanger, and I sort of fell in love with the damned thing. While I almost never used it durring solos I almost always had the damned thing on while playing rythmn. It made no difference if we were playing Scorpions, Santana or some punk tune, that poor Chorus was always on.

Today I don't know why I did that.

Today I almost never use the effect at all. I don't hate it or anything of that nature, I just don't feel the need to color my chord progressions like I did back in the day.

About the same time I had this revelation the radio station that I listen to on the way to work was having an "All 80s" weekend and low and behold it turns out that I wasn't the only guitarist to over-use his Stereo Chorus. 20 years later I'm wondering what the deal was. Was it the "Stereo" aspect of the Stereo Chorus that attracted so many guitarists or was it because every other guitar player was using one so the rest of us lined up to buy one.

I know it's a wierd topic but I figured I post it and see who else abused their Stereo Chorus back in the 1980s.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1, and Balance.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being.
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    I apologize if this is a strange thread but I was listening to old tapes of my band from 1980 to 1986 and something stuck out. I had picked up an Ibanez Stereo Chorus in 1983, after some duchebag stole my Flanger, and I sort of fell in love with the damned thing. While I almost never used it durring solos I almost always had the damned thing on while playing rythmn. It made no difference if we were playing Scorpions, Santana or some punk tune, that poor Chorus was always on.

Today I don't know why I did that.

Today I almost never use the effect at all. I don't hate it or anything of that nature, I just don't feel the need to color my chord progressions like I did back in the day.

About the same time I had this revelation the radio station that I listen to on the way to work was having an "All 80s" weekend and low and behold it turns out that I wasn't the only guitarist to over-use his Stereo Chorus. 20 years later I'm wondering what the deal was. Was it the "Stereo" aspect of the Stereo Chorus that attracted so many guitarists or was it because every other guitar player was using one so the rest of us lined up to buy one.

I know it's a wierd topic but I figured I post it and see who else abused their Stereo Chorus back in the 1980s.
    Fuck, I still abuse the Chorus effect to this day. I should note effects sound the best to me when applied on the lowest setting.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I still do also, best effect there is for a guitar in my book.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I still do also, best effect there is for a guitar in my book.

Love mine as well..... But then again, look at our ages, 80's guys?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

My tone in high school was my Ibanez--always on the bridge humbucker pickup--into a Boss SD-1 overdrive into a Roland JC-77 with the chorus ALWAYS on. I remember thinking I liked it because it reminded me of Eddie's tone. (Not sure WHY...) For a period of about ten years there (1994-2004) I rarely put an effect in my signal chain; it was just guitar into amp. I think that was a counter to everything I grew up knowing in the 80s. Effects are now just the occasional enhancement I use, and I finally bought a chorus again about two-and-a-half years ago. I'm not a fan anymore of the majority of the guitar tones from the 80s; how so many players took decent sounding PAF-like humbuckers played through JCM 800s and made it sound like shit is beyond me. I remember really appreciating the rawness of guitar tones in the 90s a lot (Soundgarden, Tom Morello, STP, etc.).

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I think it's incredibly accurate to state that chorus (or even Exciters) was an "overused" effect back then, but it's still my favorite effect when used tastefully.

Many people set the Effect (or percentage, whatever) level far too high. If you've got it set too high, especially with the Depth maxed, you're venturing into Zakk Wylde territory. Now, I love that territory while playing "Crazy Babies" or "No More Tears". I don't like it so much while playing "Panama".

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't use one much back in the '80s.
    Back then, most bands utilized two guitarists and one thing that was always important in any band I was ever in back then was sounding tight. Using a chorus pedal just sorta made things sound sloppy IMO, especially if there was another guitarist.

Fast forward to '90's ... I'm pulling all guitar duties and the chorus pedal is now my best friend. I'm not saying it stayed on all the time, but it helped thicken my sound and sorta filled that void for a second guitarist.

Of course, the type of music you play has alot to do with it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LOL! Okay, great...now I don't feel so bad. My Ibanez Stereo Chorus is still in my tool box ready for action.

I wasn't sure how this thread would go.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    LOL! Okay, great...now I don't feel so bad. My Ibanez Stereo Chorus is still in my tool box ready for action.

I wasn't sure how this thread would go.
    I use one playing cover tunes that have chorus effects. We do a couple of Police tunes, Purple Rain has it too, and I use it when we play Panama.

<edit> Oh yeah, I used it once when playing Red House and it gave a Frank Marino-style kick to it. Otherwise, I keep it simple.
    Last edited by jimmyw; 11.24.07 at 09:58 PM.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

always thought compression was the most over abused effect during the eighties...but yeah chorus would probably come a close second...though I too enjoy adding chorus to my tone...i like a slow drippy chorus...richie sambora uses chorus very well...at least he used to before he became a bloated drunk sissy playing toy guitars in a faggy wannabe country band with a singer who had his vocal chords surgically transplanted into his nasal cavity.

But yeah, chorus doesn't kill guitar tone, people do...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i used chorus a lot a few years ago then i had another guitarist join me in my band and it sounded real outa place, it made both of us sound bad, so i stopped using it and even sold my boss super chorus pedal.
    now i'm back as single guitar duties i have kinda rediscovered it and abuse it all the time to thicken my tone, but i usualy set all the dials to the minimum so its just a "light" effect but whenever i use a phaser or flanger i normaly turn it off coz it just sounds bad to my ears (is it just me or do other people find this)
    i think it also depends on where in the signal chain you have the chorus, mines usualy after the eq pedal and before the delay which seems to work for my tone.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

modulation effects are some of the most poorly used effects out there because of the timing issues...not knowing where in the chain to place them and not taking the time to really figure out the math involved, people just sort of throw on some chorus or vibrato and they have that going with some reverb and then they have some delay and then have a really fuzzy distortion on everything and wonder why no one wants to listen to them play...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    modulation effects are some of the most poorly used effects out there because of the timing issues...not knowing where in the chain to place them and not taking the time to really figure out the math involved, people just sort of throw on some chorus or vibrato and they have that going with some reverb and then they have some delay and then have a really fuzzy distortion on everything and wonder why no one wants to listen to them play...
    yeah it took me ages of knob tweeking in my bedroom (now that sounds rude!) to figure out the best placement and settings to get the best from the gear i have. like you say there is an art in getting it right and not over doing it. get a decent tone first(without any pedals) then start buiding on top of that and dont be affraid to move things around, even record stuff and listen back to it until you have a toe that works, then for the ultimate test get other people to listen to it and listen to them if they have any constructive ideas.....dont think you know it all!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I never really used a chorus that much even though I've always owned one. I always sounded like I was playing in a can and never could find a sound I liked with it. I broke that pedal out a few months ago just to see how it would sound with all this new and different equipment I have now... still get a can sound. So I gave up on it.... again lol.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Webbed1 View Post
    I never really used a chorus that much even though I've always owned one. I always sounded like I was playing in a can and never could find a sound I liked with it. I broke that pedal out a few months ago just to see how it would sound with all this new and different equipment I have now... still get a can sound. So I gave up on it.... again lol.
    i had the same experience with boss and digitech chorus...never really worked for me...then I saw Ian Moore for the first time and the Electro Harmonix was at the heart of his pedal board...i tried one out for myself days later and it's been the heart of my tone ever since...i've never heard another chorus that i liked anywhere near as much...the only thing I DON'T like about it, is that it overloads very quickly, especially with my guitars that seem to have hotter than average pick ups...i never thought so but it does. I fixed this by running lower into the pedal and then boosting that signal with a clean boost and viola...perfect.