Favorite VH Album

The first four
    Favorite VH Song

Changes daily!
    Last Online

07.06.08 @ 03:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default John Sykes bought one of the Frankenteins

On his site, John Sykes (ex Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake) shows off his Frankenstein and talks about how much he loves it. I wonder what he paid?

http://www.johnsykes.com/gear.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

That's pretty much who can afford these instruments... celebrities with some serious disposable income. And that's why us regular folk have to make our own!!!

We just can't sell the finished product on ebay.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    That's pretty much who can afford these instruments... celebrities with some serious disposable income. And that's why us regular folk have to make our own!!!

We just can't sell the finished product on ebay.
    +1

It's ironic how Fender can rob people of $25k for those guitars, yet someone down on their luck who's just trying to sell their own for what it's REALLY worth is "breaking the law".

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    +1

It's ironic how Fender can rob people of $25k for those guitars, yet someone down on their luck who's just trying to sell their own for what it's REALLY worth is "breaking the law".

though I personally don't think the frankie, or the clapton or SRV for that matter, are worth 25K I certainly don't think it's any more of a case of robbery than any other high end collectible. I mean come on, there are million dollar cars, 1000 dollar shots of whiskey and on and on and on...there's a market for these types of items because there are people who are fine with dropping that kind of cash, in fact they are LOOKING for things to drop that kind of cash on. And as far as selling one you made yourself on ebay, well, you're the one that broke whatever copyright laws are involved....had you paid whatever Fender paid for the rights, you could punch out as many as you want and sell them at whatever price you want.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    though I personally don't think the frankie, or the clapton or SRV for that matter, are worth 25K I certainly don't think it's any more of a case of robbery than any other high end collectible. I mean come on, there are million dollar cars, 1000 dollar shots of whiskey and on and on and on...there's a market for these types of items because there are people who are fine with dropping that kind of cash, in fact they are LOOKING for things to drop that kind of cash on. And as far as selling one you made yourself on ebay, well, you're the one that broke whatever copyright laws are involved....had you paid whatever Fender paid for the rights, you could punch out as many as you want and sell them at whatever price you want.
    Sorry, but I don't sell guitars.
    I simply provide services for restorations, repairs, and paintjobs.
    And yeah, I think $25k for a guitar of that caliber is absurd.
    It's not a D'Aquisto or a D'Angelico ... it's a Fender for pete's sake.

If someone had $25k to spend on a guitar for investment purposes, they could do ALOT better IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

You rule Dino.

I've been meaning to come to your shop. I have a couple of guitars that need to be wired up. I'm down in Reston, VA...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry, but I don't sell guitars.
    I simply provide services for restorations, repairs, and paintjobs.
    And yeah, I think $25k for a guitar of that caliber is absurd.
    It's not a D'Aquisto or a D'Angelico ... it's a Fender for pete's sake.

If someone had $25k to spend on a guitar for investment purposes, they could do ALOT better IMO.
    i agree completely. What I was saying is that it's not robbery if there are people that want to spend it...stupid maybe, robbery hardly.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

SRV's Lenny is gonna list at $17,000 when it comes out in a month.....now THAT'S a bargain!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't mean any disrespect towards Fender in my comments.
    I guess I just never understood the whole fake "relic" thing.
    I personally would consider an early pre-CBS Fender a wise investment and could easily justify a $25k price tag with the historical value alone.

What I can't justify is a $25k price tag on replica guitar that's intentionally made to look as though it has a history when in fact it does not.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

I didn't mean any disrespect towards Fender in my comments.
    I guess I just never understood the whole fake "relic" thing.
    I personally would consider an early pre-CBS Fender a wise investment and could easily justify a $25k price tag with the historical value alone.

What I can't justify is a $25k price tag on replica guitar that's intentionally made to look as though it has a history when in fact it does not.
    Fuck Fender! Biggest whores in the industry.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's just another company run by suits instead of people that truly love guitars. They don't know any better; they're just working for Christmas Bonuses.
    If anyone has $25k to blow on 1 guitar feel free to contact me or any other custom builder and you could have 8-10 guitars for that. Of course I can't paint illegal paintjobs, or sell illegal headstocks, but for that amount of money you can have 8-10 new guitars built to your specs. I guess I'm a whore now too!
    Oh well!
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    I guess I'm a whore now too!
    Oh well!
    Not even close to the same thing. Caring, and trying to give your customer base bang for the buck is a helluva lot different than slapping together a couple of pieces of wood and demanding a dealer stock whatever bullshit you come up with. How many times do these fuckers need to build an $800.00 Squire before they realize the demographic equates that brand with a $200.00 guitar? Anyone interested in a Fender Les Paul? Fuck no! Yet, every year this re-hashed bullshit gets thrown out there (never sticking) and independent dealers are force-fed over-priced, unrealistic buy-ins. Only to have these products rot on the shelf. Then, when you finally think it's gotten as bad as it can get, they sell the shit to Guitar Center at off the page discounts, who in turn, sells it for less than the indy paid for it. After that, the rep comes in and inventories ones store and places the blame on the dealer.

It's guys like you that make the industry more exciting. Passion and knowledge go a long way in my book.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fender like all big companies is really easy to bag on. And as someone who worked very closely with them for several years, I saw more than my fair share of complete and utter crap. But for over 50 years they have set the standard for bang for the buck US made factory line guitars. Of COURSE you can get 8 to 10 kick ass custom made guitars from any number of incredibly talented and knowledgeable luthiers around the country for 25,000 dollars. Anyone that spends 100K on a top of the line car can also get 8 to 10 kick ass cars...but that's not what those people are looking for. They're looking for a chance to own a replica of one of the most famous guitars ever and they dont want one made by a guy with a little shop downtown. They want one that comes with Ed's stamp of approval. That may seem stupid but that's what they want.

It's easy to hate big companies and proclaim the nobility of the little guy, the independant, as being somehow more knowledgeable but in reality, it's not nearly that clearly marked. I've run into just as many complete and utter dicks on the independant scene who don't know shit about making, selling repairing or even playing a guitar who do nothing but bitch about not having more customers, people's unsophisticated tastes in instruments and how big bad Guitar Center and the other whore companies like Fender and Gibson are fucking up the market as I have "suits" who have no real passion or knowledge for music working for the big companies. And conversely, I've met just as many as great guys who love the business, are complete gear nerds who still romanticize everything and really believe in doing what they do on both sides of the divde.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Fender like all big companies is really easy to bag on. And as someone who worked very closely with them for several years, I saw more than my fair share of complete and utter crap. But for over 50 years they have set the standard for bang for the buck US made factory line guitars. Of COURSE you can get 8 to 10 kick ass custom made guitars from any number of incredibly talented and knowledgeable luthiers around the country for 25,000 dollars. Anyone that spends 100K on a top of the line car can also get 8 to 10 kick ass cars...but that's not what those people are looking for. They're looking for a chance to own a replica of one of the most famous guitars ever and they dont want one made by a guy with a little shop downtown. They want one that comes with Ed's stamp of approval. That may seem stupid but that's what they want.

It's easy to hate big companies and proclaim the nobility of the little guy, the independant, as being somehow more knowledgeable but in reality, it's not nearly that clearly marked. I've run into just as many complete and utter dicks on the independant scene who don't know shit about making, selling repairing or even playing a guitar who do nothing but bitch about not having more customers, people's unsophisticated tastes in instruments and how big bad Guitar Center and the other whore companies like Fender and Gibson are fucking up the market as I have "suits" who have no real passion or knowledge for music working for the big companies. And conversely, I've met just as many as great guys who love the business, are complete gear nerds who still romanticize everything and really believe in doing what they do on both sides of the divde.
    I agree with this post.

Last Online

Yeah, it's hard to believe the backbone of the country should want a level playing field. If it makes you guys feel any better, I will now go about trying to talk every self-employed person I know into just giving up. I'll start with Divebomb;Pack it in buddy.