Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default Need A Little Help From My Friends

Okay, here's the deal. I'm in a bit of a quandary about what to do.

You all know that I'm a truck driver. You also know that, for the most part, I really enjoy the job. It's enabled me to meet a couple of you (Lode, Mrs. Lode, SNIC, TP), and possibly hook up with a couple of you in the future.

It's nice not having a "boss" looking over your shoulder every waking moment. I'm able to see some incredible beauty that this land has to offer...and the scenery ain't bad either.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Last Saturday, RRMG, was in The Festival of Trees Choir and Orchestra concert here in the Quad Cities. At the end of the concert, RRMG, her Mom and I were walking out of green room and ran in to one of my first Program Directors when I was in radio. Each time we see each other, we briefly catch up with one another, exchange pleasantries, shake hands and go on our way.

THIS TIME HOWEVER....when he asked how I was doing and I told him my typical "6 feet and full of shit," he said; "Ya know, I've been thinking about you lately." That took me by surprise. (No NOT in that way )

I'm completely off-guard...and I responded with; "Oh really, why?" He told me he just became the PD at 97X (where our Eddie phone buddies Dwyer & Michaels are now at). He told me that he's trying to surround himself with people he's worked with in the past and that he truly likes and wants to talk to me about doing afternoons.

After a few flabbergasted, awkward moments, I responded with probably the most intelligent thing I've ever said; "You've worked with every icon in this area; why me?" WTF was I thinking????

He told me that, unbeknownst to me, he had followed my time in radio, from the beginning until I left radio and started driving. He said that I'm exactly what he wants for the station and that we really need to talk.

Okay...did the stars align and my Karma is coming back around?

I told him that "IF" I were to get back in radio, I had a list of "demands/considerations" that would have to be worked with, in order to make it right in my mind. He told me that he expected no less and was glad that I had finally come up with "provisions" to haggle over.

You see, for me radio was an any place; anytime situation. Pay me what's fair and I'll work. This guy told me to never settle for less than what I felt I deserved; ultimately, I always did settle for less. But as long as I was working, I could make up for it by getting club gigs, V/O work, etc.

So, I've been re-compiling my list to go over with him, of things I feel are fair.

Now for my quandary:

WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!?!?!

Again, I really love driving. Does being gone on the road, a lot, get old? Yes. But I've grown accustom to the "freedom" of driving and enjoy not being bound to an office setting. Plus it give me an opportunity to maybe meet up with my extended family here at the Links.

BUT...

I miss being able to have the fun I had in radio. Was some of it mundane and routine? Yeah; but I met some incredible people doing radio, one being this PD. He's a truly awesome guy. Dwyer & Michaels are two guys too. Plus I've met A LOT of "stars" that I consider to be good acquaintances. I've done a lot of fun things in radio too...FREE.

Holy crap y'all. I'm floundering here and need advice. Something like this ALWAYS happens to "the other guy." Never me. Maybe I should post my list of "considerations" to give you a better idea of what I'm going in with and I can get ideas of what to do from that?

Don't let me down here gang. You've come through for me before.

Like one of my quotes says: I'm so damned confused I don't know wether to scratch my watch or wind my ass."
    Last edited by RRMB; 11.22.07 at 10:14 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I'm a firm believer in listening to your heart. You can call that your conscience, your God, whatever...but I've rarely seen people who've later regretted following their hearts.

Now, I see this as a possible opportunity for you to be around more for RRMG. Think about everything ya'll have been through the last several months and how you weren't able to be around at certain moments (and you would've given ANYTHING to have been able to be there). This is just my opinion, but I see this as a window opening for you to be able to be there for your family. You were really wanting that awhile back and maybe now you're getting it. It's at least something you should really consider.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Pick Heads for "head out on the road truckin'" and Tails for "high tail it back into radio"...

Flip a Quarter or higher demonination and whichever one you hope it lands on is the one you should do...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

If the only thing holding you back is fear of change,,, then change... gor for it.

if you truly love both equally, then thats a tough call.

I assume you could always go back to trucking?
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

listen to what he has to say...often times when opportunities seemingly come out of nowhwere they're arent worth taking and the person doing the offering is full of crap. If this ISN"T the case here and it ends up being as great a situation as it sounds like take the gig! Why not? You can always get back in a rig...opportunities to get back behind the mic don't present themselves quite so easily.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

You get a satellite on the top of the truck, a microphone in the cab and an engineer back at the station and every day when it's time for your shift you're parked at a rest area/truck stop doing your show live from the road!

The truckin' DJ! Don't forget to play "The Legend Of Wooley Swamp"!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I would talk to the guy see what he has to offer, see how serious he is.

Then go with your heart.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know the circumstances that led to your being out of radio. If you left something you loved under bad circumstances, it would be natural for you to be hesitant before jumping back in. What did you love about being in radio? Would it still apply if you went back into the industry?

I think, as many others have said, you must hear the whole offer before you make the decision. I would assume that DJs have a certain "shelf-life," so to speak. Do truck drivers? Probably not.

Follow your heart, or you'll regret it.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was in a sort of similar situation just 3 weeks ago. I had applied for a transfer to a music course and had done in for a few days when I suddenly got a call from this firm I had sent my CV earlier who offered me $50,000 p/a + bonus job in webdesign industry (50 grand is alot in the UK, especially considering my age). So I had a really interesting situation there - either I take a very well paid office job, start building a career, get a mortage etc, or I carry on studying and playing music without having a clue where that would eventually lead me.

There was one thing that made me make a firm decision, but to cut it short I chose music, because that's my greatest passion and I don't want to do anything else than that. Go with what your heart tells you.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Don't know how it is there, but I know around here I see ads for drivers everywhere. Might be apples and oranges compared to what you do/where you are, but to me, the fact that one is a limited opportunity vs. the other being something you could probably find again...

I regret not pursuing professional basketball overseas out of college - you only have so much opportunity, I feel like I wasted one there. The job I took was terrific, made lasting friendships, etc., but I could have gotten an office job like that any time, only could do the hoops over a very short window. I thought I'd had my fill of working out, being in shape, always being sore from something, but I was wrong. I'm in pain every day now anyway, without the memories...

Seriously, if the DJ job appeals to you at all, probably should do it, as I doubt opportunities like this particular one come along all that much.

Oh, and Mish - ballsy choice dude. Now is the time if you're ever going to go for it, for all the reasons - mortgage, family, etc. - you mentioned. Once you saddle up with those responsibilities...
    Last edited by jrk5150; 11.26.07 at 11:18 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Go for the radio gig. Who knows when that opportunity will come your way again.

You can always go back to trucking later on.

Best of luck whatever you choose.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I've always been interested in radio, so I know where I would go. I've never done it, but it seems like something that I would like.

As others have said here, listen to his pitch and then listen to what your gut says. Good luck my friend!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a big believer that God opens doors for us, but allows us the will to choose. I had a similar choice to make and I opted for the open door which brought my family and I to Cincinnati 3 years ago and I have not regretted a minute.

You can always go back to driving. I'd listen to what the guy has to say.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

This is quite unbelievable, and I'll tell you why.
    I left the radio business about 9 years ago, and at the time, it was the right thing.
    I had turned into an asshole, and it was time to grow up. They wanted me gone, and i didn't want to be there.
    In February, the guy who fired me called me up. He was opening his own station (one of three much needed new ones in this part of the world) and was offering me the morning show if i wanted.
    It made me realize how much i missed it, even if all these years i tell people i don't.

It also made me feel like people recognized that i've made some changes and, while still somewhat of an asshole, i'm not as big of an asshole. That was a good feeling.

But, the money I'm making and the hours I'm keeping in the job i ended up at are much more in touch with my families needs, so , i had to say no.
    Plus my wife would have had kittens if I'd said yes. (which i could have dealt with if the money was there.)

And, I've been fairly miserable, and somewhat resentful ever since, especially when i listen to the ass clown that they hired instead.

My advice to you is, if there's away you can do it within your lifestyle, then you must absolutely go for it.
    You wouldn't be in here asking our opinion if it didn't' really matter.

And who knows, if i ever decide to go crazy, or the opportunity to go crazy presents itself to me, i may send you a note requesting the opportunity to do an air check.
    Last edited by Duke; 11.27.07 at 08:04 PM.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

RADIO:
    -This opportunity may not arise again
    -Music seems to be a passion of yours
    -Lessen risk of traffic accident just driving to the station daily
    -The weather is always good in the office
    -You are always stuck in the office
    -More time with RRMG

TRUCK DRIVING:
    -Can always fall back on it
    -You can only listen to the radio
    -Increased risk of traffic accidents
    -Weather can suck at times
    -Have the freedom of the open road
    -Time away from RRMG
    -Will always have to look back in retrospect and say "should I have done radio again?"

Just some thoughts. Many that others have already shared. But I agree that if you are going to make the move you should try to get it as close as possible to the terms you want. Wish you the best in the whole deal.

SNIC

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top