Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.03.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Changing Pickups in a Peavey Wolfgang

I would like to install a Seymour Duncan Custom 78 humbucker in a Wolfgang. Is this possible without routing into the wood? Your thoughts?

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'm about to pull my Fred I installed in my old Ibanez and put it in my Wolf. I've always felt the Wolf's pu was too hot. But to answer your question... I don't know, I'm not the wiring genius kinda guy. Experimenting sure is fun!
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

If the ears on the 78 are longer than the relatively short ones that are on the Wolf pickup (they are made to be directly mounted to the body), then you'll have to do some routing. It's not easy nor practical to try and cut off and/or re-shape the mounting ears on a pickup.

Also, remember that the output on the neck pickup of the Wolf is actually HIGHER than the bridge pickup. If you plan to keep the original Wolf neck pickup in, there will be quite a significant different in volume from it to the 78.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    It's not easy nor practical to try and cut off and/or re-shape the mounting ears on a pickup.
    Its a lot easier than routing the body. Just grind the mounting tabs(ears)to match the stock Wolf pickups and make sure they are the short mounting tabs.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    Its a lot easier than routing the body. Just grind the mounting tabs(ears)to match the stock Wolf pickups and make sure they are the short mounting tabs.
    Trimming the tabs to the "round" shape is easy, yes. SHORTENING the entire piece is not. That's what I was talking about.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Trimming the tabs to the "round" shape is easy, yes. SHORTENING the entire piece is not. That's what I was talking about.
    That sure was what you were talking about, sorry I just skimmed over your original post. Yeah , don`t even think about using the long legged tabs in the bridge or neck. And I probably should have mentioned that even rounding the tabs it will still take some elbow grease to get a Duncan in the Wolf pickup cavity. If it was me I`d use Dimarzios in a Wolfgang. They are a direct fit , no mods required.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem.

The easier (and cheaper!) solution would be to try DiMarzio's Virtual Hot PAF.

Not just the Virtual PAF, but the Virtual HOT PAF. 9.3k DC resistance with the Airbucker scheme that tames the highs, and also keeps your bottom-end from getting too flubby.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just swap the brackets ... problem solved.

Unscrew the brackets from the backside, desolder the ground, re-solder the ground and mount the '78 pickup on the Wolfgang bracket.

Perfect fit!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Just swap the brackets ... problem solved.

Unscrew the brackets from the backside, desolder the ground, re-solder the ground and mount the '78 pickup on the Wolfgang bracket.

Perfect fit!
    Ah, indeed, Dino... it is easy for someone like yourself. Despite all my guitar tinkerings and modifications, I still haven't reached the point where I'm brave enough to disassemble a pickup like so.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah, indeed, Dino... it is easy for someone like yourself. Despite all my guitar tinkerings and modifications, I still haven't reached the point where I'm brave enough to disassemble a pickup like so.
    It only sounds difficult because you've never done it.
    Once the bracket is removed, you'll see exactly what needs to be done.
    It's not difficult at all. And having brackets that you know already fit is something you should take advantage of IMO.

In some cases, I've had to fabricate pickup shims if the brackets were too low or the route was too deep ...

Here's how I've done it ...
    Take a piece of 2" masking tape and cover the cavity.
    Then take a pencil and "shadow" the outline of the cavity and there's your template! Then I just transfered the tape to a 1/4" piece of poplar and cut it out on the bandsaw and shaped it to fit, like so ...

I suppose the same can be done with foam, washers, etc., but for those who believe mounting pickups directly to the wood makes a difference, this is probably a good solution.

Last edited by Dino5150; 11.22.07 at 07:13 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That's pretty slick--and actually really helpful. I'd been thinking about doing something like that for a Warmoth body I've got where the pickup cavities are too deep. Thanks for the guide!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Outstanding Dino. Thanks. I am going to make an attempt to install a SD 78 in the bridge section of my Wolfgang. If all goes well, I may buy a 78 for the neck too.
    The Wolfgang plays great and sounds good, but it is so high gain that is sounds mushy. It is like the EQ is scooped to a sad face. It reminds me of a SD SH-6 distortion. When I play leads or finger tap there is always that fuzz noise going on to some extent because they are so hot. I have never had that problem with the SD 78, it is raw without the gainy fuzz. I had a strat that had a SD SH-6 distortion pickup and it was doing exactly what the Wolfgang does. Changed pickups to the 78 and now it sounds so much cleaner and clearer. However, it still has the tons of harmonic response, maybe more.
    Ed's sound was never scooped (mids cut) until he started playing the Wolfgangs (including the EBMM). It was cleaner and cleaner with more growl. I have not been a fan of his sound ever since he started playing EBMMs. That is just me though, everyone like different things.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c2dzmm View Post
    Outstanding Dino. Thanks. I am going to make an attempt to install a SD 78 in the bridge section of my Wolfgang. If all goes well, I may buy a 78 for the neck too.
    The Wolfgang plays great and sounds good, but it is so high gain that is sounds mushy. It is like the EQ is scooped to a sad face. It reminds me of a SD SH-6 distortion. When I play leads or finger tap there is always that fuzz noise going on to some extent because they are so hot. I have never had that problem with the SD 78, it is raw without the gainy fuzz. I had a strat that had a SD SH-6 distortion pickup and it was doing exactly what the Wolfgang does. Changed pickups to the 78 and now it sounds so much cleaner and clearer. However, it still has the tons of harmonic response, maybe more.
    Ed's sound was never scooped (mids cut) until he started playing the Wolfgangs (including the EBMM). It was cleaner and cleaner with more growl. I have not been a fan of his sound ever since he started playing EBMMs. That is just me though, everyone like different things.
    Glad I could help.
    If you haven't already bought the '78, I'd suggest trying a TB-11 Custom Custom.
    Awesome pickup and ALOT cheaper.

JMO

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I own 2 EBMMs, and I dislike the pickups as well.

The Custom Custom is an awesome pickup, and doesn't have a harsh tone in it. It can mud-up, though, depending on the amp and settings you're using.

High-output pickup with an abundance of mids, slammed into a high-gain amp can equal trouble!

You can usually find someone in the Duncan forums that will share the cost of a Hybrid with you. A Hybrid is one coil from a '59, and one coil from the Custom Custom, using the Custom Custom's Alnico 2 magnet, which is the same "warm" magnet in the '78. It sits (logically) in between a PAF and a high output pickup in DC resistance. Again, logically, it's got more "push" than a PAF, and way more articulation and string-to-string clarity than a high output pickup while playing chords.

So you should be able to pull off both "5150", and also "Women in Love".

Usually BachToRock has some that you can buy for a "regular" price.

That said, you'll still have to file the feet to get it to fit, which is why I recommended DiMarzio's Virtual Hot PAF.

It would be cool if you went with a Hybrid, though. There are a couple people over at the Duncan forums that have done it......they're a bit more into adventure than we are here with their Van Halen guitars.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not mind altering the SD 78 pickup bracket to make it fit. I would assume if I were to sell the guitar some day that there would be people interested in a Wolfgang with a SD 78. Is this a fair statement?